Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums - View Single Post - Yes or No to ABS
View Single Post
post #29 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 10:55 PM
56Renegade
Grand Prix 500

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg2010 View Post
Looking to trade my speedmaster for a new thunderbird at some point in time. I have never had a bike with ABS before and would like to hear what everyone has to say about this in general and about Triumphs' ABS system. I know some things are personal choice but would like any input to help me decide which way to go. Thanks for any input. Mark
Before I bought my SE a number of folks said that ABS was a good idea. i had already put it on my wishlist of whatever I was going to get. Either way depending on the out the door price of the bike, I figured I'd be okay.

When I selected the SE as my new ride, I was happy that the ABS was part of the package. I'm cruising along at 50 MPH when Dufus pulls out in front of me I'm looking at a 4 ft deep ditch or high siding the bike or slamming into Dipstick's black Mazda. I hit the rear brake harder than I intended. The result was dropping from 50 to 5 in 50 to 60 ft. My 'Bird ran straight and true to the edge of the roadway at the shoulder. I ended up 3-4 ft behind Dimwit's rear bumper at the closest point when I could downshift to first gear, (AND my butt cheeks could let go of the seat ).

I'll never own another street bike that doesn't have ABS.

Happy Trails,

56R

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome