Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums - View Single Post - For those doing their 12k maintenance...
View Single Post
post #19 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Wells
Powerbike

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkdog View Post
I remember seeing these posts but I forget which site. I think they used a screwdriver to compress the springs althrough I do not like this as it nicks the springs and creates "stress risers" on a already overworked part. BTW if any has had their valves adjusted, not checked but adjusted, you can tell by looking at the chain tensioner at the front of the engine, If it looks ( the bolts mainly ) like it came from the factory chances are they did not adjust the valves. And also the cam cover bolts should should signs of removal as well as other things if you look and I encourage you to do so after the service, if it still looks factory question them hard!!
The other thing to do if they had to adjust the valves is to ask for the old shims.

Other things to look for after they have done this kind of work is for both oil and coolant leaks. Oil is obvious because of the cover, but in order to get that cover off a coolant pipe has to be removed, and this pipe is attached to two of the biggest offenders of coolant leaks on the bike, those two hose clamp connections up near the top of the radiator.

Also, when they put the cover back on, those four disks you see on the outside of the engine are supposed to be sealed in using a sealant.. there may still be some tell-tale sealant showing, so that is a good indication that they were at least in there.

Past Bikes:
2010 Triumph Thunderbird
2006 Suzuki Boulevard S50

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome