Thumbs down for Rotella T6 - Page 5 - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums
» Main Menu

Discussion Forums
 » Twins
 » Tiger
 » General
 » RAT

Features
 » Blogs

Motorcycle.com Links

Contribute
 » Photo

Motorcycle Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Twins Technical Talk Technical Talk for Hinckley Triumph Twins: Bonneville, T100, Speedmaster, America, Thruxton, and Scrambler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 08:28 PM   #41 (permalink)
Formula Extreme
Main Motorcycle: 01 Bonneville

Why are we comparing apples to oranges. The only thing a Tiger and Bonneville have in common are they are both motorcycles made by Triumph which if memory serves me correctly share some transmission components and thats about it. They are purpose built vehichles with different purposes.

If Rotella meets your needs great. I have used the product and was disatsified with it. I didnt save money using, I had to dump it after a 1,000 miles because the bike didnt shift correctly and the clutch was "sticky". Replaced with Mobil 1 20w50 Vtwin and all my headaches disappeared. I also suspect it has more in common with 15w50 Triumph Mobil 1. Both were high zinc oils. The product is available everywhere and is reasonably priced.
DUCKMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 10:28 PM   #42 (permalink)
JAG
SuperStock
Main Motorcycle: 2006 Bonneville T-100

I just picked up Mobil 1 at a local auto zone for $10 a quart. As far as I'm concerned, that's a pretty ****in cheap way to keep the bike running strong.

Oh, and Denbow... The title of the thread didn't tip you off to how this discussion was going to go!!??
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 11:06 PM   #43 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium
Site Supporter
Moto Grand Prix
Main Motorcycle: 2008 BonnieSchwärz

Other Motorcycle: 2007 Total Loss
Yes indeed. We're all friends here anyway.
But I'd like to know whose wheels are the roundest.
Certainly has to be one of our twins because all the other bikes suck.
ruger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 05:47 AM   #44 (permalink)
Formula Extreme
Main Motorcycle: Suzuki GSF 1250S Bandit

Jag

I'm keeping my my head down
denbow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 10:57 AM   #45 (permalink)
Grand Prix 500
Main Motorcycle: Triumph America

I didn't skim all the pages here, but I do want to point out, Rotella T6 is not the same as Rotella T.

I believe T6 is 5W-40, T is 15W-40, so maybe the lighter cold viscosity is what causes issues? I also think T6 has some FM added to it, which could cause slip. I use "regular" T myself, no issues in my engine, so I'm curious. I'd also recommend the 15W-40 over 5W-40 anyway.

Not sure we're all talking about the same type of oil, or only brand, but I've seen similar things happen elsewhere - some engines just don't like otherwise great oils.

And I don't hold stock in any of these companies, but i do want to point out, there's a difference between "cheap" oil and "not-marked up" oil. Rotella is an excellent oil that doesn't carry the official motorcycle label and thus doesn't have the usual motorcycle price markup. It works great for many motorcyclists which is why its so popular.

Last edited by Sayantsi; 11-15-2012 at 11:43 AM.
Sayantsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 04:38 PM   #46 (permalink)
SOTP Vintage Series
Main Motorcycle: 03 T100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
I didn't skim all the pages here, but I do want to point out, Rotella T6 is not the same as Rotella T.

I believe T6 is 5W-40, T is 15W-40, so maybe the lighter cold viscosity is what causes issues? I also think T6 has some FM added to it, which could cause slip. I use "regular" T myself, no issues in my engine, so I'm curious. I'd also recommend the 15W-40 over 5W-40 anyway.

Not sure we're all talking about the same type of oil, or only brand, but I've seen similar things happen elsewhere - some engines just don't like otherwise great oils.

And I don't hold stock in any of these companies, but i do want to point out, there's a difference between "cheap" oil and "not-marked up" oil. Rotella is an excellent oil that doesn't carry the official motorcycle label and thus doesn't have the usual motorcycle price markup. It works great for many motorcyclists which is why its so popular.
I think you are right rotella t not t6 is what works good in our bikes.You should never use car oil with fm added in these bikes.You shouldnt use moble 1 car oil with fm in it ether.but you can use other moble 1 designed for bikes with out fm added .
Old 11-15-2012, 11:32 PM   #47 (permalink)
SuperBike
Main Motorcycle: '08 claret bonnie

Other Motorcycle: '69 Kawasaki Samuri
Challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinva View Post
It would not be fair to you you have a smaller motor your 1050 to my 1087.The 113 hp is that not what triumph rated your bike at? if thats the case thats crank hp you are only makeing around 100 at the rear wheel on the dyno.That will not be enough.140 mph wont cut it ether I will have a easy 10 to 20 mph on you in top end.that is with 9000 rpms.I wouldnt want to take your money you dont have a clue what a bonnie can be made to do.
Tell you what ill hook you both up behind my 550 hp detroit and i wont use the throttle!
Askari is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 11:56 PM   #48 (permalink)
SuperBike
Main Motorcycle: '08 claret bonnie

Other Motorcycle: '69 Kawasaki Samuri
Rotella

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinva View Post
I think you are right rotella t not t6 is what works good in our bikes.You should never use car oil with fm added in these bikes.You shouldnt use moble 1 car oil with fm in it ether.but you can use other moble 1 designed for bikes with out fm added .
Rotella T6,T5, T, T and T1 are all diesel engine oils. Indeed they if used as specced can give warranties to engine wear up to 800, 000K. Maybe that is why triumph dont reccomend them?
All the above are CI or CJ rated C = commercial
Think of SH S= Service or spark plug.

Thr above diesel oils in there latest guises are designed to cope with extremely high comp motors with top rings running at extremely high temps. Some modern motors ( big hp) have ceramic 2 part pistons.

The C ratings have to cope with the new wave of EGR motors, where exhaust gas (a part) is returned to the combustion chamber for another go. These motors mostly us run very hot.

The big issue with diesel is Ash and soot and crappy sulphur contents can be a real headache, causing excess oil consumption on low mileage motors. Trying to find an oil for a mixed fleet used to be a nightmare.

Me i will stick with Triumph and Forchettos reccomendations.

Rotella is cheap because bit more produced than m/cycle oil
Askari is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 10:13 AM   #49 (permalink)
Grand Prix 500
Main Motorcycle: Triumph America

Fwiw, the Rotella oils have all passed JASO specs and some are actually certified. No reason to call them diesel oils - all oils are basically the same but for the additives put in them. There's nothing extra special about motorcycle additives to justify the price hikes for motorcycle-branded oil other than the fact that oil companies can get away with it.

One thing to remember in general, any multi-weight oil is basically a lighter weight oil "buffed" to make the heavier weight viscosity when hot. A 5w-40 may just be too thin a 40 weight while a 15W-40 is not. Either way, if I was going to put Rotella into a bike, I'd put the 15W-40 in.

One think I like about the "old" style oils though is that the formulations still focus on engine protection, and not a compromise between protection and mpg.

Last edited by Sayantsi; 11-16-2012 at 10:20 AM.
Sayantsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 11:42 AM   #50 (permalink)
SOTP Vintage Series
Main Motorcycle: 03 T100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askari View Post
Tell you what ill hook you both up behind my 550 hp detroit and i wont use the throttle!
Ok can I use the KW in my driveway lol.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter your valid email address, that can receive an automated confirmation message. Otherwise, you won't be able to gain full access.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.