Contribute
 » Photo

Motorcycle Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Twins Talk Discussion of Hinckley Triumph Twin related matters and topics. Sponsored By: Throttle Mojo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2010, 07:46 PM   #21 (permalink)
Powerbike
Main Motorcycle: 2011 Bonneville T100

Other Motorcycle: wait...there are OTHERS ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by meloman View Post
Buy a Bonnie SE, install a Thruxton seat and cowl, add lower bars if that's your preference and you'll have the best of both worlds, the looks of a Thruxton and the comfort of a Bonnie but it will be lighter and handle better than either of them and will be unique.
Pssst....read post 11
ALPINE STAR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2010, 10:46 PM   #22 (permalink)
Grand Prix 125
Main Motorcycle: Thruxton

Honestly, after serching this site and links I found on this site, I'm strongly considering getting a older used bike, such as a 74 Honda CB cafe'ed out for 1/3 the price of a new Triumph.

Keep in mind, this will be my first bike, so buying something older/cheaper will let me get my feet wet w/o killing my wallet.

I really dig the Triumphs, and the whole brit bike thing, but $3k >>>>$8k
STEADYMOBBIN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2010, 12:43 PM   #23 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium
Site Supporter
Formula Extreme
Main Motorcycle: 2009 Scrambler

Other Motorcycle: 2010 R1200GS
STEADYMOBBIN, keep looking. My friend just bought a low mileage, perfect condition 2006 T100 with lots of extra goodies for $4500. There are good deals out there if you're patient. I'd wait for a Triumph before I bought a Honda (no offense to Honda owners as I was once a Honda franchise service manager).
By the time you buy the old Honda, get used to it, and then have to sell it to buy your dream Triumph, you'll lose more money (assuming you can sell it) and then have to shell out even more for the Triumph.
meloman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2010, 12:49 PM   #24 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium
Site Supporter
Formula Extreme
Main Motorcycle: 2009 Scrambler

Other Motorcycle: 2010 R1200GS
Alpine Star, nice job on your T100 (Thrux100 ?). I personally like the handling of the SE better as well as the ease of wheel cleaning. I do wish I had the T100 front fender because I like the pedestrian slicer look.
meloman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2010, 12:50 PM   #25 (permalink)
SuperSport
Main Motorcycle: My 09 Bonneville Black

Other Motorcycle: Want the new CB1100
I seem to see a number of good deals on really low mileage Bonnies on Ebay. I've read here that they don't come up for sale that often but that hasn't been my experience based on what Ive been seeing. Get the used 'good deal' Bonnie, if you ever go to sell it you'll probably break even.
LuckyBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2010, 01:18 PM   #26 (permalink)
Formula Extreme
Main Motorcycle: 2008 Bonneville Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEADYMOBBIN View Post
Honestly, after serching this site and links I found on this site, I'm strongly considering getting a older used bike, such as a 74 Honda CB cafe'ed out for 1/3 the price of a new Triumph.

Keep in mind, this will be my first bike, so buying something older/cheaper will let me get my feet wet w/o killing my wallet.

I really dig the Triumphs, and the whole brit bike thing, but $3k >>>>$8k
Those old Hondas are way cool, but they are not going to ride much like a modern Triumph.

For one thing, the brakes are going to be horrible. You may have issues starting the bike in cold weather depending on the state of the carburetors. The bike will not be anywhere near as smooth or as powerful as the new Triumph. I went from a 1985 Honda Magna to a 2008 Triumph and I was just blown away at how much better the Triumph was in every possible way.

Not trying to talk you out of an older bike, because like I said, they're way cool, but it's foolish to think you can get something roughly equivalent to a new Triumph for 1/3 or 1/4 the cost.

Again, I've owned two older naked Japanese bikes that I've had to wrangle with in one way or another to keep on the road, so I speak from experience.

I'd consider looking for a used Triumph... 2001 to 2005 or so. If you're willing to spend $3k on a '70s Honda (way too much unless it is pristine, imo), you could probably get a medium to low miles Triumph in great condition for $4k or so.

Good luck.
SomethingClever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2010, 10:29 PM   #27 (permalink)
Grand Prix 125
Main Motorcycle: Thruxton

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingClever View Post
Those old Hondas are way cool, but they are not going to ride much like a modern Triumph.

For one thing, the brakes are going to be horrible. You may have issues starting the bike in cold weather depending on the state of the carburetors. The bike will not be anywhere near as smooth or as powerful as the new Triumph. I went from a 1985 Honda Magna to a 2008 Triumph and I was just blown away at how much better the Triumph was in every possible way.

Not trying to talk you out of an older bike, because like I said, they're way cool, but it's foolish to think you can get something roughly equivalent to a new Triumph for 1/3 or 1/4 the cost.

Again, I've owned two older naked Japanese bikes that I've had to wrangle with in one way or another to keep on the road, so I speak from experience.

I'd consider looking for a used Triumph... 2001 to 2005 or so. If you're willing to spend $3k on a '70s Honda (way too much unless it is pristine, imo), you could probably get a medium to low miles Triumph in great condition for $4k or so.

Good luck.
Ive since done some research and have come to the same conclusion. I want a Triumph. Like you said, after I have the Honda for awhile, I'm just going to want a thrux or Bonnie.

When is the most opportune time to buy form the dealer? I imagine Jan/Feb, the dealers and salesmen are desperate to move stuff. I have also heard that they rarely budge on the price of these new, but hey.

This bike is just begging me to pick her up next week. I was just at this dealer on Saturday and they only had a red one.
STEADYMOBBIN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2010, 01:39 AM   #28 (permalink)
Formula Extreme
Main Motorcycle: 2008 Bonneville Black

Probably heading into the colder months is the best time to buy, but I don't think it makes a huge difference either way. Bike dealers just don't have a huge amount of room to deal.

Definitely take the riding skills class before buying if this is your first bike. Don't want to drop that beautiful new machine needlessly. I'd still keep my eye out for a used Bonnie or Thrux, too.
SomethingClever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2010, 02:56 AM   #29 (permalink)
Minitwins
Main Motorcycle: Too many to choose

I have an -09 Thruxton that I am in the prcess of neutering into a Bonneville. So far I have put Ikon i" shorter Bonneville shocks on. That effectively makes the Thruxton 2" lower on the rear. This looks a bit more vintage to me and takes the weight off my arms from the low bars. Today I bought a Bonne stock seat because the Thruxton's is too high and rounded across the top. I want it flatter. I'll keep the stock seat and cowl as a spare and use it for when I am solo or want to be retro.
About the handling of a stock Thruxton, I found that having all the weight on the bars in the forward/low position is not working for me at all. The weight shifting and added pressure of braking into downhill turns is not conducive to safe spirited riding. I much prefer to be more upright and may in fact, retrofit the stock Bonneville, wide higher bars that I also purchased today with the seat ($40. for both off Craig'a list)
Why did I buy the Thruxton at all? Well I fell in love with the styling. So what I'll have will be a hybrid/hotrod with the great alloy wheels and a comfy fast bike. I can always return it to stock when I sell it. Here's a pic with the low shocks so far.
http://s1083.photobucket.com/albums/...S.jpg&newest=1

Last edited by Canyon Carver; 10-21-2010 at 03:09 AM.
Canyon Carver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2010, 10:22 PM   #30 (permalink)
Grand Prix 250
Main Motorcycle: 1970 Triumph T100S Tiger

When I sat on the T100 at the Toronto Bike Show I thought this felt no different than my 1970 T100, a leisurely comfy ride. However, when I sat on the Thruxton, I felt alive, the stance with the new higher bars is just right.

My only problem with the Thruxton is that due to my freakish knee geometry I can't turn my ankles inward sufficiently to reach the rear set shift and brake. The Triumph dealer said he could fix that by adding longer shift and brake pedals - which is likely cheaper than new knees.
Matthew in TO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter your valid email address, that can receive an automated confirmation message. Otherwise, you won't be able to gain full access.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.