Contribute
 » Photo

Motorcycle Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

The Welcome Center New to the Site? Please take a moment to introduce yourself. New members and members who have yet not posted MUST post their first post here to activate their profiles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2011, 01:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

I miss my T160!

I traded in my BMW R60/7 with Pantera Fairing and Krauser Panniers + 1000 for a Triumph Trident T160 with only 1,500 miles on the clock, from Carl Rosner - Triumph Motorcycles in South Croyden, UK.

Engine/Frame No. T160 KK 86324 - Produced Sept '75, not registered until 1976, I bought circa 1981.

One of the last British Classic 'Superbikes' - the Triumph Trident T160, 750cc 'Triple' with Discs brakes front and rear. electric start, indicators and mirrors.

With only 1.500 'genuine' miles on the clock, this was a rare find indeed. I fitted Boyer Bransden Electronic Ignition as it proved do reliable on my Norton Commando 750 and my BMW R60/7, With 3 sets of breaker points to maintain on a T160, this was a worthwhile mod.

The 'Annular Discharge' Silencer on one side was chocked solid with rust! The three exhauts joined a collector pipe, then split into 2, but in this case only could push volume of air out the one silencer. Decided to fit 'Armour' pattern Silencers in Stainless Steel with stainless down pipes and 'collector pipes'.

The other change was to fit Norman 'Hyde' - Oil Cooler Thermostat.

This was a motorcycle that was appreciating in Value. I could aslo get 'Classic Bike' special Insurance, when it became 25 Years old.

Since I was working in Hong Kong, I no longer got to ride it as much as when I was in the UK, working in London. Before that I was working in Bahrain, so only got to ride it about twice a year.

On getting my divorce in 2001, I gave it to my son, Paul. Pity he was forced to sell it to pay off his 'Student Loan' that he took out to cover his University Education in the UK.

Whilst it would have been nice to bring the T160 to the Philippines, the cost of doing so, would make it impractical with may be as much as 100% Duty [COLOR="rgb(105, 105, 105)"]as they don't relate it to the price paid, just some notional 'book value'. [/COLOR]

There is also the lack of good roads. to make full use of its speed and handling. It would have been nice status symbol value, as very few indeed like that T160. However it is not that a 'practical bike' for Cebu in the Philippines.

David Whittall,
Living in Cebu - retired from age 50!
Yamaha XT225 'Serow' now (sorry but is lot more practical than T160 here, for use on 'green lane' tracks)!

Last edited by Britster; 01-09-2011 at 10:46 PM.
Britster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2011, 02:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium
Site Supporter
Supernova
Main Motorcycle: Speed Triple

Other Motorcycle: CBR1100XX
Extra Motorcycle: Piaggio MP3
Welcome! Fascinating story. In the end, however, you are still riding. A good thing. The Yammi looks like a ball! Enjoy the site.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catenaccio View Post
Welcome! Fascinating story. In the end, however, you are still riding. A good thing. The Yammi looks like a ball! Enjoy the site.
Thanks for the reply.

I do miss my 'T160V Trident' and was the only 'classic' that I ever owned, that significantly increased in value. Having said that I did sell the Norton Jubilee we built from a box of bits, for more than we paid for it.

I also sold my Norton Commando 750 Roadster, for a bit more than I bought it for.

I did not really buy the T160 Trident as an investment, I bought it because it was a damn good motorcycle, and a bit more 'refined' than my Norton Commando with Electric Start and Disc Brakes front and back. I enjoyed riding the bike, every bit as much as the Norton Commando (but less 'maintenance' issues with the 'Trident'. as no 'Isolastic' shimming to look after etc)

In reality, what was the point of me keeping a Classic T160V, if I no longer got to ride it. My last visit to the UK was 2007!

At least the XT225 'Serrow' was brand new in 2007, for Php160,000 (about US$2860 then) (except was a 1997 model according to Yamaha Year Book) and I get to ride it up mountains and on footpaths, and through rivers and things. Could never do such 'rides' the T160, even if getting it here was practical and affordable.

May we be Healthy enough to Ride our 'Bikes', and Wealthy enough, to keep them on the Road, and Lucky enough not to have an accident.!

Want to know more about the 'Practicalities' of Motorcycling in the Philippines and the 'problems' of importing 'Big Bikes', 'Herc' did a good write up that is worth reading.

Check out Norton Commando vs Triumph T160V

Last edited by Britster; 01-09-2011 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Added URL links
Old 01-10-2011, 12:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium
Site Supporter
Supernova

I have two friends (a married couple) living in Luzon. They've been there about a year.
The pace of life threw them at first but they are enjoying life now. Thanks for the link!
Old 01-13-2011, 08:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catenaccio View Post
I have two friends (a married couple) living in Luzon. They've been there about a year.
The pace of life threw them at first but they are enjoying life now. Thanks for the link!
Well if they or any Biker, visiting Cebu, Philippines, contact me beforehand. May be we can go on a Bike Trip around Cebu somewhere together?

Now if a 2nd Hand Triumph came on the Market in the Philippines, like the classic 'Scrambler', I would consider buying one (if the price was not too bad, and I had the funds available at that time)?

Doubt if I could ever afford to buy a 'Tiger 800XC' but sure looks the business.

Now that would be a good Triumph 'Triple' as a practical replacement for my T160 'Trident', for the Philippine roads.
I might even be able to touch the ground - Seat Height: 845mm (33.2in) - 865mm (34.0in), lower than lot of 'Enduro' style motorcycles.
Just the Price will make it somewhat unrealistic however.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium
Site Supporter
Supernova

I think the Tiger 800XC appeals to most everyone. I hoped for one until the local dealership threatened to go under. It and the bike are on hold until things stabilize.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Grand Prix 250
Main Motorcycle: 2006 Sprint Caspian blue

Other Motorcycle: BSA A65L 1970
There is absolutely nothing NOTHING in the world to beat the sound of a T150 T160 or A75. Just wish I bought one instead of keeping my A65. I remember listening to the TT on the radio circa 82? When Slippery Sam went past the commentary box the commentator would hold the microphone outside so we could hear that glorious sound. Ah what memories! Ta for the photos.
John R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2012, 06:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Formula Extreme
Main Motorcycle: 2011 Tiger 800 ABS

Hey! I really REALLY miss my T160 Trident too!

I still recall the motor's serial number on mine too, know it by heart for almost 30 years since I had to sell it to fund raising a son. Let me know if any of you ever run across EK03944, I'd buy it back in a nanosecond!

I've been hooked on Triumph triples ever since.

BTW, my T160 was that same color, with the optional large tank.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Grand Prix 250
Main Motorcycle: Bonneville

Other Motorcycle: It changes all the time
I had a T160 also and do I miss it. It was my favorite Triumph
1job is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2012, 09:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
Supersport 600
Main Motorcycle: 04 Speedmaster

Other Motorcycle: 05 Tiger
Extra Motorcycle: 69 BSA R3 & 69 TR25W
My 69 A75 is in the shop as we speak, should be back up and running soon, then it will be my 73 T150's turn, then finally my T160. You're right, nothing sounds like a triple.
CanadaJack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter your valid email address, that can receive an automated confirmation message. Otherwise, you won't be able to gain full access.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.