Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Anybody using Rotella T6

4K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  BMK9251 
#1 ·
Anybody here using Rotella T6 synthetic oil in their TBird? I see that it is JASO MA rated...

#2 · (Edited)
T6 Rotella

As long as the oil you run in any machine matches the requirements of the manufacturer it will be fine. I don't see any issues with Rotella at all in the 'Bird. Ask 100 riders and you will get 100 opinions on oil. Some forums can have oil wars with the merits of Amsoil vs Rotella vs Valvoline vs Mobil 1 all discussed for hundreds of posts.

Don't get obsessed with oil: the best advice you can find is in the owner's manual. Don't try to second-guess the factory.

And change it when your supposed to with a new filter. You might want to get a magnetic oil sump plug and make sure you have new crush washers when you put back the sump plug, assuming you change your own oil.

Torque the sump nut and oil filter to factory specs as well.

#4 ·
Good to hear! I've read thread after thread on other boards about the virtues of Rotella, including it being half the price of motorcycle branded oils. It clearly has the JASO MA rating for wet clutches. Next change I'm going to give it a try. Any feedback on how it impacts the noise levels from a TBird motor?

#5 ·
Some people think the oil plays a role in the engine noise level, I don't really think that is significant on the bird. I do think the Syn oil smoothed the trans some. From the more senior bird owners on this and other sites the bird engine quiets down with miles. I tend to subscribe to their theory more than the oil type or brand.

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

#6 ·
I use Rotella T6 in everything after I read good things about it by other motorcycle owners. Never a problem. I started out using it in a Vespa cause it called for a 5W40 synthetic oil and a lot of Vespa owners use it. It carries the JAMO MA rating which means it works for wet clutches too. There is no picture of a motorcycle on the jug though, and some people need it to say 4-stroke motorcycle oil or they won't be happy.

#9 ·
If you want some inexpensive 10w50 look here:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Castrol-06412-10W-50-4-Stroke-Motorcycle/dp/B008MISF54/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1349804831&sr=8-2&keywords=castrol+10w50[/ame]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.