Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums - View Single Post - Safety Circuit Simplification
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
H3CT1C
Site Supporter
Formula Extreme
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Safety Circuit Simplification

Since my m-unit re-wire a few years ago I've been running no safety circuit - I earthed the clutch/sidestand switch circuit pin 9 & neutral switch pin 10 on the igniter - so the bike WILL start in gear on the sidestand - it's not been a problem yet, but one day ... dot ... dot ... dot ...

I'd be entirely satisfied to reduce the safety circuit to "only starts in neutral". Well, I'd have to be - I have no clutch or sidestand switch...

Wouldn't the simplest way to achieve this be to earth the starter solenoid through the neutral switch? Couldn't I just splice the -12V into the wire from neutral switch to idiot light? i.e. circuit completes to earth when in neutral allowing the solenoid to operate, but in gear the solenoid can't earth so the bike won't start?

1) Is the neutral switch (and wiring) man enough for the job

2) Will I need a diode in there somewhere?

Tim

~'05 Thruxton~Sport Evolution 1100cc~FCR 39mm~813 cams~shim-under-bucket~+1.5mm valves~45mm headers~Ignitech CDI~m-Lock~m-Unit~Acewell CA85~F3 Frankenfork~Hagon Nitros~Pretech caliper~520 chain~wide 17" rims~sticky rubber~

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome