Contribute
 » Photo

Motorcycle Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Twins Talk Discussion of Hinckley Triumph Twin related matters and topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 01:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
Formula Extreme
Main Motorcycle: The one I'm on, mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrumpetRat View Post
So, Charles, mind if I ask what seat you have on that Bonnie? Also, what was disappointing about the tour?

Congratulations!
We did the tour two-up on the flat T100 seat. But, we have modified the seat. I ride on Bead Rider beads, and Nina sits on an Airhawk pad.

What was disappointing? When you buy the National Parks Passport, it comes with a map showing all their sites. It isn't a big map and it covers the 48 lower states, Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and Guam, but it gives you a pretty good idea of where the sites are for planning. On the back of the map is some visitor center information which tells what state the sites are in. This is handy since many are near or on the borders of states. The trouble is that for many visitor centers, they give a post office box number. It is often a lot of trouble to find the actual visitor center and we gave up on some. Furthermore, we went way out of our way a few times for a stamp and then passed another visitor center for the same park that was right on our route.

The rangers at the visitor centers were very nice to us -- with one exception -- and they are proud of whatever site they were managing, but someone near the top of the National Parks system evidently doesn't want GPS coordinates listed on their websites or on the literature they supply. This seems needlessly stubborn and the rangers told us that many people complain about it.

Another disappointment is that at a few sites, we felt like we needed to get the stamp, move on, and make some more miles. Some of our parks get thousands of visitors a day. Others get a couple of hundred in a month. It was very hard not to spend time with the people who really want you to show an interest in their site. We left a few sites feeling bad about that.

I think there is a rush about most or all of the IBA rides and that's what's kept me from doing them. The National Parks tour took us to many places we might not have gone and that was fun, but we still felt pressed sometimes.

All in all, it was a lot of fun and it is surprising how many sites they manage. There are probably battle sites, historic sites, or recreational areas near you that you don't know about. There might even be a National Park. We collected our first stamp in Greensboro which is only about 25 miles away.

Regards, Chuck
Charles Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 07:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
Powerbike
Main Motorcycle: 2002 Bonneville

Other Motorcycle: 1964 Bonneville Project
I read the ride link that you provided and had wondered about the time constraints. But at least you did it! Congratulations again.
RevnUp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 03:31 AM   #13 (permalink)
Lesser spotted moderator
Site Supporter
Team Owner
Main Motorcycle: Suzuki V-Strom 650

Other Motorcycle: 2006 Bonneville Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Lathe View Post
I think there is a rush about most or all of the IBA rides and that's what's kept me from doing them. The National Parks tour took us to many places we might not have gone and that was fun, but we still felt pressed sometimes.
A criticism I often get from non-riders, or at least those who don't do long distances, is "you'll never see anything at that pace". That's a fair comment in the sense that I don't stop to spend two/three hours looking around a cathedral during an iron butt ride but I do get to see way more than I would see if I didn't do the ride or if I'd planned a site-seeing ride. Frequently I notice things on an IB ride that I wouldn't otherwise have noticed and I then plan a separate trip especially to go enjoy the novelties.

I've never done speed-dating but I imagine that it's a similar experience. Maybe I'll like the cute blonde and want to spend more time with her but I wouldn't have even met her if I'd gone on a regular date with the first girl.

"Just because you're offended doesn't make you right" Ricky Gervais
saphena is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 06:52 AM   #14 (permalink)
Grand Prix 250
Main Motorcycle: All of them

Extra Motorcycle: Down to 1 bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birch View Post
Congrats! I keep wondering if a Thrux/Bonnie/Scram could do two hour jaunts on the freeway.

Goes to show its more rider than machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
I rode my 03 T100 from Maine down to South Florida last year. It rained most of the way and I just wanted to get home so I took I-95 and the bike was a pleasure to ride. 80 mph for most of the 1500 miles.The bike ran flawlessly.

2013 Scrambler
dcc46 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 02:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
Minitwins
Main Motorcycle: Bonneville

Other Motorcycle: Ducati MH900e
Extra Motorcycle: Ducati F1 750
If a Moto Guzzi LeManns 3 can win the Iron Butt in 1993 a Bonneville can do it too.....it's not the bike it's the rider and Steve Attwood was a hardcore Guzzi rider
izzug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 02:40 AM   #16 (permalink)
Grand Prix 250
Main Motorcycle: 2011 Triumph Thruxton EFI

Other Motorcycle: 2008 Suzuki Boulevard
Iron Butt T100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birch View Post
Congrats! I keep wondering if a Thrux/Bonnie/Scram could do two hour jaunts on the freeway.

Goes to show its more rider than machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
I rode southern Germany to a few hours north of London in one day... 2 hours? Lol, not so much. You don't need a comfortable bike to ride that long.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
2011 Thruxton: FEK, ARK, EMGO exhaust, TTP Tune #12, 170 rear wheel, D9 bracket, TEC Damper/Rear Shocks, etc
sequils is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 10:43 PM   #17 (permalink)
SuperBike
Main Motorcycle: 04 Thruxton

Other Motorcycle: 13 Str Trple R
Great effort. Do you have a picture of your Bearshark? any special mods? what would you change on your bike if you had to do it again?
2004 Thrux, FCR, Uni, 813 cams, Works shocks, drilled Ricor valves, Pieman ignitor, green springs, Beringer caliper, preds, damper, brace, Corbin, custom tinware, JMC swingarm, Brembo radial M/C, oil cooler, rearsets, clip ons, tubeless rims, Acewell
Aussiematt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 11:59 PM   #18 (permalink)
SuperStock
Main Motorcycle: BMW

Other Motorcycle: A few
Extra Motorcycle: BMW
It's not the seat that concerns me but(t) the fuel tank capacity.

Congrats!
bohemian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 07:13 AM   #19 (permalink)
Formula Extreme
Main Motorcycle: The one I'm on, mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiematt View Post
Great effort. Do you have a picture of your Bearshark? any special mods? what would you change on your bike if you had to do it again?
[IMG][/IMG]

I'd like to put Race Tech cartridge simulators in the forks, but they haven't been very helpful about which springs I should use so I haven't gotten anywhere with that.

Other than that, we're all set.

Regards, Chuck
Charles Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 02:07 PM   #20 (permalink)
Grand Prix 125
Main Motorcycle: '12 800 Tiger (Roadie)

Other Motorcycle: Two Hinckley twins
Extra Motorcycle: 77 bmw
I have done 650 miles in a day on a 05 black bonnie with a stock Thruxton seat.Towards the end of the ride I was ready to get off of it.
ccbonnie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter your valid email address, that can receive an automated confirmation message. Otherwise, you won't be able to gain full access.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.