Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums - View Single Post - Speedo sticking
Thread: Speedo sticking
View Single Post
post #37 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 10:31 AM
Wells
Powerbike

I have seen these exact same symptoms as well (simple sticking and acting as a new baseline 0).

I wanted to chime in a bit on my observations pertaining to the base 0 sticking... when this is happening, I have noticed that the needle is also a lot more jumpy when accelerating or decelerating. You don't get that nice smooth transition of speeds (as indicated by the speedo) that you normally get.

I haven't pulled my cowling off to look at the date on mine yet. When I get home tonight I may do that. I put another 150 miles on the bike yesterday, and it only stuck one time... and I hadn't even noticed when it happened because it was right at the end of one of the legs of my trip, and I was in traffic where I don't look at it.

One other thing I have tried before to reset it.... I have killed the engine at speed, completely turned the bike off at the key, then tried to restart it. This did nothing for the speedo... it stayed at the new base 0 or locked in at some random speed. It seems that it really wants the engine to not be running or the wheels to be turning in order to reset completely.

Past Bikes:
2010 Triumph Thunderbird
2006 Suzuki Boulevard S50

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome