Needle shim? - Page 2 - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums
» Main Menu

Discussion Forums
 » Twins
 » Tiger
 » General
 » RAT

Features
 » Blogs

Motorcycle.com Links

Contribute
 » Photo

Motorcycle Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Twins Technical Talk Technical Talk for Hinckley Triumph Twins: Bonneville, T100, Speedmaster, America, Thruxton, and Scrambler.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 09:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium
Site Supporter
Pole Position
Main Motorcycle: 2001 Bonneville
 
Irishguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Posts: 3,223
Other Motorcycle: 1974 Honda CB360
Wow! That is a lot of difference! no wonder that I keep reading posts where one guy will say, "Hey, a 140 worked great for me!" and another guy will post, "I needed a 150."

There is no substitute for taking your bike to the dyno. Same as when I have built several turbo Miata's. You have to get a base line and then get the other data and work up from there.

I hope to be ordering some stuff next week.

Hey Everyone,

Please post links to websites where I can order, jets, needles and shims.

Thanks...
Irishguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-06-2012, 11:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
Formula Extreme
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: North Augusta SC
Posts: 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishguy View Post
Wow! That is a lot of difference! no wonder that I keep reading posts where one guy will say, "Hey, a 140 worked great for me!" and another guy will post, "I needed a 150."

There is no substitute for taking your bike to the dyno. Same as when I have built several turbo Miata's. You have to get a base line and then get the other data and work up from there.

I hope to be ordering some stuff next week.

Hey Everyone,

Please post links to websites where I can order, jets, needles and shims.

Thanks...
Mike at BellaCorse is a good source for the proper jets for CVK carbs

http://www.bellacorse.com/bce011-14.htm

15 bucks for a kit (42 pilots/145 mains & 4 shims) and you can get pairs of other sized mains (say 142's & 148's) for 6 buck per pair.... That's $27 for the pilots, shims and a good range of main jets. Add a set of 140's and 150's if you want... though the 142 - 148 set should cover you.

Tracking down needles is tougher... and Keihin has a butt ton of needles for their various carb models and you really need to know exactly which ones to order for the CVK's that Triumph uses. If you have a decent Triumph dealer near you, have them order you a set of "865" or NBZT needles... should be around 12 or 14 dollars for the pair, if I remember correctly...

The carb screw kit is a worthwhile upgrade... cheap too...

http://www.bellacorse.com/bce021.htm

Last edited by SCbonneville; 12-06-2012 at 11:27 PM.
SCbonneville is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 01:46 AM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
SuperBike
Main Motorcycle: '08 claret bonnie
 
Askari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: VIC, Australia
Posts: 1,582
Other Motorcycle: '69 Kawasaki Samuri
Well noted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishguy View Post
Wow! That is a lot of difference! no wonder that I keep reading posts where one guy will say, "Hey, a 140 worked great for me!" and another guy will post, "I needed a 150."

There is no substitute for taking your bike to the dyno. Same as when I have built several turbo Miata's. You have to get a base line and then get the other data and work up from there.

I hope to be ordering some stuff next week.

Hey Everyone,

Please post links to websites where I can order, jets, needles and shims.

Think Forchetto posted a very sage answer to this varying setups. People perception as to what is good. It would seem that the window for tuning is quite wide. Rich/lean they still run good, it is when you start going too lean/rich that things change.
As mikeniva regularly points out unless you use a dyno or at least an A/F meter you are only getting in a ball park. Whether that is good, bad or accepatable is really up to the individual.

Thanks...
This is probably not of any use but this is where i got my jets/ shims from. As postage was just in an envelope it was cheap. I told them the sizes of jets i wanted, no of shims there next day.
http://www.showandgo.com.au/
Askari is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 01:54 AM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
SuperBike
Main Motorcycle: '08 claret bonnie
 
Askari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: VIC, Australia
Posts: 1,582
Other Motorcycle: '69 Kawasaki Samuri
This might be of help.

Found this in my saved stuff. It is for a 32, looks pretty similar to a 36. Pics might help you to locate the jets etc.
http://myural.com/keihin_32cvk_disassembly.htm
Askari is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 08:32 AM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
Formula Extreme
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: North Augusta SC
Posts: 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askari View Post
This is probably not of any use but this is where i got my jets/ shims from. As postage was just in an envelope it was cheap. I told them the sizes of jets i wanted, no of shims there next day.
http://www.showandgo.com.au/

Yes, Askari, there are any number of places that carry jets for the CVK's... Keihin or "oem equivalent"... The problem that can arise is that there are various incarnations of Keihin CV carbs that use different but similarly appearing jets... ie: "Harley CVK's" use different jets and needles than the ones used on Triumph "CVK's"...

Since Mike carries only the jets for the CVK's on the Bonnies, it just eliminates the chances of ordering the wrong ones... That is why I recommended going that route.

PS, the break down/rebuild link you posted is a good one... gives a good view of what you're looking at when servicing the CVK... I do have one minor point of contention though... His "verbiage" about only two reasons to access the top/slides of the carb... diaphragm tear and submersion? What about needle changing and shimming?

Last edited by SCbonneville; 12-07-2012 at 08:36 AM.
SCbonneville is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 10:27 AM   #16 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium
Site Supporter
Pole Position
Main Motorcycle: 2001 Bonneville
 
Irishguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Posts: 3,223
Other Motorcycle: 1974 Honda CB360
I just wanted to follow up on this thread in case anyone else is searching for info like I have been lately:

I got into the carbs and it turns out that the previous owner or previous tuner had installed 152 main jets. It has the stock needles and 3 shims under each needle. I forgot to take a look at the pilot jets.

Anyway, before I did anything I got the bike warmed up and took it up a long, mild incline on a nearby highway, took it up to full throttle and then slightly backed off to about 7/8ths throttle. There was no improvement at 7/8ths so I'm assuming from that, that the mains are sized about right.

Next I pulled it back into my shop and removed 2 of the three shims and took it back out for a spin. There was marked improvement in power from about 1/4 to 3/4 throttle and in the mid-range.

Next I pulled it back into the shop and took out the last shim, but just about that time my buddy showed up with some moonshine that he made and I don't remember much after that... and I haven't had a chance to test it again.

My thoughts are that I will be even better. Here's to hoping.

Next up is to check the pilot jet. I'm 3 turns out, so my suspicion is that it is the stock 40.
Irishguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 02:34 PM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member
SuperSport
Main Motorcycle: 2008 T100
 
bluesforchallah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishguy View Post
I just wanted to follow up on this thread in case anyone else is searching for info like I have been lately:

I got into the carbs and it turns out that the previous owner or previous tuner had installed 152 main jets. It has the stock needles and 3 shims under each needle. I forgot to take a look at the pilot jets.

Anyway, before I did anything I got the bike warmed up and took it up a long, mild incline on a nearby highway, took it up to full throttle and then slightly backed off to about 7/8ths throttle. There was no improvement at 7/8ths so I'm assuming from that, that the mains are sized about right.

Next I pulled it back into my shop and removed 2 of the three shims and took it back out for a spin. There was marked improvement in power from about 1/4 to 3/4 throttle and in the mid-range.

Next I pulled it back into the shop and took out the last shim, but just about that time my buddy showed up with some moonshine that he made and I don't remember much after that... and I haven't had a chance to test it again.

My thoughts are that I will be even better. Here's to hoping.

Next up is to check the pilot jet. I'm 3 turns out, so my suspicion is that it is the stock 40.

I'm now running 150 mains w/o shims, thrux needles (I understand stock '08 T100s came with Thrux needles) and 45 pilot jets. I was running 42 pilots like a lot of others after opening up the air-box and putting open flow pipes on, but it was getting an almost predictable hiccup at stops like so many others have said they were getting. So thru recommendation of another friend of mine, I upped the pilots to 45s and put the air mixture screw at 1.5 turns out. The bike is running a lot stronger at idle, the idle no longer fluctuates and I can give the bike a quick turn of the throttle with the RPM being much quicker to recover and most of all…no longer hiccupping. I haven't had it dyno'd, but I can tell just by the seat of my pants, it's a much better improvement.

Let us know how things end up.
__________________
Chris
08 T100 with AI removed, K&N Pods, BC Predators, 142 mains/42 pilots, no shim, 1.25 turns out @ sea level
bluesforchallah is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter your valid email address, that can receive an automated confirmation message. Otherwise, you won't be able to gain full access.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
needle shim question Randy01 Club Cafe' 4 05-29-2010 11:09 AM
Carb Needle Shim Install BonneRider Twins Technical Talk 5 03-11-2009 02:32 PM
Carb needle shim/washer Rhinoe Hinckley Classic Triples 15 11-11-2006 01:38 PM
Anyone found a needle shim ex factory. amanger Twins Technical Talk 6 07-05-2006 09:32 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:29 PM.



Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum

Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0