Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

How much have you lowered your Thruxton?

5K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  steventhechef 
#1 ·
Hi all! My new-to-me (slightly-modified) 2007 Thruxton is super tall for my short stature. I know there are already a ton of threads on how to lower a Thruxton, so I have a different question: What is the most you have lowered one?

My current shocks are KYB take-offs from a Kawasaki KRX. Together with my chunky back tire, I am on my tippy-toes when mounting the bike. Way too high for my comfort level. I was able to flat-foot my Bonneville, but this just feels precarious to me.

Someone is offering me 11.5" Progressive 412 shocks from his Harley, but they are a full 3 inches lower than my current shocks. I think a three-inch drop is too drastic, isn't it?

What is the most it should be lowered? Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
You do know every bike designed is built to those specs and tested at that, to radically alter that interferes with the handling. Normally a 1-1.5 inch lowering is not too drastic but 3 inches on a bike that is relatively low as is would not be good, .Have you considered the seat ? You may give up comfort but there is probably 1-2 inched there that would not affect the handling/cornering clearance suspension travel. These are great bikes from the factory.

#4 ·
Yes, I am well aware that Triumph tests its motorcycles. I'm also well aware that a ton of people here have altered their bikes in a myriad of ways, including lowering them. That's why I was asking. I read another thread where a member here lowered his wife's Thruxton enough for his 5'3" wife to flat-foot it. So it's a valid question to ask.

Shaving the seat is out, I'm afraid. I have a 300-each-way ride coming up and I'll need all the cushion I can get.

#5 ·
This suggestion is never appreciated by those looking to flat foot their bike for comfortable riding, but it just isn't required. Putting on 1" shorter shocks and raising the forks perhaps 1/4" will change the ride characteristics but is doable, and the rider will get accustomed to the change and adapt.

I'm short also, and with more experience on the bike most riders no longer need that flat foot comfort to feel confident. A pair of thick sole boots can help also.

Reactions: vitesse
#7 ·
I get it. I do. Honestly, I don't need to flat-foot it, especially considering that I have short legs and it would drop the bike too much. But the way it is with the KYB's, I'm teetering precariously. It's just too high up. It's not stock height with the KYB's. They stand tall and were take-offs from a sporty bike.

My Bonneville is stock height and feels perfectly comfortable at stop lights. I'm good with that seat height.

Just for giggles, I put 13" shocks from a 1979 Honda on there and took a pic. I am amazed at how much it dropped the bike. It feels very low now. Too low, actually.

#6 ·
Shortly after getting my Thruxton I raised the fork tubes one inch in the top clamp to mount the clip-ons on top of the tree for a short while. Noticed no problem except it did not improve the riding position much. The bike came with an LSL top tree so I mounted M bars and that's the way it is now. I have no doubt that you could lower the front, slide the tubes up, one inch and lower the rear with T100 or SE length shocks and be safe and happy.

#10 ·
Rweb you are correct with heights, when looking for upgrade shocks they seem to list 365mm for thruxton, scrambler and 340mm for Bonnie so a 25mm shorter (1") drop, I have dropped my scram from 365 to 340 shocks and raised forks through front clamps by around 10mm, the turn in is just as steady as it was before on my bike you don't have as much clearance now as its lower so touching down with pegs might happen more often, depends on riding style , I'm more than happy, the scram fixing location size was different to Bonnie so needed to transfer bushes rather than fitting new not sure of size on thruxton, you need to take a shock off and measure it if you think it's been raised

#12 ·
Leonie's (my wife) Thruxton is lowered with Bonnie suspenders at the rear and the forks raised 25mm through the triple tree. I have a MAS race seat on it as well which takes another 30-40mm off the seat height.

She is 5'1 and 3/4" and can easily flat foot it

Attachments

#17 ·
It is all such an individual thing. Do what you feel comfortable with in the end. Leonie still corners pretty fast but with the suspension changes combined with her weight she doesn't scrape the pegs or bottom out on big bumps.

On the other hand I hate riding her bike. Whilst it is the same Bike as mine they are totally different in attitude and altitude. Leonie's is very uncomfortable for me to ride even short distances on.

It bottoms out easily and wobbles all over the place in fast corners. It feels like a completely different bike. If i hadn't have ridden Leonie's when it was standard there is no way I would have purchased one myself.

http://nathanjamespage.blogspot.com/2013/12/chalk-cheese.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.