My new toy has a small puzzle - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums
Triumph SuperSports Triumph Four-Cylinder Enthusists: TT600, Speed4, and Daytona 600/650

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
New Member
Minitwins
Main Motorcycle: Triumph Daytona 600
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: England
Posts: 12
My new toy has a small puzzle

Hello all.

I've just recently got myself a lovely Daytona 600.

I'm by no means mechanically minded, nor particularly confident: but whilst cleaning the hard to reach bits today, I noticed two rubber tubes. The first is short, and appears to dangle about an inch above the chain. The second is longer - it can reach underneath the chain guard, therefore consequently it touches the chain.

I figure this could be a scottoiler from a previous owner, as the tubing doesn't look OEM. I see the tubes going back into the bike but cannot see from where and am unsure how to remove the front seat.

I've attached some photos (hopefully) that explain better than my words..!

Advice and info would be greatly appreciated!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	56897  
BunkMuffin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 04:29 PM
Yak
Senior Member
Powerbike
 
Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Reno, Nevada
Posts: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkMuffin View Post
Hello all.

I've just recently got myself a lovely Daytona 600.

I'm by no means mechanically minded, nor particularly confident: but whilst cleaning the hard to reach bits today, I noticed two rubber tubes. The first is short, and appears to dangle about an inch above the chain. The second is longer - it can reach underneath the chain guard, therefore consequently it touches the chain.

I figure this could be a scottoiler from a previous owner, as the tubing doesn't look OEM. I see the tubes going back into the bike but cannot see from where and am unsure how to remove the front seat.

I've attached some photos (hopefully) that explain better than my words..!

Advice and info would be greatly appreciated!!
That looks like the tubes that go up to the bottom of the tank. Normally those route down between the swingarm and engine, so they don't end up getting sucked into the chain. Kinda looks too late in your situation though.

2005 Triumph Speed Four - Yellow
Yak is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
New Member
Minitwins
Main Motorcycle: Triumph Daytona 600
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: England
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yak View Post
That looks like the tubes that go up to the bottom of the tank. Normally those route down between the swingarm and engine, so they don't end up getting sucked into the chain. Kinda looks too late in your situation though.
Do you mean like an overflow?

I expected them to be of a bigger diameter. They are about 10mm.

They do look like they've both had some chain treatment...

So what are my options?
BunkMuffin is offline  
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 10:49 AM
Senior Member
Grand Prix 500
Main Motorcycle: 2001 TT600
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Broomfield, Colorado
Posts: 130
Yep, 10mm sounds about right. One of those tubes goes to the fuel tank, the other one should go to either the radiator or coolant over-flow. Regardless, they are overflow tubes and should be open like that. Your tubes don't look too damaged, I'd just say re-route them so that they come out the bottom of the lower fairing. There should be a key-latch to remove your seat, for better access.
supaevan is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 11:27 AM
D41
Senior Member
Team Owner
Main Motorcycle: Valmoto Replica
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Orange, CA
Posts: 4,146
No key latch of the D600/650.....the bolts for removing the seat are at the very back of the seat under the corners of the cushion.
The hoses should be routed a bit further forward (obviously!!)...there should be a small wire hook arrangement that's attached to the forward-most sprocket-cover bolt....you can just barely see it in this pic...


....it keeps the hoses in place, just forward of where the gear-shift shaft is.
D41 is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
New Member
Minitwins
Main Motorcycle: Triumph Daytona 600
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: England
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by D41 View Post
No key latch of the D600/650.....the bolts for removing the seat are at the very back of the seat under the corners of the cushion.
The hoses should be routed a bit further forward (obviously!!)...there should be a small wire hook arrangement that's attached to the forward-most sprocket-cover bolt....you can just barely see it in this pic...


....it keeps the hoses in place, just forward of where the gear-shift shaft is.
Thanks for (and for the posts prior to this). First Big Bike and I bl**dy love it. Have been looking for a decent one for ages.

Next is what to put on the Xmas list for new bits!!
BunkMuffin is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 08:54 AM
D41
Senior Member
Team Owner
Main Motorcycle: Valmoto Replica
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Orange, CA
Posts: 4,146
Check out SkyKing Products...they do quite a few aftermarket bits for our bikes.
D41 is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
New Member
Minitwins
Main Motorcycle: Triumph Daytona 600
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: England
Posts: 12
Thanks. I will take a look and no doubt, find plenty of things far beyond my reach...


Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
BunkMuffin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options
All posts must adhere to Forum Rules

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter your valid email address, that can receive an automated confirmation message. Otherwise, you won't be able to gain full access.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Its a small, small world. But, I wouldnt want to paint it. 73T140 Biker Hang-Out 8 04-30-2012 10:49 AM
Ring Gap Puzzle brob00 Classic, Vintage & Veteran 2 11-22-2009 07:08 PM
GPS mounts??? thinking small, small, small tank bag? mikester2008 Air Cooled Twins Talk 18 07-04-2009 08:16 PM
Top Box Puzzle bigD Tiger Chat 2 07-21-2005 05:22 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome