Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums - View Single Post - Dag nab starting problems
View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 06:35 PM
dazco
Commentator
Banned

A number of people have had various starting issues that were rectified with a change to the tors map, many of whom are NOT running tors, so who are. Mine had a hot starting issue. If the bike was warm it would not hold idle and just die unless i blipped the throttle a couple times. TORs tune fixed it 100%. You might at least have them load the TORs tune as a test and if that cures it you know it's a issue with the stock map. Someone recently mentioned a problem with a stock R3 map that had a fuel setting that was way off when the engine was at a certain temp. so there are triumph maps that are wacky i guess. I don't know if this is a issue with certain maps or if they get corrupted or what. All i know is many starting issues were cured by changing to the tors map on the Tbird, so that may be the place your dealer should look at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptavio View Post
So my poor Bird's in the shop because it doesn't start easy. Sometimes it turns over fine, sometimes it starts and dies unless I open the throttle for a moment, and once in a while it just cranks and won't turn over for a while.

It's in the shop, they're talking with Triumph, they know about the "let it run for twelve minutes" trick, and they want to run a leak test to try to figure this out, but it requires replacing the oil gasket and they don't have a new gasket in stock, neither does the other Triumph dealer in the stake.

So my month and a half old Bird with a mere eleven hundred miles on it won't start easy, the dealer nor Triumph can yet figure out why, and I have to wait until a new gasket comes in to hope to get it fixed (and that could be more than a week).

Has anyone else had a starting problem this annoying?

OK, it's not the STARTER itself, sorry -- my bad. It's something with the engine and/or timing.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome