Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Bonneville or Thruxton as a first Bike?

9K views 30 replies 25 participants last post by  sfscrambler 
#1 ·
Hello :D

So this will be my first bike. I am 26 years old. Very careful about my saftey, but also want something to enjoy. I am not going to get used because where i live there they only drive harley and ninja, so very hard to find a used Bonnevillle. Is the Thruxton harder to control? or need more experience? I really fall inlove with the Thruxton but i am not sure, i dont want my first back to be something very hard to do. i want to actually enjoy the rides.

Need thoughts from a Thruxton owner. or anyone who tried both.

both 2015. Bonneville that the dealer got is special edition. with Tach. both got ABS

Cheers :)

#3 · (Edited)
My first and only bike is a Thruxton 865. This is plenty of "go" for a new rider, at least for me. I would go used but cast a wider net, I searched within 200mi range. Id look for a mostly unmolested stocker or a modded one that comes with stocker parts and an intelligent owner that can speak to the mods. I sat upon standards and cruisers and although my feet were squarely planted I felt that I was reaching out to the bars which didn't feel right. Thruxtons put you more forward over the tank, some might not like that, but as a 5'8" rider 30" in seam, that worked better for me. Hand numbness can happen if you are clenching the bars as it is best to keep loose and bend your arms rather than leaning on your wrists. Took me 3 months to figure that one out. Tuck position cuts the wind quite well with a flyscreen, rise above and you get blasted on your chest.

Thruxtons need some mods out of the box imo. The highest value one for me were:

-New tires with better tread pattern - The Metzlers track too much. Tires gave me most confidence
-Suspension - rears first, doing front forks now - again instant confidence builder
-Brakes - Sintered pads gave better stopping bite but you cant panic on them or bad things will happen
-Exhaust\Breather\Tune - Not necessary but welcomed on EFI version. Tune being the most valuable for low throttle and evenness.

Basically, you could stop there and have a fun setup for around-towning. I dont feel the bike is a good expressway option, but that can be debated.

Also the 865s do not have ABS, only the water-cooled 1200s I think, which might be too much bike.

Here it is today vs when I bought it:

Attachments

#4 ·
I have extended time on all 865s.
Thruxton is the better package but is more aggressive fitting overall. Benefits from the middle size front tire. T100 is biggest front tire and feels a bit more sluggish to handle. Mag wheel, which I still own is the best. Tubeless tire and small front tire makes it handle like a modern sportbike. Much easier for a first timer. Seat is lower as well. Would save some money getting one to put more money into aftermarket as well. Have aftermarket rearsets and clip on's on mine and still love it. The 865 is a great engine for reliability and power. Just enough power to get it all done, but not enough power to really get into some really silly choices..I guess. :) I will still own a T100 one day, just because of the classic looks and more cruisn' around feel. All the seats, exhaust and little trinkets pretty much fit all the modern 865s, so put whatever you like on them.
Basically the 865 is 100 bucks a HP if you want to improve performance. I would never have one without the airbox gut, bellmouth, o2 delete and aftermarket exhaust with a Triumph Twin Power tune. For 1000 bucks bumps HP up 10, and worth every penny.
Good luck in your search. Remember, nothing changed in the bikes from 09 to 2015, so there is no sense paying more for a "newer" one in that range, when you can save money and get the same bike earlier in the EFI years... granted the mileage is worth the price.

Reactions: rich2009
#16 ·
I have a T100 but I've also logged a bunch of miles on my wife's mag wheel Bonnevillle 865. The mag wheel bike is easier to ride and might be better for a beginner - the T100 steers slower and feels heavier. You also have to think about ergonomics, the mag wheel is a bit cramped for me. Just my 2 cents.

#5 ·
The T100 is really easy to ride. But before you start riding, make sure you take a Motorcycle Safety Course and learn how to ride. Then practice, practice, and practice some more. Especially if your as concerned with your safety as you said you are. Now speaking of safety. Make sure you buy and wear the best helmet you can afford. Then there is the jacket, some people like leather, others textile, for me, if it isn't Kevlar, I don't want it. A Kevlar jacket saved my hide a few years back. Next comes the pants, wear only ones that are fully lined with either Kevlar or something with very good anti-abrasive properties. Do your research. The last 2 things are boots and gloves. Gloves should have plenty of protection on the knuckles and palms. The boots should be high enough to protect your ankles.

After all that enjoy riding, its without a doubt one of the greatest thing you can do. I've been riding since 1968.

#7 ·
Endorsing most the the comments above, I was going back and forth between the two but totally love the classic cafe racer style, even though you are giving up some comfort. I had to make some adjustments to the bars by flipping and rotating them, and now all is well, although most of my riding is shorter runs (less than two hours), plus commuting to work in the warmer dry weather.

So ultimately, depending on your use and your size, one may be better than the other. The beauty about these bikes is you can do so much modding to make them suit you and your needs, so you won't go wrong with either. At about 6 ft and 180 lbs I went for the Thruxton and no regrets. Also be aware nether has ABS, so you are being steered wrong! And it's impractical to try to add it....believe me I've looked into it!

As has been suggested, be sure to take a drivers education class and take it easy until you get some experience on how the bike handles and what to expect in the many conditions you will encounter. Drive defensively, and assume every vehicle, moving or stationary, is going to do something silly, or has simply not seen you. Not wanting to discourage you, but it's the only way you'll survive without an incident.

Best of luck, ride safe, Thruxty.

#9 ·
You dont mention where you live which would be helpful, fill out your profile when you have a minute.
Some on here suggested getting your motorcycle endorsement, I've never heard of that and I've been ridding for longer then you've been alive. You say that the only thing around you is Harley, they usually have a training class, I dont think you have to have a HD to take it, it'd do you a lot of good to take one of these courses.
There is a lot of advice for modding your bike, dont worry about that stuff until you've had it for a while and spent some time ridding it. How would you know what you want to do to it until you've spent some time on it. Just looking at a bike and thinking about changes may lead to a lot wasted money.
I drove 1000 miles to pick my current bike up because it was far cheaper then anything I could get locally, probably cost me 2-300 dollars to go get it but the savings was somewhere close to $1200 plus for something similar in my area.

#12 ·
You dont mention where you live which would be helpful, fill out your profile when you have a minute.
Some on here suggested getting your motorcycle endorsement, I've never heard of that and I've been ridding for longer then you've been alive. You say that the only thing around you is Harley, they usually have a training class, I dont think you have to have a HD to take it, it'd do you a lot of good to take one of these courses.
There is a lot of advice for modding your bike, dont worry about that stuff until you've had it for a while and spent some time ridding it. How would you know what you want to do to it until you've spent some time on it. Just looking at a bike and thinking about changes may lead to a lot wasted money.
I drove 1000 miles to pick my current bike up because it was far cheaper then anything I could get locally, probably cost me 2-300 dollars to go get it but the savings was somewhere close to $1200 plus for something similar in my area.[/QUOOTE

In Ohio you must have an M on drivers license to operate a motorcycle. If you don't you can be cited and they will tow your bike. I suggest you check with your state DMV to see if an endorsement is needed.

#13 ·
In Ohio you must have an M on drivers license to operate a motorcycle. If you don't you can be cited and they will tow your bike. I suggest you check with your state DMV to see if an endorsement is needed.[/QUOTE]

Nothing to check, each state is different, when I started ridding motorcycles(way back in the early 70's) you didnt even need a special license.

In Iowa when you turn 14 and get your learners permit to start driving a car you can also take the motorcycle driving test and as long as you are ridding along side a licensed motorcyclist you're good. When you turn 16 you can get your permanent motorcycle licence, of course you have to drive for the DMV but that part is pretty easy, in this state if you dont want to take the driving test(at the DMV) you can opt out by taking an accredited driving class, I think the HD class qualifies, I know they offer something at the local community college as well.

#14 ·
I pretty much agree with all that's been said so far. Both are great bikes. Bear in mind that the 865s are powerful. It could suffice for your first bike but like you've heard, take a riding course first. These bikes can get you in over your head in a matter of seconds. Caveat emptor out of the way, they are wonderful motorcycles that turn heads and quickly entice total strangers into sharing their Triumph experiences of the past. I've never seen a bike do this the way Bonnevilles (and Thruxtons) do. People will just walk up to you and start BS'ing about the '65 Bonnie they used to own, or their uncles Trident etc. etc. Personally I love that aspect. Good luck. And good choice! HDs are a dime a dozen... (and I happen to love HDs )

#17 ·
Definitely take the motorcycle safety course. That will get you more comfortable. I would buy the bike you like the looks of the best. I bought a 250 for my daughter to ride and she was ready for a bigger engine after just a few rides. You should be fine with either bike in no time, just be careful. Good luck and have fun!

#18 ·
Welcome to the forum............Not wishing to put a damper on things I would suggest that something smaller would suit you better. I know everybody goes for big is better but, there is a place for small displacement bikes in this world..........my daily ride is a 2015 scrambler if it had been my first bike I doubt I'd still be here. Take it easy and progress into one of these. I think you'll be glad you did. 26 you've got a long time ahead of you if you're lucky. Just my opinion obviously.
Cheers

#19 ·
Good points NMTR6...

Another two cents.....

The T100/Thrux/Scramblers have a lot of power. Maybe not compared to a sport bike, but way more than a smaller displacement bike like a Yamaha SR400 or a Honda Rebel 250. You could pick up a used bike like that and ride it for 6 months then sell it for what you have in it. Then you'll be ready to pick up a bigger bike with more torque.

#20 ·
If you decide you would prefer a smaller motorcycle I have a 2009 Yamaha V-Star 250 for you. They do use a smaller bike for the safety courses around here. Now that my daughter is licensed and we have been out riding together I feel the smaller (250 mind you) engine is almost more of a danger on street riding. She has to shift constantly just to get up to speed and get out of the way of traffic. Let alone the enjoyment factor of a little more torque/speed. I'm not saying get a 1200, maybe a Rebel 500 instead of a Rebel 250.

My honest opinion for anyone starting out in motorcycle riding is to first learn on a dirt bike. Get protective gear and a small displacement light weight motorcycle and have a ball. I've had more fun riding dirt bikes than I'll ever have on the road. I know dirt riding isn't always accessible to everyone as it isn't for me now either.
Just my two cents

#21 ·
For someone new to motorcycling, I'd recommend: 1) take the MSF course; 2) get the right clothing; 3) start w/ a used smaller bike that can also go on dirt, and get experience on both road and dirt; 3) move up to the Bonneville or Thruxton when you're ready. The MSF course will teach you lots of techniques that will become instinct once you learn them, practice them, and put them into "muscle memory". There's a lot to learn, and a smaller bike is a lot more forgiving. You will make mistakes, I promise, and you don't want them to send you to the hospital or the grave. A big bike is a blast, for sure, but if you're not paying attention or simply unaware, in an instant you can find yourself beyond your skill limits where only luck and instincts will save you. Enjoy!!

#22 ·
I agree with jimsstone. Many of us started riding on dirt when we were to young to be licensed for the road. It was good grounding for road riding. My dad also would not let me get my road licence until I had been driving for 12 months in a car. I was not happy about it at the time, but can see the sense in it now.
At 26 you most likely have road experience in a car, so follow all the good advice above.

Cheers.

#23 ·
A year ago I was in the same boat. First thing I did was take the class. It’s definitely already saved me several times over. Anyway... A friend was nice enough to let me learn on his old Suzuki savage but I felt kind of unsafe on it. I wanted something with more modern things like ABS, an easy clutch, a a little more reliability so I ignored all the people who told me to buy a used bike. I opted for a Street Twin and I still fkn love the thing. It’s got all the power you’ll need but it’s easier to handle than the Bonneville and the Thruxton, the seat is a tad lower, and the tuning on the bike is a little more forgiving. You’re gonna do what you want, and you should, but, dude, I would not sleep on any of the street twin line. If you wanna go full cafe maybe go Street Cup? I can almost promise you’ll live the ride of the street twin line and it’s something you can grown with. Check em out. Ride safe. Keep us updated ?

#25 ·
I owned a 865cc Bonnie and now have a 1200cc Thruxton. Of the previous generation 865cc Thruxton or Bonnie, either would make a decent 1st bike. A current generation 1200cc Thruxton might be a little too much for a new rider. Before I bought my 1200cc Thruxton I set a personal rule that I must successfully complete my 1st track day (on a 250cc sportbike). If not, I wouldn't let myself buy the faster bike. I still have the Thruxton and have added a 675cc Daytona, which is phenomenally fast. My advice would be to get a used 865cc Bonnie or Thruxton, ride it for a year, then get the faster bike.

#26 ·
I had a 50cc Yamaha when I was 13. I got a 160cc Honda when I was 16. I got a 360 Yamaha when I was 18. I have had a motorcycle endorsement on my license continuously since I was 16. I have owned several trials bikes. Had a Triumph chopper in the 70's. Rode a Sportster in the 70's. Had an 1150 BMW. Own my second Harley today and also have a 2010 SE (which I friggin love).

So you will understand when I recommend you ride something smaller and lighter for a year first. Get a Japanese 250 or slightly larger bike and learn to ride. Consider it an investment in your future. Riding is a blast.

Many people successfully jump into a larger fairly fast bike right from the start at an early age. I grew up with a slow progression to bigger and faster.

The first six months you ride anything on the street will be the most dangerous months of your life.

The advice for an older new rider to take a motorcycle safety course is good advice. Some of it will bore you, but a lot of it you will be able to employ to make that first six months survivable.

Once you get the hang of being invisible to all other traffic and totally responsible for your enjoyment and safety you will find you also become a much better automobile driver.

After a year, graduate yourself to a larger bike. Just my .02 cents and worth exactly what you payed for it:wink2:

#27 ·
I agree. I started on an 865 Thruxton and now have the 1200.

Although the 1200 is plenty easy to ride, even feels lighter than the old thruxton, the torque is something that might catch you off guard.

Better to do your first F* ups on a bike that is not that powerful, you'll have a better chance of escaping them with just a scare and a lesson learnt. And you will have some situations that will get your heart racing, especially when you think your skills are improving and start getting less cautious. It is plenty easy to accelerate yourself out of a corner with all that torque and it will happen really quickly with the 1200. Accelerating full throttle with a 1200, things happen really quickly. It develops similar torque as the fastest bikes out there.

So start with less horses, mess up some things (you will, it is part of the learning process) and be glad it was a scare and not an accident. You'll have more fun when you get the feeling you fully control your bike in any situation, and that happens quicker on a less powerful bike.

#28 ·
Buy the bike you like or have your heart set on if its the Thruxton then all good as I have then both new and old, best way to learn to ride as well getting to know the bike you want a s do both at the same time, do a riders course on your own bike, being 26 years old you should be a bit wiser than some 17 year old, buy the right riding gear for you, ride with safety on you mind at all times and keep your eyes open and be aware of what is happening around you, ride with mates who are experience and ask questions, listen and learn, even if you don't have any riding mates bikers are a friendly mob and are always willing to help out, well I am anyway, be willing to learn about your bike and to do your own basic maintenance, its all about learning and take it easy and don't do silly things, think ahead at all times and look out whats happening around you.
I have been doing this for over 45 years now and I am still learning, take it easy and enjoy your new life on two wheels, its one of the best things I ever done and it changed my whole life, both dirt bikes and British bikes, they are my life and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Ashley

#29 ·
I agree with Ashley, get the bike you want and learn to ride it. I started out on 80cc riding the trails with my friends and worked my way up in size too. But back then a 500cc bike was a big bike. If you see getting some enjoyment out of a 250 on dirt roads if you can find them, you won't regret that either. Just coming onto this forum and asking shows you have the maturity not to push your luck until you have the confidence to do so. Keep us posted on what you decide.

GG

#30 ·
Buy the Bonnie or Thruxton that you want, but buy another bike to learn on. There's a ton of starter bikes (like a 250 or 400) on CL and FB which you can get for about $1500 bucks--you'll get that back when you sell it in about a year or so.

And if you haven't already, as everyone else says, take the MSF course. It's worth the time and every dollar--even if you've been riding for a while.

The last thing you want to do is buy your dream bike as your first bike then drop it in the garage or worse. Do that learning on something more consumable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.