Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

RX vs s1000r

4K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Avonex 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi,
I am struggling making a decision between getting the 675 RX or the S1000R right now.
I got good deals for both here. both low milage, top specs and 1-2 years warranty left.
price difference about 3500$.
I used to ride a z1000 but it is been a while since I owned a bike and I fear that maybe the power of the s1000R might even get in the way for someone reentering the world of riding specifically and for street use in general.
I am sure it is the overall better bike with probably better value for money and I am sure I will grow into its powerband.

But somehow I just dig the triple :)
Just felt really good on the short stint I could try it and I think it has just enough power.

My Pros and cons would be...
Triple:
+ more light and nimble
+ bit cheaper maintance I reckon
+ more character
+ better looking
- no real power rush
- unusable for pillion riding maybe?(seems cramped)

S1000R
+ power
+ electronics for comfort and safety: DDC, cruise control, Riding modes, traction control
+ overall more recent development
- I heard the s1000r gets a burning hot frame (I am currently in tropical Thailand)
- bad turn radius
- not a real looker for me
- not the best service here (I heard)

I kinda think I wanna get the STR first and then maybe sell it later if I really need that 1000cc.
Actually even feel more attracted to the new CB1000R, but it won't be launched here before August/September.

I just think that a buying and selling and buying means losing money and the beamer is a really good deal now. Well that's how it is I guess.
In the end the triple should not be a bike that anyone ever regretted buying and riding...

But maybe someone wants share some more thoughts :)

cheers

See less See more
#2 ·
The closest I can come to helping answer some of those questions comes from my experience on a 2013 speed triple and a 2014 s1kr. The BMW gets hot! I rode it on a 45f day and the oil temp was over 200 within minutes. Consider my 2013 S3 and the 675 have nearly identical power to weight and tho I didn't have to shift the s3 often it was not any faster than the st3 the bmw is fast, geared short with an engine that'll rev to 12k. Some say the electronic suspension on the s1kr is unpredictable and for that reason it takes last place in all the comparo's. For me it came down to the s1kr and the SDR and because i love the unrefined feel of the twin and the legroom I bought the KTM. I will say after owning 3 triumphs in 6 years (not counting the several 650's I had in a buddy's shed the whole time I raised my kids)WYSIWYG! There's very little aftremarket for troumph and even less performance parts to chase after so don't buy a 675 thinking you'll just put hot cams in it because it's as hot as it's gonna get as is. The BMW can get decent range but if I was you I would try and score a leftover 765 and get the best of both worlds.

#3 ·
I loved my 675R, but after buying S1000RR, it just sat unused and I sold it. Handling, suspension, breaks, electronics, power... the BMW is miles ahead. The gap between 765RS and S1000R will be narrower, I guess. The BMW gets hot, that is true. And the Triumph is lighter. As with anything, it is a subjective choice. Ride both and pick the one that you connect with. Our ask your wife which color she likes better.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Having lived in Thailand for 6 years, I'm trying to figure out where (outside of the new track a Buriram) you could use even 25% of the abilities of either of these bikes. I rode an NC30 while I was there, and that bike had plenty for the roads in and around Bangkok.

My only real advice would be to get the bike that speaks to you more; the one that makes you want to ride it.

#7 ·
Yeh the roads up north provide for some crazy riding in some parts but generally speaking using more than 100hp is not really happening anywhere in the world.
But the way the bike deliver that power can make difference.

But I remember riding a er6n here for few days and it was 95% enough in terms of power.
Does not provide any thrills from the engine but that is what gets boring first anyways.

Now the s1000r is dismissed and I am thinking whether to get a 765 RS deal.
Bike is just 1600$ more expensive than the RX with similar mileage.

Actually a no-brainer but tbh the old one kinda speaks to me more.
It looks more raw and vulgar and old-schoolish.
But I think gotta go with the brain here...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.