Cutting out at highway speeds - trip interuption - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums
» Main Menu

Discussion Forums
 » Twins
 » Tiger
 » General
 » RAT

Features
 » Blogs

Motorcycle.com Links

Contribute
 » Photo

Motorcycle Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Twins Technical Talk Technical Talk for Hinckley Triumph Twins: Bonneville, T100, Speedmaster, America, Thruxton, and Scrambler.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 09:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
Powerbike
Main Motorcycle: 07 Bonne Black
 
ovni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Mississippi Gulf Coast now Monterey, California
Posts: 362
Other Motorcycle: 95 Thunderbird
Exclamation Cutting out at highway speeds - trip interuption

I'm stuck on the road till I find the problem.

I left home today for a weekend ride to Half Moon Bay, and then to San Fransisco. I've come of of the road because of these symptoms...

As I throttle down the highways, at about 60-70 mph, the bike begins to cough as if it's not getting fuel. This is intermittent, and happens while cruising, as well as throttling. This just started happening about a hundred miles into the trip, with about 80 more to go.

Before I stopped to refill the fuel tank, I was on full throttle when I had to switch it over to reserve, losing power. It started immediately and ran good for about 30 miles until the symptoms began.

Could it be bad fuel, clogged filter, or something else. All advice to be taken in consideration, ASAP.
__________________
07 Bonne Black with ARK, AI removed, K&N Pods, Nology Coil and wires, D&D full exhaust, 135 mains/42 pilots, 1 shim @ sea level. Biltwell trackers, Hagon 2810's & progressive fork springs. all blacked out.
ovni is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-03-2012, 09:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium
Site Supporter
Legend
Main Motorcycle: 2009 Bonneville SE
 
Forchetto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Asturias, Spain
Posts: 13,539
Other Motorcycle: Yamaha XV1100
Extra Motorcycle: Qingqi QM200GY-BA
Check that the tank breather hose is clear. There's a procedure to test it at the link below, but you can just pull it off the tank for now or ride with the gas cap slightly undone to allow air into the tank.

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-tech...-and-tips.html
Forchetto is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 09:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
SuperStock
Main Motorcycle: 2011 Thruxton
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovni View Post
I'm stuck on the road till I find the problem.

I left home today for a weekend ride to Half Moon Bay, and then to San Fransisco. I've come of of the road because of these symptoms...

As I throttle down the highways, at about 60-70 mph, the bike begins to cough as if it's not getting fuel. This is intermittent, and happens while cruising, as well as throttling. This just started happening about a hundred miles into the trip, with about 80 more to go.

Before I stopped to refill the fuel tank, I was on full throttle when I had to switch it over to reserve, losing power. It started immediately and ran good for about 30 miles until the symptoms began.

Could it be bad fuel, clogged filter, or something else. All advice to be taken in consideration, ASAP.
Dirty fuel line or something might be pinched? Sorry to hear you are having problems. I was at Woodside today riding 84 and Pescadero road. Too bad they just started ripping apart Skyline Blvd, be careful if you are going up there, Skyline Blvd has tons of gravel.
tkl999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 10:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
Powerbike
Main Motorcycle: 07 Bonne Black
 
ovni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Mississippi Gulf Coast now Monterey, California
Posts: 362
Other Motorcycle: 95 Thunderbird
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forchetto View Post
Check that the tank breather hose is clear. There's a procedure to test it at the link below, but you can just pull it off the tank for now or ride with the gas cap slightly undone to allow air into the tank.

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-tech...-and-tips.html
Thanks Forchetto! I've read some other posts of your pertaining to the igniter coupler under the seat as well as others here, and the general feeling I get is vaporlock. I don't think it's coil related, but will check the connectors at the front of the frame under the tank as soon as I get out of this cafe.

I'm going to get back out on the road after removing the fuel breather under the tank. It's possible that it was kinked during the Innovate (temp) install when I removed the tank to access the under tank connectors. Even so, that was 2,000 miles ago and no problems until now.

I'll keep it under 60 till I get to a good place to further check the condition.
__________________
07 Bonne Black with ARK, AI removed, K&N Pods, Nology Coil and wires, D&D full exhaust, 135 mains/42 pilots, 1 shim @ sea level. Biltwell trackers, Hagon 2810's & progressive fork springs. all blacked out.
ovni is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 10:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
Powerbike
Main Motorcycle: 07 Bonne Black
 
ovni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Mississippi Gulf Coast now Monterey, California
Posts: 362
Other Motorcycle: 95 Thunderbird
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkl999 View Post
Dirty fuel line or something might be pinched? Sorry to hear you are having problems. I was at Woodside today riding 84 and Pescadero road. Too bad they just started ripping apart Skyline Blvd, be careful if you are going up there, Skyline Blvd has tons of gravel.
Thanks for the heads up about SF. I've never ridden in the city and haven't been there for many years.
__________________
07 Bonne Black with ARK, AI removed, K&N Pods, Nology Coil and wires, D&D full exhaust, 135 mains/42 pilots, 1 shim @ sea level. Biltwell trackers, Hagon 2810's & progressive fork springs. all blacked out.
ovni is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 10:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
SuperStock
Main Motorcycle: 2011 Thruxton
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovni View Post
Thanks for the heads up about SF. I've never ridden in the city and haven't been there for many years.
Sorry ovni. I was quick to the punch assuming you know where i was talking about. You said you were at Half Moon bay. Skyline Blvd runs at the top of the hill between Highway 1 and 280 from San Mateo all the way to Saratoga. Skyline Blvd also links you to Alice Restaurant at Woodside which is a huge motorcyclist hangout because of twisty highway 84 and Pescadero Road

https://www.google.com/maps?q=&layer...CIsBEJ8CKAAwAw
tkl999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 12:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
Powerbike
Main Motorcycle: 07 Bonne Black
 
ovni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Mississippi Gulf Coast now Monterey, California
Posts: 362
Other Motorcycle: 95 Thunderbird
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkl999 View Post
Sorry ovni. I was quick to the punch assuming you know where i was talking about. You said you were at Half Moon bay. Skyline Blvd runs at the top of the hill between Highway 1 and 280 from San Mateo all the way to Saratoga. Skyline Blvd also links you to Alice Restaurant at Woodside which is a huge motorcyclist hangout because of twisty highway 84 and Pescadero Road

https://www.google.com/maps?q=&layer...CIsBEJ8CKAAwAw
Thanks for the url to Alice's. I've had a few mentions on my post about the place, and now I know where it is...

I made it to HMB just moments ago. I was in Tracy when we corresponded, last. To rectify the OP, I moved thew carb breather up and to the left side, removed the tank breather (temporarily), checked the spade terminals on my coil....one was loose and could have had bad contact intermittently. All of those or a combination of them did the deed and got here without sputtering, albeit, way late.

By the way, I saw Skyline road as I crossed the pass. I'll pull out in the morning sometime, and head on up to Alice's for lunch, then onto SF.

Because I got here too late, I'll need a campground to camp for the night. Is there one nearby that you know of?
__________________
07 Bonne Black with ARK, AI removed, K&N Pods, Nology Coil and wires, D&D full exhaust, 135 mains/42 pilots, 1 shim @ sea level. Biltwell trackers, Hagon 2810's & progressive fork springs. all blacked out.
ovni is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 12:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium
Site Supporter
World SuperBike
Main Motorcycle: 2007 bonnie black
 
killian101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Whittier CA
Posts: 1,965
Other Motorcycle: 68 BSA (RIP)
Just for giggles, check the battery terminals... make sure they're on good and tight

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Motorcycle.com Free App
killian101 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 12:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
Powerbike
Main Motorcycle: 07 Bonne Black
 
ovni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Mississippi Gulf Coast now Monterey, California
Posts: 362
Other Motorcycle: 95 Thunderbird
Quote:
Originally Posted by killian101 View Post
Just for giggles, check the battery terminals... make sure they're on good and tight

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Motorcycle.com Free App
It was the first thing checked.
__________________
07 Bonne Black with ARK, AI removed, K&N Pods, Nology Coil and wires, D&D full exhaust, 135 mains/42 pilots, 1 shim @ sea level. Biltwell trackers, Hagon 2810's & progressive fork springs. all blacked out.
ovni is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 03:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
NDR
Member
Grand Prix 125
Main Motorcycle: 2007 Bonneville
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 32
Had this happen to me a couple of weeks back and I had to have the biked towed to the shop. While on the side of the road, I'd tried clearing the breather tube to ensure that it wasn't blocked - no luck.

Bike shop basically said my spark plugs needed changing as they'd been gunked them up (maybe the Sea Foam I'd been running?). You might want to check yours.
NDR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter your valid email address, that can receive an automated confirmation message. Otherwise, you won't be able to gain full access.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
32 mpg at Highway Speeds Mark62 Trophy 11 07-27-2009 09:33 PM
Scrambler cutting out at higher speeds Larson Twins Technical Talk 3 04-30-2009 06:09 AM
Does the TOR drone at highway speeds? TheNomad Sprint Forum 9 06-27-2007 10:37 AM
How to get comfortable at highway speeds? Burrben Speed Triple Forum 27 03-11-2007 10:47 PM
tach jumps at highway speeds caspianthruxton Club Cafe' 5 09-18-2006 01:12 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:29 AM.



Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum

Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0