Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums - View Single Post - What gear are you in?
View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 03:26 PM
GreenTea
Site Supporter
SuperStock
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgarvis View Post
I hadn't rode a bike in 20 years when I bought my storm, and in like 30 mins it felt natural. It's a great bike that fits all levels of bike riding experience IMO.

Don't let the size and weight scare you, she is pretty nimble and handles very well.

Just my 2-cents
Have not had a bike since 1975, bought an America three years ago, hardly rode it, was on 2,500 miles when I bought it traded it in after 2 years just over 3,000 miles.

Dropped in local Triumph dealer and borrowed a Thunderbird 1600, did about 5 miles, went back to dealer and traded in the America.

The Thunderbird does feel heavier, yet seemed a lot easier to ride than the America.

Around town I guess I use 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear.

Country roads. I find I'm in 4th and 5th, use engine braking approaching the corners and accelerate out, it pulls well.

I fitted gear indicator to remind me what gear I am in, which for me I find useful.

Now done about 1200 miles, live in the town and have to filter through the traffic to get out past the ring road into the country, it feels a bit heavy in town, but the balance seems better than the America.

The America felt odd, but the Thunderbird feels like its on rails.

Edited for typo.

Last edited by GreenTea; 07-03-2011 at 03:50 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome