Questions re installing Thruxton fork preload adjusters on T100 - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums
» Main Menu

Discussion Forums
 » Twins
 » Tiger
 » General
 » RAT

Features
 » Blogs

Motorcycle.com Links

Contribute
 » Photo

Motorcycle Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Twins Technical Talk Technical Talk for Hinckley Triumph Twins: Bonneville, T100, Speedmaster, America, Thruxton, and Scrambler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2009, 09:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
Team Owner
Main Motorcycle: '08 Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport

Other Motorcycle: 2012 Guzzi Griso 8v SE
Extra Motorcycle: My 1991 BMW R100GS
Questions re installing Thruxton fork preload adjusters on T100

In addition to installing Intiminators within the next few weeks, I have a set of Thruxton fork caps with preload adjusters.

Here's my question (and forget I mentioned the Intiminators, that will only confuse things).

Since I'll have to shorten the preload spacers to accommodate the Thrux spacers, I'm trying to figure out what position the Thrux adjusters should be at when I'm shortening my spacers.
a. Should I have the Thrux adjusters screwed all the way out, which would make that position identical to the standard T100 preload? That way, the only adjustment would be toward firmer, but with nearly 18mm of adjustment available.
b. Or should I have the Thrux adjusters set in their mid position when measuring my preload spacers. That way, I could go slightly softer or slightly firmer, with approx 9mm of adjustment in each direction

http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n...dAdjusters.jpg

(I think I'm right about the 18mm total adjustment available with the Thrux adjusters)

Bob
GBNF: 03 T100 Luc Org and Silv: 122/42 jets, TORs, 18T, UNI filter, no AI, Polaris bellmouth, Metz 880 tires, Prog. 440 shocks (105/150 springs), 11-1124 frk springs, Thrux frk caps, gaiters, MotoTwin bars, 6024 lamp, htd grips, 12v outlet.

Last edited by ohiorider; 06-20-2009 at 09:47 AM.
ohiorider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2009, 09:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium
Site Supporter
SuperBike
Main Motorcycle: Can't decide now!!

Other Motorcycle: Scram + Thrux
Extra Motorcycle: '71 BSA Thunderbolt
Bob,

I measured the adjustable range of the Thrux adjusters as 17mm when I fitted them to my Scrambler.........

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-tech...the-scram.html

Taking into account the thickness of the "disc washer" I made the adjustability +12mm/-5mm.

In saying that tho, all the adjusting I had to do in comparison to stock was in the + direction (increase pre-load).
I doubt whether or not any - (decrease) would be needed, but its there just in case!

The choice is your on how much to chop your spacers, but nothing is irreversible so go for it!!

V.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium
Site Supporter
SuperBike
Main Motorcycle: 2012 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

I centered the adjustment when I measured to cut my spacer. But, like Ventura, the only adjustment I ever made was in the + direction. I weigh about 200 lbs. If you weigh more, I'd make the spacer longer.
Pokeyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2009, 09:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium
Site Supporter
SuperBike
Main Motorcycle: 2004 Bonnie Black Special

Hi Bob, you need to measure the depth of the Thruxton fork cap and washer and the Bonnie fork cap. This will give you the difference between the two, and you remove this figure from your spacer to make the preload the same as it was without the Thruxton caps. I would also remove an extra 5mm from the spacer and wind in the adjusters that amount to give you +13mm/-5mm adjustment from your standard preload.

Then of course you have to remove the Intiminator measurement which is quoted as 0.56" or about 14mm from your spacer tube.

I'm also going down the exact same road. In about 1/2 an hour I will be stripping the forks down, fitting low stiction seals, Intiminators and the Thruxton fork caps, I will be following the above procedure.

EDIT: I see Ventura has come in with the Thruxton fork caps being 17mm deep and going +12mm/-5mm, he may well be correct. What ever the measurment I'll have a -5mm just in case.

04 Bonnie Black Special

http://www.triumphtwinpower.com

Last edited by PieMan; 06-20-2009 at 09:39 AM.
PieMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2009, 09:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Team Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieMan View Post
Hi Bob, you need to measure the depth of the Thruxton fork cap and washer and the Bonnie fork cap. This will give you the difference between the two, and you remove this figure from your spacer to make the preload the same as it was without the Thruxton caps. I would also remove an extra 5mm from the spacer and wind in the adjusters that amount to give you +13mm/-5mm adjustment from your standard preload.

Then of course you have to remove the Intiminator measurement which is quoted as 0.56" or about 14mm from your spacer tube.

I'm also going down the exact same road. In about 1/2 an hour I will be stripping the forks down, fitting low stiction seals, Intiminators and the Thruxton fork caps, I will be following the above procedure.

EDIT: I see Ventura has come in with the Thruxton fork caps being 17mm deep and going +12mm/-5mm, he may well be correct. What ever the measurment I'll have a -5mm just in case.
Thanks, Pieman. What do you think our results will be? Hopefully we'll end up with a much better-mannered front end on these bikes. Good handler in the smoother twisties, and much smoother over the high speed bumps ie, the US Interstate system.

Bob
GBNF: 03 T100 Luc Org and Silv: 122/42 jets, TORs, 18T, UNI filter, no AI, Polaris bellmouth, Metz 880 tires, Prog. 440 shocks (105/150 springs), 11-1124 frk springs, Thrux frk caps, gaiters, MotoTwin bars, 6024 lamp, htd grips, 12v outlet.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Team Owner

Good info from all you guys! Thanks. Always good to hear from others who've already been there, or are going down the same path.

Bob
Old 06-21-2009, 01:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
Supersport 600
Main Motorcycle: 74 Norton Commando

Extra Motorcycle: ATK 605 Enduro
Installed the Intiminators today, I didn't cut the spacer since i was running the preload adjusters all the way in before. Just backed them out to the original factory setting. Ride quality is much better now. Square edged bumps (potholes) are now a non-issue. The "tuned" forks on my old race bike don't handle square edged bumps this well.
darksider45-70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2009, 07:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
BJK
Minitwins

Does anyone know what the difference in size is of the Thruxton caps and the stock Bonneville fork caps? Thanks
BJK is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2009, 07:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium
Site Supporter
SuperBike
Main Motorcycle: 2004 Bonnie Black Special

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJK View Post
Does anyone know what the difference in size is of the Thruxton caps and the stock Bonneville fork caps? Thanks
16mm.

04 Bonnie Black Special

http://www.triumphtwinpower.com
PieMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2009, 07:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
BJK
Minitwins

Thanks pieman. Did you complete the on your forks? If you did I have a couple of questions. First; After adding the size difference of the Thruxton caps and the stock Bonneville caps to the size of the washer and intimidators, you cut about 36mm off the stock spacers? Second; How does the bike ride? Have you been able to fine tune it with the adjustable caps or was more needed such as adjusting the fork oil level. Thanks, I appreciate it.
BJK is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter your valid email address, that can receive an automated confirmation message. Otherwise, you won't be able to gain full access.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.