Can't decide between standard Bonneville, SE or T100 - Page 2 - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums
» Main Menu

Discussion Forums
 » Twins
 » Tiger
 » General
 » RAT

Features
 » Blogs

Motorcycle.com Links

Contribute
 » Photo

Motorcycle Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Twins Talk Discussion of Hinckley Triumph Twin related matters and topics. Sponsored By: Throttle Mojo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2012, 07:31 AM   #11 (permalink)
SuperSport
Main Motorcycle: Bonneville T100 EFI

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacobutter View Post
So I'm upgrading from a Suzuki TU250 into the Bonneville world. I'm 6'2", and several reviews that I've read say that I should skip straight to the T100 due to the taller seat height.

I test drove a T100 today, and it's a fine machine. However the seat height really seems to be due to the larger front wheel, which makes it handle less nimbly.

And then I come home after my test drive and read this article that trashes the T100 and encourages potential buyers to go for the standard, as it performs better:

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/20...o-bonnevilles/

Now I'm kicking myself for not test driving a standard or SE.

I like the spoked wheels of the T100 but could live without them. The tach on the SE is nice, but I've been driving my TU250 tachless for a few years now without issue.

Should I save $900 and give the standard a chance?

Do the standards and SE models perform that much better than the T100?

Will a 6'2" dude be comfortable on a non-T100?

Well what a terrible review! Self-confessed speed freak tests classic bike - well that's gonna work isn't it?

"Been on a 4 day drinking binge and the T100 didn't inspire confidence" - you shouldn't even have been on the road you selfish numpty.

Re the difference between the three BONNY classics - they all have the same engine frame and gearbox. The differences are predominantly looks; but the seat heights are different. There is definitely more leg room on a T100.

Slow steering T100? Don't know which bike he was riding but mine never felt slow, and now that I have longer (35mm) springs & shocks on the back the steering is quicker.

If you buy into the looks and the whole ethos of riding a classic, buy a Triumph Bonneville of any style, if you're after knee sliding antics don't buy one - SIMPLES
Bonny - '10 Bonneville T100 with saucy Dominator pipes, de-snorkel'd, de-baffled airbox, de-AI'd, UNI air filter; De-OČ sensors; TTP map 3; TEC fork brace, steering damper and now Gas Shocks. Sounds fabulous
thebiglad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2012, 07:35 AM   #12 (permalink)
Formula Extreme
Main Motorcycle: The one I'm on, mostly.

I am very fond of my tachometer. It really is a useful instrument.

I'm pretty sure the pegs drag earlier on the Bonneville standard or SE than on the T100.

I'm 6' tall and I am pretty sure that the All Black T100 has more room between the top of the seat and the pegs. I'm much less sure about the other T100s. It's probably not a lot of difference, but my bike became even more comfy when I put a Bead Rider pad on the seat and raised myself another half inch or so.

If you don't have a preference or if you lean toward the SE, I've had spoked wheels and mag wheels and mag wheels have a something to offer, but one of my sons just bought a Tiger 800XC with spokes. I would have gotten the straight Tiger for the reasons you're looking at an SE, but he wants the look of spoked wheels even though he admits he probably won't do a lot of off-road riding.

My guess is that you might someday miss the tach on the Standard, but you'll grow to love everything on whichever Bonneville you choose.

Regards, Chuck
Charles Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2012, 08:11 AM   #13 (permalink)
SuperSport
Main Motorcycle: Bonneville T-100

Other Motorcycle: Trophy SE
Extra Motorcycle: Suzuki S40
I haven't been on the T100. However, I'm looking to get either an SE or a T100 within a month. I'm 5'11" and could stand to loose about 20 pounds. When I test rode the SE if found it to be one heck of a bike. I like the looks of the spoked wheels but I'm a fan of the smaller wheel on the SE.

I too look forward to any more advice.
vzshadow is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2012, 10:01 AM   #14 (permalink)
Grand Prix 250
Main Motorcycle: Bonneville

Jeez if I see or read another comment or review about the T100 turning slow.....
Most riders wouldn't tell the difference and because there's so much bs out there, it's become almost a placebo effect.
I can throw my t100 around aswell as I ever could mybsportsbikes.
I have no chicken strips left on either front or back tyres nor has it ever triedto throw me or tankslap.
Anyway
I'm over 6ft hence the taller option is better plus I added longer rear shocks .
AndyB72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2012, 04:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
Grand Prix 250
Main Motorcycle: 2011 Bonneville SE EFI

I was ready to pull the trigger on a gorgeous two tone blk/wt 2010 T100 when I was looking to buy my first street bike last year. Talked to the salesman for a week and had check book in hand ready to pay cash for the bike but the bike was sold out from under me. Call it fate, but I ended up with a two tone blue/wt 2011 SE Mag Wheel Bonnevile and absolutely love it. I am 6'1" 34" inseam and have no problem with the fit of the bike. The bike is nimble and gets around town very well. If I was going for pure nostalgic looks, I would have to go with the T100. For sport and nimbleness go for the base or SE. I sat on both bikes and to me the T100 felt quite a bit heavier with the spoked wheels and chrome bits. Just my $0.02 but if you are coming from a sport bike I think you are going to be happier with the SE. Ride both and I think you will find a clear choice. Enjoy.
SUPERCRUZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2012, 05:25 PM   #16 (permalink)
Minitwins
Main Motorcycle: Wakan

Other Motorcycle: skoda
Extra Motorcycle: gresham flyer
i`m 6`2" and have an SE. Get a T100 seat and get rid of the standard bars as they pull back too much. I have 3" rise bars bought off well known auction site; they work well. The bike feels physically bigger. I`ve never ridden a T100, they look gorgeous but i bet they don`t have the quick turn in an SE has. I had a Tuono before the SE because i wanted to slow down...no chance it`s a little hooligan. I`m going off topic! Like i said don`t worry if you`re over 6`because you can change the ergos easily and cheaply!
shed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2012, 05:36 PM   #17 (permalink)
Grand Prix 500
Main Motorcycle: 2012 Thruxton

Other Motorcycle: 1970 Suzuki T350
I have the T100, and love it. But I did ride the SE, too. It was great, but the reach to the bars felt cramped, and i really didn't like the scooped out seat. But...you can change both of those things easily. I'd say go with the one you like the looks of best, you can change the ergos to suit your style.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:33 PM   #18 (permalink)
Grand Prix 250
Main Motorcycle: Triumph Tiger Explorer

I too have the T100. I'm 6'4 and the SE felt way too small for me. When I rode it I felt all folded up. You may have a different experience than I did. Enjoy your new ride, whatever it is!
rblack84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2012, 08:54 PM   #19 (permalink)
Grand Prix 250
Main Motorcycle: 2010 Scrambler

Other Motorcycle: '78 Yamaha xs650 hardtail
being 6'2" and 205 lbs myself i had a lot of the same issues your dealing with. checked out all of the triumph classics; SE standard T100 thruxton and scrambler. for me as soon as i sat on the standard and the SE i felt like is was just too large for either. although both can prob easily be adjusted with new seats handlebars and such. thruxton foot peg position left my legs a little cramped. that left the T100 and the Scambler. for me the scrambler seat height and handlebar postion fit me perfect. couldnt be more comfortable and the bike control is so effortless. you've got to be comfortable on your bike. for my two cents go for the T100 or if you want to be a little different go the Scram way.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:38 PM   #20 (permalink)
SuperBike
Main Motorcycle: 2013 Triumph Scrambler

Other Motorcycle: 2014 Bonneville T100 SE
I think you need the T100. The SE is too small for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter your valid email address, that can receive an automated confirmation message. Otherwise, you won't be able to gain full access.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.