Maximizing horsepower from a '76 T140 - Page 5 - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums
» Main Menu

Discussion Forums
 » Twins
 » Tiger
 » General
 » RAT

Features
 » Blogs

Motorcycle.com Links

Contribute
 » Photo

Motorcycle Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Vintage Technical Tips & Tricks Technical and maintenance tips and links. DO NOT POST YOUR QUESTIONS HERE!! Please post questions to the general forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2012, 04:53 AM   #41 (permalink)
Team Owner
Main Motorcycle: Rickman T120

Other Motorcycle: T160,TR6
If you're only using cams with the valve-lift of a standard T140 intake (0.380" net),you can reduce the port diameter 1/16" between the carb and the valve-guide,with no loss in flow.The port is already too big and the valve doesn't flow enough even at full lift.
You can also reduce the port size between the guide and the valve seat to about 1-1/8",with no loss in flow at full valve-lift.

On the other hand,if you were able to get 1/2" valve-lift,the standard port size between the carb and guide would be fine and still keep up with flow at the valve.Some relieving around the valve guide will increase flow a little.You could still reduce the port size between the guide and the seat to gain some intake velocity advantage.Intake velocity keeps filling the cylinder after the piston reaches BDC,and has other advantages.

Exhaust ports have always been too big.They say if you weld the floor of the port to form a "D" shape,it helps.

Last edited by Mr.Pete; 08-06-2012 at 05:06 AM. Reason: "Exhaust ports - - - - it helps."
Mr.Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2012, 06:52 PM   #42 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium
Site Supporter
Grand Prix 125
Main Motorcycle: t140d

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumph rules View Post
you have to get rid of anything that is a sharp edge -where the seat goes into the port , on the 750 head i've got here it has a sharp edge on the inner part of the port as it comes up to the seat ,make it like the outer side of the port.
iff you are going to rev it, the port can go slightly bigger
with bigger carbs ,i lost a bit down low but it came alive about 3000
Hi,,,Thanks for that....exactly what im trying to achieve >3-4000 rpm...will look into it..
boyzee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2012, 03:08 PM   #43 (permalink)
Supersport 600
Main Motorcycle: PRE UNIT

Other Motorcycle: gsxr adrenaline rush
yeah pete the valve pocket is too big for the port size, do you use port bog?
i'd like to get a head cast with raised inlet port and proper shape and sizes
triumph rules is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2012, 10:31 PM   #44 (permalink)
Team Owner
Main Motorcycle: Rickman T120

Other Motorcycle: T160,TR6
JB-Weld is the best filler I know of for an intake port.
Only welding will work on the exhaust.

The position of valve-springs stops you raising the standard port much.I've seen heads modified with intake ports facing out the side more,and using a steep downdraft angle.
Mr.Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2012, 05:40 AM   #45 (permalink)
Grand Prix 125
Main Motorcycle: 76 bonneville bobber

Good info in here guys thanks to all the contributors. I don't have a lot of need to drain every last bit of power out of the old t140 but this has been an interesting read.
loki1982 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 10:50 PM   #46 (permalink)
Formula Extreme
Main Motorcycle: 73 TR7V TIGER

Other Motorcycle: BMW R1100R
Extra Motorcycle: KAWASAKI KZ650 B1
One sort of performance mod I have done on other bikes is to the coils - and it only costs a few bucks. I don't know if Triumphs are wired the same as Japanese bikes and whether this is relevant, I haven't had mine long enough to get into it all of that yet, so please excuse me if I'm talking crap. On 70's Jap bikes they send the coil feed through the ignition switch and then the kill switch. Over time with corrosion and dirt plus some of the iffy wiring connections it's not long before you perhaps only have 9 volts at your coil. If you use a relay with a feed coming directly from your battery with an inline fuse and use the existing circuit to the coil to operate the relay you will have a solid 12v feed at the coils and you wil be amazed at the difference in starting and running performance. I did it to my KZ650 and it was amazing the difference it made.
redhawk4 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2013, 09:56 PM   #47 (permalink)
Moto Grand Prix
Main Motorcycle: 1977 Triumph Bonneville

Other Motorcycle: 1996 Ducati 900ss/cr
Extra Motorcycle: 2000 H-D Superglide
Red hawk, seems very interesting. I'm a big fan of strong spark, especially on a kick start bike. Sounds like it wouldn't be that expensive, either. This could also help folks with EI , as I've heard they require a strong feed to work correctly.
duc96cr is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2013, 12:41 PM   #48 (permalink)
Formula Extreme

That's an interesting idea. On a positive ground Brit bike with EI, I am thinking that it might work as:
Feed line from battery negative with a fuse to relay. Output line to white wire on ignition box. Wire from kill switch (original feed to white wire) to switch relay.
Everything will be alright in the end.
If its not alright, its not the end.
htown16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2013, 01:26 PM   #49 (permalink)
Team Owner
Main Motorcycle: T140 E

Other Motorcycle: 56 Plunger Tatty Cub
Extra Motorcycle: CZ winter bike
or just disassemble and clean the switch?

They're often full of 40 year old crud. Granted they will corrode again but often it's time that is the killer, rather than the design. They are a pig to assemble though
DAVE M is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013, 05:52 AM   #50 (permalink)
Formula Extreme
Main Motorcycle: 1979 T140D Special

Other Motorcycle: 1978 T140E
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVE M View Post
or just disassemble and clean the switch?

They're often full of 40 year old crud. Granted they will corrode again but often it's time that is the killer, rather than the design. They are a pig to assemble though
If you squirt a bit of ACF50 into the switch occasionally, they won't corrode. ACF=Anti Corrosion Forumula
Cybersausage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter your valid email address, that can receive an automated confirmation message. Otherwise, you won't be able to gain full access.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.