Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Tail Bag for Street Twin with bench seat.

17K views 28 replies 18 participants last post by  JoeDuc 
#1 ·
I have the Triumph after-market bench seat for my '16 ST. It has the 4 built in loops on the back. Are these for mounting a tail bag directly to the seat instead of a luggage rack and/or to the frame? There really isn't any info out there for what these loops are actually for. I'm looking at getting a tail bag, something like a 24L Cortech, most have 4 point mounting but it always shows them mounted directly to the frame, just wondering if these seat loops are up for the task?
btw, I'm looking to incorporate a tail bag only, I don't have a grab rail and don't intend on using one.

any info or ideas appreciated!
thanks!

#14 ·
Ebay Special:

Grab a cheap dry bag to put inside and you’re good to go. I have one for my Speed Twin and it works just fine.

Edit: just saw the part about it being 24L. This will not fit the bill.
Does that just strap under the seat? Thinking about it for my Thruxton with the original seat. That would be nice for longer day trips to hold rain gear or a snack.

#7 ·
Yeah, that looks nice. As much as the Kriega seems nice, I don't like that it appears it needs to be tied down based on how full it is, so it's basically just bungee cording a bag to the seat, as opposed to one like that Nelson Rigg that is stiff and ties to the bottom of the bag, so once it's mounted the strap lengths are the same regardless of how much stuff is in it.

#28 ·
I have two of these Nelson Riggs, been using them for many years on a variety of different bike. It's not too big but can be expanded if required, top notch quality, and well designed. What's not to like??

Paul

#11 ·
I have the Triumph after-market bench seat for my '16 ST. It has the 4 built in loops on the back. Are these for mounting a tail bag directly to the seat instead of a luggage rack and/or to the frame? There really isn't any info out there for what these loops are actually for. I'm looking at getting a tail bag, something like a 24L Cortech, most have 4 point mounting but it always shows them mounted directly to the frame, just wondering if these seat loops are up for the task?
Any bag can be a tail bag, with a pair of Rok Straps. I actually prefer this method, because my "tail bag" is actually a much more carry friendly Kriega Messenger Bag, which also happens to look classier when carried off the bike. When I need a larger tail bag, just pick whatever bag I want, adjust the Rok Straps to secure it and its done - no fiddling with proprietary strap systems.

Plus, I don't want extra mounting straps and metal clasps hanging off the bag, clanging around during carry. Or even worse, extra straps that stay attached to the bike clanging around, scratching, or getting caught in the sprocket. With Rok Straps, after you unclip the bag, the straps clip together and cinch down tight. No flappy straps involved.

My favorite setup for touring is two "tail bags" fused together: an ordinary roll-top 30l drybag, and a Kriega R30 backpack. The drybag "wears" the backpack, if you can imagine that, where the backpack chest straps clip around the drybag. This pair then gets Rok Strapped to the back seat. Waterproof, and if I want, I can wear the backpack for walking carry capacity while traveling, and even clip the drybag onto the backpack when carrying.

Kind of an outside the box solution, but the flexibility affords me a lot more carry and usage options than an ordinary set of moto luggage ever could.

#12 · (Edited)
For touring I really like my Givi UT805 35L Cargo Bag. It's too big for everyday use, but it sure is nice on multi-day trips. 'Tween it and my Givi E21 hard bags I can carry everything I need for a week or more.

Pete

Note: The Triumph waxed-cotton panniers in the photo below have been replaced by Givi E21 hard bags since the photo was taken.

rePete

Attachments

#23 ·
A review of Nelson rigg tail pak,
Overall a good product,

Build quality ????
Luggage capacity is good, expanded will fit a full face helmet, or approximately 30 litres, plenty for a weekend trip.
Fitting to the bike is simple enough, sits securely and once riding you don't know it's there.
With connecting straps in place it takes all of a minute to fasten to the bike.
Overall a great product, I think it suits the look of the bike.
Value for money??? OK it cost me around $200 AUD, so it wasn't cheap but it has a life time guarantee.
So yes considering I have no luggage or pannier racks this is a great solution for quick trips to the grocery store or a weekend away.
Recommend if this is the sort of thing your looking for?

Fitting to bike ????

#25 ·
Looks good and I'm also happy with mine, the smallest version they have called "Commuter Lite Motorcycle Tail/Seat Bag". Can't fit a helmet in mine but that's fine for me.

#26 ·
OK, after a year of using my Nelson rigg tail pack on daily basis, it's been a great solution for carrying what I need from a bag of groceries or a dozen beers. Expanded it will comfortably carry everything required for a weekend away. Overall a very good product which works on the triumph bench seat very well

#29 ·
Here's my T100 with a Held expandable tail pack, size unknown, picked it up lightly used for $30.
I wish I could find a brown bag to blend better with the seat, 'cause I like the seat. The bike (also bought used) came with an expensive canvas Burly brand bag, which looked cool but was an impractical, floppy mess.
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motor vehicle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.