What did you do to your Sprint today? - Page 148 - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums
Sprint Forum Sprint ST - Sprint RS - Sprint GT Join in on one of the world's most active Triumph Sport-Touring Forums.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1471 of 2998 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 03:56 AM
Senior Member
Formula Extreme
Main Motorcycle: 2004 Daytona 955i
 
DaveGPz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 693
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Sprint View Post
Love the 18t over the OEM 19!!
Doesn't it make a difference!

"I just want to ride" Joe Satriani, Flying in a Blue Dream, 1989
DaveGPz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1472 of 2998 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 05:19 AM
Lifetime Premium
Site Supporter
Supernova
Main Motorcycle: 2011 Sprint GT 1050
 
DaveM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Brisbane Australia
Posts: 22,721
Other Motorcycle: 2004 Daytona 955
Extra Motorcycle: Previously - Many
As Dolson used to say "the best bang for your buck"
DaveM is offline  
post #1473 of 2998 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 07:56 AM
Senior Member
SuperSport
Main Motorcycle: '08 Sprint
 
elevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: yoo ess of eh
Posts: 1,050
...and if you have a GT 6th gear, there is zero compromise either. It almost makes me wish I had an oil leak or similar to give me a reason to dig into the tranny.
elevens is offline  
post #1474 of 2998 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 02:59 PM
Senior Member
SuperSport
Main Motorcycle: '08 Sprint ST
 
sussurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,012
Other Motorcycle: '06 Daytona 955i
Extra Motorcycle: Husqvarna Terra 650
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to sussurf
Quote:
Originally Posted by elevens View Post
...and if you have a GT 6th gear, there is zero compromise either. It almost makes me wish I had an oil leak or similar to give me a reason to dig into the tranny.

I think I fell into the category "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". But I have peace of mind I now know what's in there and the taller 6th gear is an improvement. I haven't felt the need to change the front sprocket though. The bike feels like it would flip in first if you're not careful and easily lofts the front in second and probably even in 3rd if you wanted to. It's all the torque. But I'm more a touring guy so the 19 works fine for me. I'm also a bit of a lightweight so take-offs are no problem.
So Bill, do it!

cheers,

Phil
sussurf is offline  
post #1475 of 2998 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 03:25 PM
Senior Member
SuperSport
Main Motorcycle: '08 Sprint
 
elevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: yoo ess of eh
Posts: 1,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by sussurf View Post

I think I fell into the category "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". But I have peace of mind I now know what's in there and the taller 6th gear is an improvement. I haven't felt the need to change the front sprocket though. The bike feels like it would flip in first if you're not careful and easily lofts the front in second and probably even in 3rd if you wanted to. It's all the torque. But I'm more a touring guy so the 19 works fine for me. I'm also a bit of a lightweight so take-offs are no problem.
So Bill, do it!
The couple hundred lower rpm on the highway of the stock 19/42 gearing would be nice for sure. I mostly fix stuff that ain't broke though
elevens is offline  
post #1476 of 2998 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 04:08 PM
Senior Member
SuperSport
Main Motorcycle: '08 Sprint ST
 
sussurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,012
Other Motorcycle: '06 Daytona 955i
Extra Motorcycle: Husqvarna Terra 650
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to sussurf
Quote:
Originally Posted by elevens View Post
The couple hundred lower rpm on the highway of the stock 19/42 gearing would be nice for sure. I mostly fix stuff that ain't broke though
As DaveGPz says "guitly as charged your honour"

cheers,

Phil
sussurf is offline  
post #1477 of 2998 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 08:29 AM
Senior Member
SuperSport
Main Motorcycle: '08 Sprint
 
elevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: yoo ess of eh
Posts: 1,050
According to GearingCommander.com, my current gearing is 10mph slower top speed than if it had a GT 6th gear. Some mornings, that's all that's needed to make it to work on-time
elevens is offline  
post #1478 of 2998 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 08:03 PM
Senior Member
Formula Extreme
Main Motorcycle: Triumph Street Triple R
 
Allworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Boston
Posts: 628
Other Motorcycle: 2006 Sprint ST 1050
Well I finally took my Sprint into the shop for some long needed service and repair. Since mid September, I needed to get the regulator replaced, valves adjusted, plugs, air filter, new chain and sprockets, and a few little things. I am also having heated grips installed. My Sprint should be ready to ride on Friday, just in time for a day ride out into RI, CT and parts of western MA on Saturday with the crew.

You can't have mountains without valleys.
2009 Triumph Street Triple R 35,700 miles
2006 Triumph Sprint St. 64,000 miles
Allworld is offline  
post #1479 of 2998 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 12:22 AM
Senior Member
SuperStock
Main Motorcycle: 2011 Sprint GT
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Palmerston North, New Zealand
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allworld View Post
Well I finally took my Sprint into the shop for some long needed service and repair. Since mid September, I needed to get the regulator replaced, valves adjusted, plugs, air filter, new chain and sprockets, and a few little things. I am also having heated grips installed. My Sprint should be ready to ride on Friday, just in time for a day ride out into RI, CT and parts of western MA on Saturday with the crew.
Phew...big bucks job?
Trade_nancy is offline  
post #1480 of 2998 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 01:38 AM
Lifetime Premium
Site Supporter
Supernova
Main Motorcycle: 2011 Sprint GT 1050
 
DaveM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Brisbane Australia
Posts: 22,721
Other Motorcycle: 2004 Daytona 955
Extra Motorcycle: Previously - Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by elevens View Post
According to GearingCommander.com, my current gearing is 10mph slower top speed than if it had a GT 6th gear. Some mornings, that's all that's needed to make it to work on-time
Hi elevens I uploaded the GT specs for gearingcommander.com but ratios do not necessarily equate to a higher top speed do they?

Cheers
DaveM
DaveM is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter your valid email address, that can receive an automated confirmation message. Otherwise, you won't be able to gain full access.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Might by a 08 sprint today adam79 Sprint Forum 26 07-01-2010 08:12 AM
What I did to my Sprint today.... KitNYC Sprint Forum 15 09-03-2009 07:30 AM
Picking up a new '06 Sprint ST today... adg44 Sprint Forum 20 04-28-2008 04:50 PM
Sprint ST 05 died today Smudger075 Sprint Forum 28 07-09-2005 02:33 AM
Got my Sprint ST today Shaman Sprint Forum 4 03-25-2005 08:13 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome