Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums - View Single Post - New to Forum and New to Riding.
View Single Post
post #30 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 08:46 AM
robertrichhart
Powerbike

Started on an America in 2008 after a 30 year period of little riding. I'm 5' 9" so the America felt about right as a bike to get my skills back up to par on. Practiced a lot in the school parking lot before going to take the skills test at the BMV, and passed it with flying colors. Only had the America for 9 months when the new TBird came out... sat on one at the dealer and that was it, traded and never looked back. I have to say in comparing the two bikes, the Thunderbird is a much better handling bike in the corners, and in the parking lots. Although a heavier bike, the low center of gravity makes a very pleasant bike to handle at low speeds. I have wondered if the TBird were available when I purchased the America, whether I would have gone for the bigger bike to start with? I think for me the America was a good confidence builder, so I agree with others here. Find an inexpensive, used starter bike for a few months and get your confidence and balance back up to par, and you will lose very little when it's time to upgrade to the TBird.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome