View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
argyle
Supersport 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monte View Post
Let me know if you have any other questions about the 550,

Monte
Thanks for your input, Monte. The more reviews I read, (and the more my brain itches) the 550 keeps floating up to the top in terms of overall value and quality. Reading the reviews on Amazon about the Tomtom rider scared me off - there were as many 5s as there were 1s, and as many 4s as there were 2s.

One of the weirdest things about the 550 is that Garmin's website lists its MSRP at $650, but it seems to be selling online for about $900. I found it at gpscity.com for $680, but since that seems so far below the standard selling price of other places, I don't know if that is a bargain or an indication that the seller is pulling something funny - like selling refurbished units as new.

Ok, now a couple of questions.

1) how big of an SD card do you have, and how much of the map do you have load on it? 2) can you choose what parts of the map to load where? I never travel east of St. Louis on my bike, so I would choose (if I could) to load the western US on the unit itself.

3) some of the GPS units have lifetime map updates available for and extra $50, and I have read that lifetime updates cost about $80 if you purchase them directly. Country highways and interstates can't change that much, so are the updates mostly for city navigation?

4) What features do you like best about the 550?

5) What do you like least?

T'anx

'07 America, AI removed, Hyde Bellmouth, long TORS, 125 mains
'10 Thunderbird, BB kit, long TORS

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome