Thumbs down for Rotella T6 - Page 6 - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums
» Main Menu

Discussion Forums
 » Twins
 » Tiger
 » General
 » RAT

Features
 » Blogs

Motorcycle.com Links

Contribute
 » Photo

Motorcycle Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Twins Technical Talk Technical Talk for Hinckley Triumph Twins: Bonneville, T100, Speedmaster, America, Thruxton, and Scrambler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 11:56 AM   #51 (permalink)
SOTP Vintage Series
Main Motorcycle: 03 T100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Fwiw, the Rotella oils have all passed JASO specs and some are actually certified. No reason to call them diesel oils - all oils are basically the same but for the additives put in them. There's nothing extra special about motorcycle additives to justify the price hikes for motorcycle-branded oil other than the fact that oil companies can get away with it.

One thing to remember in general, any multi-weight oil is basically a lighter weight oil "buffed" to make the heavier weight viscosity when hot. A 5w-40 may just be too thin a 40 weight while a 15W-40 is not. Either way, if I was going to put Rotella into a bike, I'd put the 15W-40 in.

One think I like about the "old" style oils though is that the formulations still focus on engine protection, and not a compromise between protection and mpg.
THAT IS TRUE.What will work in these bikes has more to do with whats not in the oil then whats in it.Car oil with friction aditives does not work good with our clutches (tends to make them slip.As far as the trans goes any oil would work ok there is nothing new to them dino oil would do a good job in the trans.The trans is not a high wear item on these bikes.I would say any shift troubles that happen with oil will be clutch related.The trans on these bikes works better after it is worn in good because they have ruff spots when new that have to wear in.
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 11:57 AM   #52 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium
Site Supporter
Nova
Main Motorcycle: '08 Triumph Bonneville

Other Motorcycle: '65 Ducati 350 Sebring
I'll hook all three of you up behind my 747! Now what?

"It's a great day for hockey" - "Badger" Bob Johnson

Read my blog. Read it! http://cundalini.blogspot.com/
leftarmlogan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 04:11 PM   #53 (permalink)
SOTP Vintage Series
Main Motorcycle: 03 T100

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftarmlogan View Post
Then I will have to nuc your 747 with my B52.Now what lol?
Old 11-16-2012, 08:54 PM   #54 (permalink)
SuperBike
Main Motorcycle: '07 Black

Not to start the whole thing over again, but I misspoke in my post way back on page one: I was using Rotella T 15w40 and the bike shifted poorly. Using Mobil 1/Castrol makes for a much happier Bonneville.

And for the record, no stock Tiger wants anything to do with Mikes Bonne. If you aint on a 1050 Sprint, just stay on the porch and watch the show.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:57 PM   #55 (permalink)
SuperBike

I forgot what the question was. Why not just get some good old Castrol 20W50 regular oil & keep it changed? I got away from the synthetic 20,000 miles ago. I ride a real bike & it needs real oil. Didn't notice a thing except the extra money. Now I can go buy a holster for Oklahomas new open carry law. Also heard OKC was losing it's Triumph Dealer. I'll be riding an orphan.

Last edited by 357Bob; 11-16-2012 at 09:59 PM.
357Bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 10:12 PM   #56 (permalink)
Grand Prix 500

I have to say I have used rotella T6 and was a believer then tried motul 7100 single ester, there is quite a difference as shifting is way smoother . Next try will be amsoil 20-50 as I already bought two one gallon containers
doger5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 10:13 PM   #57 (permalink)
SuperBike

Like I said.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:57 PM   #58 (permalink)
DrX
Powerbike
Main Motorcycle: 2008 bonneville black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askari View Post
Me i will stick with Triumph and Forchettos reccomendations.
Same here!!
DrX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 11:37 PM   #59 (permalink)
SuperBike
Main Motorcycle: '08 claret bonnie

Other Motorcycle: '69 Kawasaki Samuri
No worries!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftarmlogan View Post
Just land your plane in my back paddock, bit rough lots a trees and we are on. I ll supply barbie and first aid!
Askari is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 12:29 AM   #60 (permalink)
SuperBike
Main Motorcycle: '08 claret bonnie

Other Motorcycle: '69 Kawasaki Samuri
Jaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Fwiw, the Rotella oils have all passed JASO specs and some are actually certified. No reason to call them diesel oils - all oils are basically the same but for the additives put in them. There's nothing extra special about motorcycle additives to justify the price hikes for motorcycle-branded oil other than the fact that oil companies can get away with it.

One thing to remember in general, any multi-weight oil is basically a lighter weight oil "buffed" to make the heavier weight viscosity when hot. A 5w-40 may just be too thin a 40 weight while a 15W-40 is not. Either way, if I was going to put Rotella into a bike, I'd put the 15W-40 in.

One think I like about the "old" style oils though is that the formulations still focus on engine protection, and not a compromise between protection and mpg.
JASO is like SAE just a standard i would suggest that you steer away from JASO FC as that is for twostroke engines.

As i stated rotella is a commercial vehicle oil. You may well be able to use it in 2 stroke m/cycles as it is only going to be for the gearbox.

Totally agree that oil is oil, but using a non compatible one can drastically affect an engine.

Some "diesel oils" are multi purpose engine, gearbox, hydraulics and brakes (tractors etc). Pretty sure that the "brakes" compatible would have no no effect on clutch slippage, not sure ill chnage though!

Rotella is not 1 oil but a whole product line. Within the line you get monograde product as well. Suggest that anyone deciding to use the product researchs well and maybe contact Shell to protect there pride and joy.
Askari is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter your valid email address, that can receive an automated confirmation message. Otherwise, you won't be able to gain full access.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.