Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums - View Single Post - Did The TEC Camshaft on my 2018 Street Twin
View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
dakski
Site Supporter
Grand Prix 250
Lifetime Premium

Garage
WOW! 250 miles in with the new CAM.

George said keep it under high RPM's (5,000 or so was what I figured) for 200 miles. Then you can go crazy, but cruising, keep it under 5,000 RPM's for another 200 miles. After 500 total miles do an oil change.

It's a different bike. She pulls from 2,800-7,200 RPM's now quickly and smooth. The torque is definitely still there, and more of it, but it's above 5,000 RPM's that she's a completely different bike. No more running out of steam. She pulls hard all the way to redline.

When at about 3,300 RPM's, she's torque galore with instant response. Before, she would pull for a second and then start running out of air. Also, below 3,000 RPM's before, she was not happy, almost gasping. Now, she just pulls smoothly. I generally keep her about 3,000 RPM's +, but it was interesting to see her not get bogged down and just pull hard instead.

I had my buddy who works at the bike shop ride her. He was blown away. He says she pulls as hard or harder than 1200 now, especially higher up. He also says the reduced weight helps too. She's quick and light on her feet. He said he understands why they don't offer this in the 900's from the factory. No one would pay $3k more for a 1200 bonneville.

His main ride is a street triple, and the Street Twin, Cam or no Cam is not that. However, she's much quicker, much easier to ride, and if you drive a stock 900 after riding a modified cam one, it will feel like it's choking.

Right now she's making about 63HP and 60 F/T pounds at the wheel. That's up from 49HP at redline and about 53FT/lbs peak. However, the torque is much higher throughout the rev range and HP is dramatically higher after 5,000 RPM's.

If I do a cat-delete exhaust, like the rebel 2-1 that TEC sells, it will bump the power to 67HP at the wheel and 63 F/T pounds at the wheel. I may do that down the road, but for now, I am enjoying my "rocket."

Of note, my average fuel mileage went from 54.5mpg to 51.6 mpg. However, I might getting on her a little harder too. Either way, a small price to pay.

Below are a few pictures of the build.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Maggie w new cam 2.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	559.4 KB
ID:	643334   Click image for larger version

Name:	Maggie - Ready for Cam 2.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	675.8 KB
ID:	643336   Click image for larger version

Name:	Maggie - Camless 2.jpg