On the 3 November 2002 my sprint hit the road, I got a good winter discount after a test ride. The first month or so a strange whistle was coming from the bike. At the 500mile service I asked the dealers to investigate, on collection they said nothing was wrong, but it still had the strange whistle. Eventually I found the gasket for the stepper motor was wrapped over the top of it not round it making a nice reed whistle.
I used a different dealer for the next service. Over the next few months various nut and bolts fell off, nuts from exhaust headers, nuts and bolts fell out of the main stand mounting plus several screws feel out of the fairing. I got fed up with this and checked as many nuts and bolts as I could find tightening up several other lose ones. It must have got a Friday afternoon special.
My first mod was the fuel pressure increase after reading about on this forum its well worth doing for more mid range pull.
The next few years was just riding and general servicing with no problems, apart from having to replace the needle roller bearings in the suspension linkage during a service/regrease of the rear end.
Also fitted a gel seat and dumped the original Bridgestones tyres for Avon Azaro‘s they were much better than the Bridgestones and fitted a Hagon rear shock.
About 3 years ago I switched to 6 pot brakes up front from a Kawasaki. Better than the original brakes which were starting to stick giving to much front brake lever travel. Then about a year or so ago I switched back to the original four pots, but with the 675 Daytona seals and pistons giving a much better feel and braking all round.
I have also fitted a fairly small double bubble screen which has moved the air from chest neck area to my shoulders much preferred as it has stopped a whistle I had round my helmet.
After coming back from Spain in June this year, I felt like changing a few things.
First change Michelin Pilot Road 3 tyres, I thought the Avon’s where good but these PR
’3have moved things on they feel so planted (They however did feel very strange for the first 50 miles or so).
I had also read the thread on USD Suzuki Fork Conversion several times and fancied giving it a go. Found a very clean set of USD Hayabusa Forks triple tree etc for a good price. Fitting was fairly easy after reading all the info on the forum. Very pleased with the resulting front wheel movement, travel is much improved, the ability to adjust the damping to bring a balance in compression and rebound damping is a joy after all the years of jerky front forks. Steering is a little slower but braking and control though corners are very positive. The only down side to the change is reduced steering lock but this only affects you when parking or moving in a tight space etc, riding on the road is no problem.
I had fitted the higher bars from the later sprints about the same time as the Daytona brake setup never did get on with the higher setup to well. Now with the Hayabusa forks with Helibars fitted my hands are about the same level you get with RS bars I much prefer this height makes turning into a corner very easy. Another plus is even quieter wind noise.
Last Mod has been a Trident Stubby Exhaust. This has led me to learn about Tune ECU to load different tunes etc, again an easy job with all the info from the forums.
I think my Sprint now looks better, and now runs much better than it did with the standard can. I have keep the baffle in for the moment don’t what to upset the neighbours.
The bike has only done just over 35K miles most of which have been covered riding in Europe not the UK, but it did sit for 2 years will hardly any use due to work commitments. With the way it now brakes better, steers better and definitely goes better than it did 10 years ago I think I will be keeping it for some time to come. And it never needs oil between changes which I do every 5000 miles. My only worry it’s a 2002 and some of those 2002’s have snapped a crank would not want that to happen.