Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums - View Single Post - Fuel pump not priming
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
dZwj7qXp
Production 125

Fuel pump not priming

I hope this isn't a stupid question, but...

I hopped on my 2010 ABS Thunderbird this morning, put in the key, turned it and wasn't greeted by the familiar whine of the fuel pump priming the engine.

In addition the instrument display looked odd. The ABS and check oil lights came on, as they do when the key is turned but the engine isn't running. However the display toggled itself to the gas remaining screen, but instead of showing 3/4 of tank as I would expect, it shows kind of blankish. There are a bunch of little horizontal bars across the bottom.

The odomoeter, trips and clock show fine when I toggle to them.

I checked all the fuses, verified the kill switch was in the "Run" position, lifted the sidestand into the running position, shifted into neutral, (although the green neutral indicator light did not come on). Still wouldn't prime.

The headlight shines brightly, and the alarm arming with its usual volume when I remove the key lead me to believe it isn't the battery, and the Triumph Optimate indicated that the battery was fine as of 2 days ago.

I ride the bike daily and yesterday it was fine.

I ordered the service manual a couple of weeks ago, but it hasn't shown up yet. Any idea where the problem might lie? I'm kind of leaning towards a relay being bad or loose, but without the service manual I'm having to guess which one(s) it might be.

I had to bug a buddy to get to work, so I didn't have time to put a VOM on anything to verify any voltages.

Thanks in advance for your time!

Rich

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome