Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums - View Single Post - 2010 thunderbird rear wheel removal ?
View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 11:37 AM
Wells
Powerbike

Be sure to mark exactly where the tire is currently in terms of wheel alignment and position! There are others on here that have gone through this, and they can certainly tell you the procedure that works for good wheel alignment.

From what I remember of those discussions, the procedure for alignment that is stated in the manual is not accurate (but I could be wrong on this).

As for a replacement tire, you have a small selection to choose from for the rear. I know that the following companies have replacements:

Bridgestone
Dunlop
Metzeler (of course)

Avon makes a 200/55r17 that will fit, but it will throw off your speedometer a bit (some say it actually fixes the the indications such that it shows actual speed, instead of indicating faster than actual).

I am running the Avons front and rear right now, having already gone through two Metzelers, a Bridgestone, and a Dunlop (the second Metzeler and Dunlop both met untimely early ends due to road hazards).

So far the Dunlop had the longest life (it is a dual-compound tire) despite the early end from a big nail. I do have big hopes for the Avon right now though, as it is wearing quite well.

Past Bikes:
2010 Triumph Thunderbird
2006 Suzuki Boulevard S50

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome