Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

TB Sport vs new Speed twin......why would you?

9K views 53 replies 21 participants last post by  sharmamanik061 
#1 ·
Looking at the new modern heritage line, it seems that triumph is coming full circle in making an 80+ hp standard with comfy bars and good brakes, just like 20 years ago when the TB Sport came out. But ironically, they're using twin shock suspension, with minimal adjustablity.

Yet a 20 year old TBS has the same 80+ HP, similar ergo's, DUAL disk front brakes, and what some would say is a superior suspension......and that's stock.

It just irk's me that Triumph wouldn't make a Standard TRIPLE. A 1050 triple in a standard frame would be the bees knees in my world. For now, I'll keep finding reasons to not sell my TB sport.

#2 ·
Looking at the new modern heritage line, it seems that triumph is coming full circle in making an 80+ hp standard with comfy bars and good brakes, just like 20 years ago when the TB Sport came out. But ironically, they're using twin shock suspension, with minimal adjustablity.

Yet a 20 year old TBS has the same 80+ HP, similar ergo's, DUAL disk front brakes, and what some would say is a superior suspension......and that's stock.

It just irk's me that Triumph wouldn't make a Standard TRIPLE. A 1050 triple in a standard frame would be the bees knees in my world. For now, I'll keep finding reasons to not sell my TB sport.

Love the speed twin but my thoughts exactly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 · (Edited)
Easy: answer is TBS because of the tripple sound ? and because it is real, heavy motorcycle, not drive by wire new technology toy. (I know that some people will say that it’s less problematic but I like to get my hands dirty after having couple Honda’s and Yamaha’s.)
And I always wanted to have one ?
Oldie but Goldie ?
I know I’m getting old ;D

#9 ·
Easy: answer is TBS because of the triple sound and because it is real, heavy motorcycle, not drive by wire new technology toy. (I know that some people will say that it’s less problematic but I like to get my hands dirty after having couple Honda’s and Yamaha’s.)
And I always wanted to have one.
Oldie but Goldie.
I know I’m getting old ;D
Yes, the TBS is 535lbs dry , the Speed Twin , 432lbs. TBS 82 HP @ 8500rpm, Speed Twin 96 @ 6500rpm. So, I'm starting to see why someone would consider it. TBS 885cc, Twin 1200cc.

Unfortunately, the upgrade would likely be around 8 grand if I sold my TBS for 4K. I'd need another 8 to cover the Twin.

For some, I can see the appeal.

Then there's the look.....which do you see as prettier? or so pretty that it justifies spending the $$$$.

And I get it, Some folks have the luxury of owning latest and possibly better, but I've always felt I'd rather have the nicest Car, Bike, Guitar, made 10+ years ago for 20%-40% of the original cost.than spend full boat for something that will lose thousands of dollars in value the minute I plunk down the $$$.

Attachments

#5 ·
Original TBS used Triumph's then current big triple engine shared with the Tiger. IMO a new TBS in the mold of the original would be a 1200 triple, classic styling cues & standard bike versatility.
I do give Triumph mega-props on the new speed twin, looks to be a fantastic motorcycle.

#6 ·
TBS vs. Standard is a matter of taste. I just like the looks of the standard T-Bird, and at my age, I'm just not hooting around the corners enough to justify the second disk. Upgrading the suspension on the standard can be cheep and easy.

Regardless, the only reason I've put even a moments thought into a Bonneville is the age of my T-Bird. The concern hasn't been enough for me to do anything about it, but it is a thought. Going on a 2 or 3 thousand mile tour on a 17 year old bike gives one pause. I had to truck her 600+ miles from Norther California to Seattle Washington a few years back when the alternator decided to go.

Granted, I rode from Seattle to Utah and back in a roundabout way on my 1973 Norton. I logged just over 3000 miles. In hindsight, it wasn't too smart, but the Norton was only 34, and I was a young 53 at the time.

#7 · (Edited)
Granted, I rode from Seattle to Utah and back in a roundabout way on my 1973 Norton. I logged just over 3000 miles. In hindsight, it wasn't too smart, but the Norton was only 34, and I was a young 53 at the time.
There was a guy (John Young) who did the Iron Butt Rally (48 states, ~11,000 miles in 11 days) back in 2011 on a 1968 T150.

#10 · (Edited)
ABS and EFI! My current bike has carbs and they are a pain to deal with. That ~50lbs less weight doesn’t hurt either. It would be cool if they made a classic triple but I love the sound of the 270 parallel twin. And it’s subtle but I personally prefer the proportions on the water cooled twins to any of the non original triumphs. But I in no way wish to imply that this is negative against the TB sport. I’d totally look into that if I was trying for a used bike. :)

#15 ·
I've been pondering your post jcniven. Not sure what you're referring to, a fashion accessory?....If you mean the Speed Triple, it looks like a lovely bike to me. It's just a lot of money to spend for a naked, classic - with all it's rider aids and a distinct lack of practicality. But then, my TBS suffers all of the latter with none of the former. And gives me a happy heart having it.

I love to take extending moto camping trips and feel fortunate to have found a lightly used '15s 800XRx with hard cases, top box, Madstad screen etc. with 5k miles on it that I could afford. After a 650 Vstrom, Sprint ST, Breva750 and a CB500X, it's the perfect tool for my needs.
The TBS on the other hand is a beautiful piece of machinery/sculpture that evokes dreams of my youth - and still performs well on the road (though I've yet to really prove that with the winter and all..)

I would say for the amount of seat time I'm likely to have on my TBS, the $3k I spent on it is well worth it. Money aside, I prefer its looks to the Speed Triple, too. I'd venture to guess you feel the same about your Thunderbird. But, what is the "fashion accessory"? Or is that the Scottish sense of humor coming through? :wink2:

#18 ·
TBS vs Speed Twin

That Speed Twin is a beautiful bike, but have been riding the triples since the 73 Trident and just love the way they feel and the sound is awesome. Have the extra tank, side covers and fenders to change over whenever. Have around 30K on the odometer and has never left me stranded. Have the off road mufflers, gaiters, bar end mirrors, k&n air filter, full windshield, sport windscreen, tankbag, tailbag (for the long trips) and centerstand.
When they ever have the demo rides, will take that Speed Twin out for a test ride

Attachments

#19 · (Edited)
I owned one [TBS] for a few years, always thought that they were underpowered tbh. I ended up selling it and going back to my T150V with the 1000cc kit [and other stuff]...which is faster even though its 44 years old and from a bygone era. The TBS was more comfortable on longer trips, but only marginal, handling was about the same IMO. The Trident wasn't as nimble but had a much lower centre of gravity and felt much more stable. The TBS was sharpish in handling and probably a bit better in tight stuff. But was top heavy and needed some muscle to ride it hard in corners.
The Trident was way better for saddlebags, pillion and a load, the TBS was abysmal in that area, a pillion and/or load affected the handling quite a bit.
They are a nice looking bike in a classic Japanesish sort of way and I can understand why others love them, just try as I might, I just couldn't work up the same enthusiasm for the TBS.

One word of warning to all owners....remove the plastic tool bag from under the seat and wrap it in a rag or store it somewhere else. I had one of the spanners fall out and then onto the swingarm, this then got sucked up by the chain and wrapped itself around the front sprocket sandwiched between the sprocket and the chain. This bent the rear axle, front sprocket shaft, shattered the chain adjuster and the spacer, and other stuff. Also gave me a brown moment!!!

I have a spanner round here somewhere that is a perfect C shape as a memento.

The new 1200 twins look like a good thing and I would have bought one maybe, but I am on a project [already have the 1100 kit, cams, D+D exhaust, Keihen FCR's, head flowed with bigger valves, Carrillo rods etc etc all sitting in my shed] and building up an 1100cc version of the 865 Bonnie, hopefully finish that this year. Plus I prefer the idea of a 360.

#23 ·
Has anybody that owns a TBS rode the new Speed Twin? Can you provide any comments? I’ve sat on one at the dealer, and It was tiny compared to the TBS, the frame is much more compact and tank is much lower, and felt much smaller than my TBS.( I felt like Mary Poppins on it like i do on my friends lowered Bonnie) Here in NJ they do not permit test rides on new bikes. I too, will have to search for a demo day.

Thoughts from anybody thats experienced it would be great.....

#24 ·
Has anybody that owns a TBS rode the new Speed Twin? Can you provide any comments? I’ve sat on one at the dealer, and It was tiny compared to the TBS, the frame is much more compact and tank is much lower, and felt much smaller than my TBS.( I felt like Mary Poppins on it like i do on my friends lowered Bonnie) Here in NJ they do not permit test rides on new bikes. I too, will have to search for a demo day.

Thoughts from anybody thats experienced it would be great.....

Triumph of Westchester will let you do a test ride. Just sound like you’re in the market to buy a Triumph this week and they will let you ride it. I need to plan a test ride on the ST soon as well

#25 ·
I just ran my new Speed Twin home from the dealers yesterday. I was going to sell my TBS but I knew the minute it went out the drive I would regret it.
The Speed Twin is different in many ways but not unlike the TBS in some. Obviously the newer bike has better suspension,better brakes,some tech that might help you stay upright . The worst thing on the Speed Twin is prob the fueling at low speed which requires delicate inputs or slipping the clutch. On the other hand stick it in sport mode find some good roads and it handles well and pulls like a train. Riding position is similar to my TBS as I’ve lower risers on the bars making them similar. Twin is smaller, lighter,faster,and think it’s as close as you’re going to get as a replacement for the TBS. Plenty other options in the Triumph range but I didn’t want any less power than the TBS.
I rode the Twin about 200 miles yesterday and found the seat pretty firm but maybe it’ll soften up and I don’t have much cushioning on my derrière. Both bikes you get plenty wind blast but I might try a small screen which does help on TBS.
They are both great bikes and only time will tell whether the Speed Twin is as good as my TBS has been.

Sean.

#28 ·
B-, How do you think your speed twin compares to the speed TRIPLE? Much slower? I understand, sports bike vs standard. My focus is on engine performance. Does the speed twin provide arm pulling power off the line? Or is it just a little quicker Bonnie?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.