Questions re installing Thruxton fork preload adjusters on T100 - Page 3 - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums
» Main Menu

Discussion Forums
 » Twins
 » Tiger
 » General
 » RAT

Features
 » Blogs

Motorcycle.com Links

Contribute
 » Photo

Motorcycle Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Twins Technical Talk Technical Talk for Hinckley Triumph Twins: Bonneville, T100, Speedmaster, America, Thruxton, and Scrambler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2009, 07:44 PM   #21 (permalink)
Team Owner
Main Motorcycle: '08 Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport

Other Motorcycle: 2012 Guzzi Griso 8v SE
Extra Motorcycle: My 1991 BMW R100GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieMan View Post
I also noticed how much stiction was bought about by the weather seals that plug into the sliders. What I did: tape up the top of the slider to the stantion, so nothing can fall on the fork seals. Cut some sandpaper/wet 'n dry about 3" high and enough to wrap round the stantion. With it wrapped round the stantion and held in place with one hand, bring the weather seal down over the sandpaper/wet 'n dry and then twist it round, back and forth. Lift it above the paper and see how it feels on the stantion, I eventually made mine a snug fit, but with very little drag. Blow any remnants of sanding off the slider tape and remove. Then oil the stantion and move the weather seal up and down the stantion, you will see a black line of oil/rubber, wipe this clean and push the weather seals home.

This made a big difference in how the forks settle to the same level after bouncing up and down.
So, the weather seals pop out fairly easily? Neat. I never considered these things could be a source of stiction. I also run gaiters, so this may be next on my list if fork things to do. Question - did you start at 130mm fork oil level, or work your way to this after starting at the stock 120mm?

Bob
GBNF: 03 T100 Luc Org and Silv: 122/42 jets, TORs, 18T, UNI filter, no AI, Polaris bellmouth, Metz 880 tires, Prog. 440 shocks (105/150 springs), 11-1124 frk springs, Thrux frk caps, gaiters, MotoTwin bars, 6024 lamp, htd grips, 12v outlet.
ohiorider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2009, 02:15 AM   #22 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium
Site Supporter
SuperBike
Main Motorcycle: 2004 Bonnie Black Special

I did start at 120mm, but felt it was a little too harsh so went to 130mm. I want to try 140mm as I figure the Intiminators take up about 20mm of fluid space.

04 Bonnie Black Special

http://www.triumphtwinpower.com
PieMan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2009, 02:59 AM   #23 (permalink)
SuperBike
Main Motorcycle: Triumph

spacers / oil

pieman,

To quote Carl Fogarty "I 'ate s'pension", I'm the same. But since we're on the subject, I had problems with harshness after fitting Ikon fork springs. I changed the oil to 5 weight, but kept the level the same. I later read a thread on here about how much difference can be had from reducing the level of oil if you find your suspension harsh. (for some reason, my efi Bonnie forks are more compliant over wee bumps than the Scram's)

Also may be of some use to those of you fine tuning spacer lengths, bicycle 'Aheadset' spacers for 1 1/8" steerer tubes (available in packs of assorted thicknes) from any cycle shop. Pictures on this thread: http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-tech...k-springs.html
Old 07-24-2009, 07:17 AM   #24 (permalink)
Team Owner
Main Motorcycle: '08 Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport

Other Motorcycle: 2012 Guzzi Griso 8v SE
Extra Motorcycle: My 1991 BMW R100GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieMan View Post
I did start at 120mm, but felt it was a little too harsh so went to 130mm. I want to try 140mm as I figure the Intiminators take up about 20mm of fluid space.
Mike, one more question .... did you set your fork oil level, then install the Intiminators? I installed the Intiminators first, then set my level at 120mm.

Re various fork oil levels ...... makes a big difference, since the less non-compressable fluid in the fork, the more compressable air is available to act as an 'air spring'. This seems to be rather critical. I played with the levels when I was running the 11-1126 Progressive springs, starting at 140mm below, then 175 below, finally opting for 165 mm below.

Question, whatever happened to the little drain plugs on the bottom of the forks .... remember, you removed them, then pumped the bike's forks to drain them? Wonder if anyone on the forum knows if this could be done on our Bonnies? Might make fine tuning the fork much easier.

Bob
GBNF: 03 T100 Luc Org and Silv: 122/42 jets, TORs, 18T, UNI filter, no AI, Polaris bellmouth, Metz 880 tires, Prog. 440 shocks (105/150 springs), 11-1124 frk springs, Thrux frk caps, gaiters, MotoTwin bars, 6024 lamp, htd grips, 12v outlet.
ohiorider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2009, 05:22 PM   #25 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium
Site Supporter
SuperBike
Main Motorcycle: 2004 Bonnie Black Special

Bob, I filled with oil then pushed the Intiminators through the oil with the spring. I'm going to the 140mm level because of a slight harshness of rebound, I'll see what happens.

Drain plugs, too bloody right! Where have they gone? I fitted a pair of Intiminators to a mate's Sportster a couple of weeks ago. Before hand I thought it may be quite a job, to my surprise it had drain plugs on the forks. It wouldn't be that hard a mod to do to our bikes when the forks are dismantled. Why didn't I think of that before, bugger, gonna have to strip them again.

04 Bonnie Black Special

http://www.triumphtwinpower.com
PieMan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2009, 07:00 PM   #26 (permalink)
BJK
Minitwins

Pieman, Do you remember how ml's of oil you removed from the forks to reduce the level from 120mm to 130mm from the top? And did you remove the fork, spacers and springs or just remove it with the forks installed and the caps removed. Thanks

Last edited by BJK; 07-27-2009 at 07:07 PM.
BJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2009, 11:45 AM   #27 (permalink)
SuperStock
Main Motorcycle: Triumph Bonneville T100

Figured some new pics would be nice. Bob
Old 12-12-2012, 05:23 PM   #28 (permalink)
Supersport 600
Main Motorcycle: Bonneville T100 EFI

Hey guys,

Considering installing some Thruxton forks on my T100-- eventually will be going to a 17 front, but that's another story. Mostly, I want to tighten up geometry with the 19, and see if i can play around a tad. Can someone please post a step-by step overview of some good starting points and measurements?

Feel free to PM as well.

Thanks.
iomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 05:56 PM   #29 (permalink)
World SuperBike
Main Motorcycle: 05 T100

Other Motorcycle: Don't need another one!
Fitting Thruxton forks to a T100 won't change the geometry. I have a pair on my T100 and they're the same length as the original forks. The only differences are in the mudguard and brake caliper mounts (and the preload adjusters). The different fork geometry of the Thruxton is due to the different offset in the fork yokes (triple trees) so you would need to fit those to get a change. Obviously the 18" wheel and longer rear shocks also affect the overall steering geometry. Raising the fork tubes by up to 20mm in the triple trees so they stick out of the top will speed up the steering, but watch out for your mudguard being dented by the horn if you're still using the soft OEM springs.

Herts. UK
Aubergine & White 05 T100 (865cc) with numerous mods.
(Previously Ducati Monster S4 and several UJMs)

Last edited by PAAS; 12-12-2012 at 06:01 PM.
PAAS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 06:08 PM   #30 (permalink)
Supersport 600
Main Motorcycle: Bonneville T100 EFI

Aye; thanks. I was also thinking about the dark arts of new front springs and new oil... but, maybe it would be best to get the wheels/tires I want first, and adjust for that (with new trees).
iomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter your valid email address, that can receive an automated confirmation message. Otherwise, you won't be able to gain full access.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.