Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Coolant

4K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Kirkemon 
#1 ·
I've read a few threads on this and I'm still confused. Can I just use any OAT coolant that is free if silicates for my 2016 Street Twin? Like this one from Revzilla? Also, I can't find in the owners manual, Tritun Manual or Hayes Manual how much I actually need when draining and refilling. Thanks - didn't do too well in chemistry in high school.

#2 ·
The Haynes manual says the coolant capacity for the T100, Street Twin, Street Cup, & Scrambler is 1.52 liters.

And why wouldn't you just use the Triumph HD4X Hybrid OAT 50:50 premix coolant? I only paid $10.95 per liter at my local Triumph dealership.

Pete

#6 · (Edited)
That is exactly what I did a week ago. Drain rad and expansion tank, flush with tap water, fill with 50-50 Prestone and I was done. I was reluctant to post in fear of being accused of blasphemy for not using Triumph's outrageously priced product.

Before the lectures start, please note that this has been my protocol for the past 25 years with my ZX - 6 and SV 1000 without any ill effects.

The price of the Triumph product is four times that of the Prestone. It is guaranteed to be compatible with all manufacturers' engines and wont void your warranty.

It's your money and it's your bike. Don't believe the hype.

#7 ·
Assuming a 50/50 coolant change every three years, a single gallon of Prestone is about nine years worth, twelve if you count the three years you should get on the original factory fill. Waterless, permanent coolants are less efficient, and I seriously doubt that any liquid should be left in a bike for its entire service lifetime.

Flushing and changing the engine coolant in my T120 was no more difficult than changing the engine oil.

#8 ·
Thanks everyone. I emailed Prestone and asked this: "Triumph specifies their brand of Hybrid OAT antifreeze for my 2016 Street Twin. Is Prestone 50/50 compatible with this engine, and with the various seals that it comes into contact with?" and the answer from this was: "Yes, it is. Please let me know if you require anything further. Sincerely, Aaron Jones, Prestone Consumer Relations Representative. Phone: 203-731-8191

The description of Zerex G-05 also looks fine. So it will be one or the other depending on what's in stock at the local auto place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.