2001 bonnie clutch chatter - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums
» Main Menu

Discussion Forums
 » Twins
 » Tiger
 » General
 » RAT

Features
 » Blogs

Motorcycle.com Links

Contribute
 » Photo

Motorcycle Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Twins Technical Talk Technical Talk for Hinckley Triumph Twins: Bonneville, T100, Speedmaster, America, Thruxton, and Scrambler.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2009, 08:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member
Grand Prix 250
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: bennington vermont
Posts: 80
2001 bonnie clutch chatter

any body that has one that chatters in 1st gear when your in traffic and your using the clutch,,,,the early ones did this, mine did, the fix is a new push rod that hits the push rod seat the old push rod is round at the end the new one looks longer and the end is shaped like the seat i tryed to fix it a couple years ago and no one knew any thing so this year i gave it another try i called greatbay triumph and al knew what i was talking about and sent me the part you also need the clutch cover gasket, oil , filter and crusher washer about
130 bucks , my guess it might take the dealer an hour , greatbays in north hampton NH,
THANKS AL.
ohyea the clutch cable gets shorter i had to stick it in the linkage before
i bolted it down but you might need one
kurtisf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-11-2009, 09:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
SuperStock
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: brooklyn, nyc
Posts: 289
i've got an '01, but have never experienced clutch chatter. i've heard that this is common problem for our vintage, however. it's good to know it can be fixed relatively easily. thanks for the info. i'll subscribe to this thread for future reference.
__________________
2005 Triumph Bonneville T-100
pretty much stock to the bone, 'cept for some af turn signals... so far.
metasac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2009, 12:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Member
Grand Prix 125
Main Motorcycle: 2011 t-bird storm
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Grand Rapids
Posts: 31
Mine seems to be doing exactly same thing. Thanks for the heads up, gonna check that out asap. By the way -greetings to all (first timer)
jabol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2009, 01:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
Team Owner
Main Motorcycle: '08 Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport
 
ohiorider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Hudson, Ohio - USA
Posts: 5,513
Other Motorcycle: 2012 Guzzi Griso 8v SE
Extra Motorcycle: My 1991 BMW R100GS
A good riding buddy of mine owned one of the first Bonnies in the country ( he placed his order long before they were on showroom floors). Not far into ownership, perhaps 5000 miles, his bike would start off in first gear with a 'clunk, clunk. clunk' sound and feel.

Not sure about the repair, but I believe it was fixed under warranty. It may have involved replacing some parts, perhaps the clutch basket .... don't recall. However, this fix should be on file with Triumph, so you should be able to get info about it.

Once fixed, it was fixed for good. He didn't sell the bike until 2007, by which time it had nearly 28000 miles on the clock.

Bob
__________________
GBNF: 03 T100 Luc Org and Silv: 122/42 jets, TORs, 18T, UNI filter, no AI, Polaris bellmouth, Metz 880 tires, Prog. 440 shocks (105/150 springs), 11-1124 frk springs, Thrux frk caps, gaiters, MotoTwin bars, 6024 lamp, htd grips, 12v outlet.
ohiorider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2009, 02:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium
Site Supporter
Legend
Main Motorcycle: 2009 Bonneville SE
 
Forchetto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Asturias, Spain
Posts: 14,282
Other Motorcycle: Yamaha XV1100
Extra Motorcycle: Qingqi QM200GY-BA
Not sure if it's applicable, but on Jap four cylinder bikes out of balance carbs would shake the clutch drum and produce a characteristic clatter at idle and low revs. Balancing carbs cured it.
Forchetto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2009, 03:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
World SuperBike
Main Motorcycle: 05 T100
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
Posts: 2,277
Other Motorcycle: Don't need another one!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forchetto View Post
Not sure if it's applicable, but on Jap four cylinder bikes out of balance carbs would shake the clutch drum and produce a characteristic clatter at idle and low revs. Balancing carbs cured it.
Not really. This is a known problem with the (very) early bikes that Triumph has a fix for and any decent dealer should have access to the required info and parts to fix (but there seem to be a lot of crappy dealers about, particularly in the US). I believe Triumph are still fixing this under warranty, but I wouldn't swear to it. It's not something that owners of post 01 bikes really need to worry about.
__________________
Paul.

Herts. UK
Aubergine & White 05 T100 (865cc) with numerous mods.
(Previously Ducati Monster S4 and several UJMs)
PAAS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 03:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
New Member
Production 125
Main Motorcycle: 2001 Triumph Bonneville
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Padstow UK
Posts: 9
Re: clutch pushrod replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtisf View Post
any body that has one that chatters in 1st gear when your in traffic and your using the clutch,,,,the early ones did this, mine did, the fix is a new push rod that hits the push rod seat the old push rod is round at the end the new one looks longer and the end is shaped like the seat i tryed to fix it a couple years ago and no one knew any thing so this year i gave it another try i called greatbay triumph and al knew what i was talking about and sent me the part you also need the clutch cover gasket, oil , filter and crusher washer about
130 bucks , my guess it might take the dealer an hour , greatbays in north hampton NH,
THANKS AL.
ohyea the clutch cable gets shorter i had to stick it in the linkage before
i bolted it down but you might need one
I don't suppose you have the part number for the replacement pushrod? I have the same problem. Regards
jamessymes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 03:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium
Site Supporter
Legend
Main Motorcycle: 2009 Bonneville SE
 
Forchetto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Asturias, Spain
Posts: 14,282
Other Motorcycle: Yamaha XV1100
Extra Motorcycle: Qingqi QM200GY-BA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamessymes View Post
I don't suppose you have the part number for the replacement pushrod? I have the same problem. Regards
kurtisf has not been in the forum since 2009. If it's any help World of triumph parts locator has 3 options for that part, items 18 on the listing/drawing below.

There are some engine numbers showing up to which engine the different parts were used.

To get the proper factory part number you need to press "add to cart" then click on the name or description that appears and that takes you to another screen with the part number:

http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triump...&block_03=3130
Forchetto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 03:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
New Member
Production 125
Main Motorcycle: 2001 Triumph Bonneville
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Padstow UK
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forchetto View Post
kurtisf has not been in the forum since 2009. If it's any help World of triumph parts locator has 3 options for that part, items 18 on the listing/drawing below.

There are some engine numbers showing up to which engine the different parts were used.

To get the proper factory part number you need to press "add to cart" then click on the name or description that appears and that takes you to another screen with the part number:

http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triump...&block_03=3130
Thanks so much. That's a great help. New here. Trying to get my 2001 Bonne all sorted. I wonder which of the three listed parts he fitted?
Regards
jamessymes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 03:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium
Site Supporter
Legend
Main Motorcycle: 2009 Bonneville SE
 
Forchetto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Asturias, Spain
Posts: 14,282
Other Motorcycle: Yamaha XV1100
Extra Motorcycle: Qingqi QM200GY-BA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamessymes View Post
Thanks so much. That's a great help. New here. Trying to get my 2001 Bonne all sorted. I wonder which of the three listed parts he fitted?
Regards
Somebody must know this. Mikeinva knows these engines inside out and I hope he reads this thread.

In the meantime we'll try and keep the thread visible by "bumping" it for a couple of days...
Forchetto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter your valid email address, that can receive an automated confirmation message. Otherwise, you won't be able to gain full access.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Clutch chatter Yelwoh The Rocket Science Forum 3 09-12-2007 06:17 PM
Clutch Chatter Bobnoxious Twins Technical Talk 17 06-29-2006 01:40 PM
Clutch Chatter SbGunslinger Twins Talk 0 05-24-2006 09:06 PM
Clutch chatter farky Twins Talk 2 05-13-2006 01:42 AM
Clutch Chatter Odysseus Twins Talk 7 10-15-2005 01:07 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:17 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum Ninja H2 Forum Ducati Scrambler Forum

Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.