Started a thread last week (accidentally in Twins Talk), and after working through most suggestions offered there, I'm still having no luck.
Heres a link for background: http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-talk...it-myself.html
So, ignition on, head, tail & turn lights all working, horn ok, neutral & oil lights on per usual. Hit starter and all I get is a "ch-ch-ch-ch..."
Try start with clutch pulled in & stand up, "ch-ch-ch-ch... Checked, and NO SPARK
. It's like the starter is fine but the engine won't fire.
After some hasty (Procom ignitor/CDI) & sensible (multimeter, battery charger) purchases, I'm still having no luck. Per Sal Paradise's suggestion I checked the wiring & switches as I went along and things seem secure, but that's going to be double checked tomorrow. So far:
- charged & reading +/- 12.65V
- checked visually & with multimeter - OK
3. Ignition switch & relays
4. Sidestand switch
I was getting readings reverse of what Haynes said I should; was a little loose, tightened up & same.
5. Clutch switch
6. Neutral switch
- OK, light works, so there should be no issue(?) Will check tomorrow.
7. Oil pressure switch
- will check 2mrrw, ran out of light today, but mine is finicky and not a cause for concern in this case I think.
- have new Procom as well as Stock Gill, one's gotta work I figure.
9.. Ignition HT Coil/Spark Plug caps
- I think these may be the problem. Checked primary circuit resistance on HT and it's within spec, but secondary circuit resistance and spark plug caps return on OL (no continuity) reading. I'm guessing this is the issue, since all of the other electrical and ignitions systems I've checked seem to be fine.
That said, I wanted to solicit some advice before pouring more money into this or acquiescing and taking it to the dealer.
Long story short, I got it back from dealer for new chain & some other 12K service req's, worked beautifully for one day then wouldn't start the next. Fact that I gave my friend a ride home on the night before pointed to cracked ignitor/CDI since he was bouncing around a bit and it was really cold, but my gut is now telling me new HT coil, and new spark plug caps while I'm at it. I'm really wondering why that would have failed so suddenly.
ANy help much appreciated. Im a bike noob and mechanical layman. Thanks.