Power Differences Tourer/Roadster - Page 4 - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums
The Rocket Science Forum 2300cc's of Propulsion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 12:19 PM
Senior Member
Formula Extreme
Main Motorcycle: 2012 T100
 
norton74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Stockbridge, MI
Posts: 845
Other Motorcycle: 2013 Rocket 3 Touring
Extra Motorcycle: '73 Ducati GT750
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket XIII View Post
The other cruisers I have ridden have all felt short of power, but I do not have this sensation with the R3T.

At lower rpms, no one else has the power of the R3 because no one else has their torque at those low rpms.

(Power in Horsepower) = (Torque in foot pounds)(engine speed in rpm)/5250.

If you've got 150 ft pounds of torque at 2000 rpm and another guy's got 100, guess which one will pull away faster if both are at that speed?

Obviously the key is matching the transmission to the road load and the engine. They've done an exceptional job with this on the R3T.

That 105 hp power spec is meaningless in the engine operating range that the transmission puts you for road situations.
Thanks for the feedback. I am seriously considering a new R3T. Not sure if I want to buy it now or wait until spring. If I buy it now, I won't get to ride it much until spring. If I wait until spring, the dealer may not have one available. Decisions, decisions...
norton74 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 02:42 PM
Senior Member
SuperStock
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket XIII View Post
Obviously the latest responses have nothing to do with the OP.

Are you new to the internet so that you don't understand how this stuff goes?

On the bright side, I don't think there have been any ad hominem attacks in this thread yet.

So ... should we stay focused, or is your goal to take us in a third direction?

Actually I was hoping to keep it on track and avoid the ad hominem attacks. Bringing Harleys into it and a comment that an RIIIt has more power than any stock Harley is an invitation to go that direction. I mean duh, most anybody should know that a stockRIIIT has more power than a stock Harley. Why even go there?
The fact that i've done a lot of interneting is why I know it is either a troll comment of just a silly comment.

'10 Tiger 1050se
'11 650 VStrom '09 XR1200
'01 FXD, '09 400 Burgman, '79 BMW R100
Joe S. is offline  
post #33 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
SuperSport
Main Motorcycle: Trophy 1200
 
Jamo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Twin (frozen) Lakes, WI
Posts: 1,079
Other Motorcycle: FXDWG
Extra Motorcycle: GS1100E; T-140D Special
My experience is that torque overcomes inertia and horsepower pushes the air out of the way. Unless one is traveling above, say, 115mph, when the air resistance starts to build up, about 85hp is more than enough for spirited, real world, non-race track riding.

So, I would probably answer my own question with the thought that the RIIIT is well set up, and gets better mileage, even though the Roadster has the higher spec engine. But I was really wondering if anyone had actual experience with the two different rides so as to say that one or the other has something you wouldn't want to miss.

Turn on, Tune in and Ride off
Jamo is offline  
post #34 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 06:44 PM
Senior Member
World SuperBike
Main Motorcycle: 2007 Triumph Rocket
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 2,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
My experience is that torque overcomes inertia and horsepower pushes the air out of the way. Unless one is traveling above, say, 115mph, when the air resistance starts to build up, about 85hp is more than enough for spirited, real world, non-race track riding.

So, I would probably answer my own question with the thought that the RIIIT is well set up, and gets better mileage, even though the Roadster has the higher spec engine. But I was really wondering if anyone had actual experience with the two different rides so as to say that one or the other has something you wouldn't want to miss.
As note, the only difference in power comes from how the tunes close the secondaries, assuming they have the same exhaust, cat, intake filters. I had my 2005 R3 up to 130 with corrected speedo with windshield and bags. Once. Not practical for in traffic.

On the other hand, the touring has a 180 rear tire. I've never driven one but I can't see how it doesn't give a better all around ride than the 240 rear.
dougl is offline  
post #35 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 10:38 AM
Lifetime Premium
Site Supporter
Moto Grand Prix
Main Motorcycle: 2010 Rocket 3 Touring
 
Tripps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: western NY
Posts: 2,891
Other Motorcycle: 01 TT600, 02 Sprintona
Extra Motorcycle: 80 BMW r65/sidecar
I have a 2010 R3T, stock, it goes like a raped ape. Adding Jardines, triple K&N air filters and retune with TuneECU, it goes like a raped ape with it's ass on fire. Picture an 870 lb bagger that will pick up the front tire. Jardines are quite loud, though, fair warning. Can be unstable over 130 mph, I get an odd, slow weave. Thinking of going with the Carpenter package next.

I haven't dynoed it yet, but tune is supposed to be a 150 hp, 150 ft/lb tune.

The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance -- it is the illusion of knowledge. - Daniel J Boorstin

Carpenter Racing 2010 Touring 241 hp, 185 ft lbs
Tripps is offline  
post #36 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 10:42 AM
Senior Member
Grand Prix 500
Main Motorcycle: Triumph Thunderbird
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 114
Other Motorcycle: HD Sporty for the wife.
Azure Blue

I too went on the "My Triumph" section of their site and there is an Azure Blue two tone that looks dynamite. Hope I can see it in person soon.

Georgie
georgied is offline  
post #37 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 11:49 AM
Senior Member
World SuperBike
Main Motorcycle: 2007 Triumph Rocket
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 2,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripps View Post
I have a 2010 R3T, stock, it goes like a raped ape. Adding Jardines, triple K&N air filters and retune with TuneECU, it goes like a raped ape with it's ass on fire. Picture an 870 lb bagger that will pick up the front tire. Jardines are quite loud, though, fair warning. Can be unstable over 130 mph, I get an odd, slow weave. Thinking of going with the Carpenter package next.

I haven't dynoed it yet, but tune is supposed to be a 150 hp, 150 ft/lb tune.
So you had it dyno tuned with TuneECU? There's no one in my town who works with this. My Triumph dealer is a Dynojet tuner, mainly for HD's. He dynoed my Rocket at 140/150 with just TOR's/cat bypass. I met a guy at the dealer's with an R3T with Jardines and triple filters at the dealers. He had a PCIII with a custom tune and got 157/150. If I had been interested enough, I would have used Tuneboy to open the secondaries and had it tuned with a PCIII.. But I wasn't. Now I have a T-Bird.
dougl is offline  
post #38 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 12:40 PM
Senior Member
Formula Extreme
Main Motorcycle: 2012 T100
 
norton74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Stockbridge, MI
Posts: 845
Other Motorcycle: 2013 Rocket 3 Touring
Extra Motorcycle: '73 Ducati GT750
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougl View Post
Now I have a T-Bird.
Why did you buy the T-Bird instead of replacing your Rocket with another Rocket?
norton74 is offline  
post #39 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 01:04 PM
Senior Member
World SuperBike
Main Motorcycle: 2007 Triumph Rocket
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 2,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by norton74 View Post
Why did you buy the T-Bird instead of replacing your Rocket with another Rocket?
I had the Rocket for 8 years and had gotten everything I was going to get out of it. It was getting a bit heavy for me, lugging it in and out of the garage. I thought (temporary insanity) I was going to retire from motorcycling after 43 years. So I sold it, kind of impetuously. After about a month, I started getting antsy. I test drove a 103 Dyna, a 106 Victory, and a 1600 T-Bird. Aside from the power, the T-Bird is a better bike than the Rocket. It handles better and has much better brakes. Also, I don't like the mid controls on the Roadster. In any case, because of the power, I still think the R3 with ABS is the most amazing bike out there.

PS - I just broke my foot, after putting in big bucks to convert the T-Bird to a 1700, and it's questionable whether I can continue to have such a heavy bike. I may just have to get a lighter bike like a Bonnie. Full circle.
dougl is offline  
post #40 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 01:55 PM
Senior Member
Formula Extreme
Main Motorcycle: 2012 T100
 
norton74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Stockbridge, MI
Posts: 845
Other Motorcycle: 2013 Rocket 3 Touring
Extra Motorcycle: '73 Ducati GT750
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougl View Post
I had the Rocket for 8 years and had gotten everything I was going to get out of it. It was getting a bit heavy for me, lugging it in and out of the garage. I thought (temporary insanity) I was going to retire from motorcycling after 43 years. So I sold it, kind of impetuously. After about a month, I started getting antsy. I test drove a 103 Dyna, a 106 Victory, and a 1600 T-Bird. Aside from the power, the T-Bird is a better bike than the Rocket. It handles better and has much better brakes. Also, I don't like the mid controls on the Roadster. In any case, because of the power, I still think the R3 with ABS is the most amazing bike out there.

PS - I just broke my foot, after putting in big bucks to convert the T-Bird to a 1700, and it's questionable whether I can continue to have such a heavy bike. I may just have to get a lighter bike like a Bonnie. Full circle.
Sorry about your foot. Give it time to heal before you decide to give up your TB. But, if you you sell your TB, the Bonnie is a very nice ride. I really enjoy mine.
norton74 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter your valid email address, that can receive an automated confirmation message. Otherwise, you won't be able to gain full access.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Make my SPORT-tourer into a sport-TOURER? Trophy 22 11-02-2009 06:52 AM
power/torque differences: Daytona vs. Street ttraynor Street Triple Forum 10 09-22-2007 11:57 AM
Make my SPORT-tourer into a sport-TOURER? Sprint Forum 8 08-26-2004 12:41 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome