Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums - View Single Post - Well, I finally got tired of the stock plate bracket
View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
SimonSaysDie
Grand Prix 500

Pics added

Here are the pics you asked for.

Here is what I cut off. I cut the stock bracket off right where it starts to angle out just below the reflector.
Name:  IMAG0038_new.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  60.7 KB

This is the backing plate in place. You can see the weatherproof spade connectors I used for the connections to the lighted frame sticking out of the hole. I drilled a 1/2" hole in the plate for the wires to come through and mounted it with 3 bolts. I didn't drill the 3 bolt holes on the bike. One hole is there from the bolt that held the stock light and the other 2 are the holes from where the reflector was mounted. They just happened to line up good for this application.
Name:  IMAG0028_New.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  84.8 KB

This shows the wires under the fender. The old wires are just long enough to reach the stock light, so after cutting the light off, I soldered a couple of inches of wire back on to stick through the hole.
Name:  IMAG0037_New.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  83.4 KB

You will also need to put a small notch in your license plate in the upper right corner for the wires on the lighted frame to go through. It's covered when the frame is in place.
Name:  IMAG0031_New.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  64.2 KB

You can run the wires however you wish, but I placed four 1/4" spacers (one on each license plate bolt) between the lighted frame and backing plate so the wires could sit in between the license plate and the backing plate. You don't notice it when it's assembled.

Good luck with your mod, I think you'll be happier with the looks.

Better living through chemistry.

Last edited by SimonSaysDie; 04-13-2011 at 10:30 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome