Short Guy Likes the Rockett------- - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums
» Main Menu

Discussion Forums
 » Twins
 » Tiger
 » General
 » RAT

Features
 » Blogs

Motorcycle.com Links

Contribute
 » Photo

Motorcycle Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

The Rocket Science Forum 2300cc's of Propulsion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 08:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned
Grand Prix 125
Main Motorcycle: vespa
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 36
Short Guy Likes the Rockett-------

...Help me decide , please !
I have a 2011 Storm and have loved the bike but I miss the power of a stronger engine. Iam considering the new Rockett III Roadster vs. the new Storm. As nice as the Storm is , there are precious few engine mods. available to make it "RUN".
One major problem with the Rockett---I can't get my feet on the ground because it is too tall. My Storm has been lowered for me(with shorter shocks) but at the expense of lean angle.
Decisions ? ? ?
zippyburgertush is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-05-2012, 08:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
SuperSport
Main Motorcycle: 2012 Thunderbird
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Hyde Park, MA
Posts: 1,134
Other Motorcycle: n/a
I don't know if this will help.. but I was talking with Sean at British Customs a couple of months ago.. and he told me they were finishing up an air box removal kit that so far has proven to give upwards of 8-10 more HP.

I have a Tbird 1600.. and he told me that this kit would get me about 60-65% of what a big bore kit would get me.

If the numbers are accurate.. that's gonna be pretty sweet!


Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
joey1970 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 09:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
Formula Extreme
Main Motorcycle: 2014 Rocket III Touring
 
Rocket XIII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: 50 North and 40 West
Posts: 510
Other Motorcycle: 2007 G650 Xmoto
If you're close to being able to reach the ground on the Rocket, I think there are two possible solutions.

1. Rocket seats are quite generously foamed. Get Sargent, or Bill Mayer, or your local auto upholsterer to cut it down.

2. If you're within half an inch or so of touching down now, get some Justin (or other brand) of work boots that are made to take orthotic inserts and then have some inserts made. In addition to helping out when you want to touch down, when you get to your destination, the boots will actually be comfortable.

As you point out, when you lower a bike, you change the ground clearance, but you also change the steering geometry, which will affect handling.
Rocket XIII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 10:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
Formula Extreme
Main Motorcycle: 1999 Triumph Thunderbird
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Socorro New Mexico
Posts: 760
Other Motorcycle: 2006 Rocket III
Extra Motorcycle: 2005 H-D 1200 Custom
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyburgertush View Post
...Help me decide , please !
I have a 2011 Storm and have loved the bike but I miss the power of a stronger engine. Iam considering the new Rockett III Roadster vs. the new Storm. As nice as the Storm is , there are precious few engine mods. available to make it "RUN".
One major problem with the Rockett---I can't get my feet on the ground because it is too tall. My Storm has been lowered for me(with shorter shocks) but at the expense of lean angle.
Decisions ? ? ?
You didn't tell how tall you are?
__________________
I'd rather live one day as a Lion than 1000 years as a sheep.
Jerry
99 Triumph Thunderbird
2006 Rocket III
2005 H-D XLC 1200 Custom
jp99tbirdnm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 11:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned
Grand Prix 125
Main Motorcycle: vespa
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp99tbirdnm View Post
You didn't tell how tall you are?
.
. Iam 5'10" but I have a 27 " inseam ! Yikes !
zippyburgertush is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 11:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned
Grand Prix 125
Main Motorcycle: vespa
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket XIII View Post
If you're close to being able to reach the ground on the Rocket, I think there are two possible solutions.

1. Rocket seats are quite generously foamed. Get Sargent, or Bill Mayer, or your local auto upholsterer to cut it down.

2. If you're within half an inch or so of touching down now, get some Justin (or other brand) of work boots that are made to take orthotic inserts and then have some inserts made. In addition to helping out when you want to touch down, when you get to your destination, the boots will actually be comfortable.

As you point out, when you lower a bike, you change the ground clearance, but you also change the steering geometry, which will affect handling.
.
. Good idea and when I get to where I am going I can also enjoy being taller !
zippyburgertush is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 11:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium
Site Supporter
Moto Grand Prix
Main Motorcycle: 2010 Rocket 3 Touring
 
Tripps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: western NY
Posts: 2,508
Other Motorcycle: 01 TT600, 02 Sprintona
Extra Motorcycle: 80 BMW r65/sidecar
Sure you're not a Gorilla? They do have a pretty low center of gravity, they are pretty well balance. A few on the Rocket forum have lowered them up to an inch, I think, and don't recall any handling complaints.
__________________
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance -- it is the illusion of knowledge. - Daniel J Boorstin

Carpenter Racing 2010 Touring 241 hp, 185 ft lbs
Tripps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 11:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned
Grand Prix 125
Main Motorcycle: vespa
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripps View Post
Sure you're not a Gorilla? THEY DO HAVE A PRETTY LOW CENTER OF GRAVITY, they are pretty well balance. A few on the Rocket forum have lowered them up to an inch, I think, and don't recall any handling complaints.
.
.I have considered suing the city for building the curbs so close to my A$$
. The handling was one of my main concerns----thanks !
zippyburgertush is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 02:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
Supersport 600
Main Motorcycle: RT3
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Adelaide Aust
Posts: 160
Other Motorcycle: Thunderbird
I am 5' 8" with a 27-28 inseam , Had the same problem , I had the rocket tourer ,, not the classic but the tourer , shaving the seat will not help been there done that , its not the height of the seat its the width thats the problem I bought some progresive shocks 35 mm lower and dropped the triple tree 25mm to even it up ,, and presto different bike , i can reach the floor , , gave me a ot more confidence in the slow stuff , and regards clearance ,,, don't worry about it the rtocket has heaps to start with so your left with more than enough ,,, not only that the bike looks a lot cooler
coneye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 08:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
Formula Extreme
Main Motorcycle: 2014 Rocket III Touring
 
Rocket XIII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: 50 North and 40 West
Posts: 510
Other Motorcycle: 2007 G650 Xmoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by coneye View Post
I am 5' 8" with a 27-28 inseam , Had the same problem , I had the rocket tourer ,, not the classic but the tourer , shaving the seat will not help been there done that , its not the height of the seat its the width thats the problem I bought some progresive shocks 35 mm lower and dropped the triple tree 25mm to even it up ,, and presto different bike , i can reach the floor , , gave me a ot more confidence in the slow stuff , and regards clearance ,,, don't worry about it the rtocket has heaps to start with so your left with more than enough ,,, not only that the bike looks a lot cooler
If you're at 27", you may not be able to do the seat mods or the boot mods and get away clean.

However, shaving the seat is not just a matter of coming in with an electric knife and topping it off. You need to contour it at the front so that you can drop down when its time to stop. Sargent, Corbin, Mayer, and Russell (famous US seat builders / rebuilders) know this and can implement it well for many riders. Maybe there is an equivalent company in Oz. If not, maybe it would be a good start up company in Oz.
Rocket XIII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter your valid email address, that can receive an automated confirmation message. Otherwise, you won't be able to gain full access.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Am I the only one who likes this ? guswalken Sprint Forum 38 02-28-2011 12:06 AM
Rikki Rockett in Iron Horse Magazine ultragoat Club Cafe' 11 12-02-2007 01:25 AM
2 speed rockett III droopidraws The Rocket Science Forum 6 11-02-2007 10:10 AM
Ride to Rockett TX Multibob The Rocket Science Forum 16 04-07-2006 04:49 AM
She still likes me! legend Hinckley Classic Triples 4 12-28-2005 08:48 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:29 PM.



Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum

Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0