Rides less than an hour from the city - Page 2 - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums
» Main Menu

Discussion Forums
 » Twins
 » Tiger
 » General
 » RAT

Features
 » Blogs

Motorcycle.com Links

Contribute
 » Photo

Motorcycle Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Riders Group - NYC Area General information & liaison forum - NYC riders.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 07:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
SuperSport
Main Motorcycle: mildly caff'd 2009 T-100
 
boudiepitbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,084
Other Motorcycle: 2012 Thruxton
Extra Motorcycle: 2010 T-100 w/Cosy sidecar
^^^an excellent little local guide to the area you created there BlackTigNYC!

I also love Gate Hill Road off the Palisades Pkwy into Harriman (turn right off the exit ramp...Exit 15 I think). After you've played in Harriman for a while go all the way down 7 Lakes Drive to the circle and take Long Mountain Road to 293 thru West Point's old artillery ranges, cross 9W and take 218 along the cliffs and the Hudson River into Cornwall-on-Hudson. Turn left at New York Military Academy and you'll go into downtown Cornwall and find an awesome pizza restaurant. Cross the Bear Mountain Bridge on the way home and take Rt. 6 to 9/9A to 100 to home on the Taconic or Saw Mill. In Harriman be sure to do Arden Valley Road. It dumps you on 17 but you can always turn around and do it again from the other direction!!!
__________________
The "Earth" without "art" is just... "Eh"

Last edited by boudiepitbull; 04-17-2012 at 07:07 PM.
boudiepitbull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-17-2012, 09:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
New Member
Minitwins
Main Motorcycle: Triumph Thruxton
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Hudson Valley, New York State
Posts: 11
Very nice route! Passes right through my hometown up by West Point. For a breather, there's a small coffee shop under Rockwell Cycles (Triumph, Ducati, Bimota dealer) on 9W in Fort Montgomery about a mile North of the Bear Mountain Bridge. 2 Alices Coffee Lounge in Cornwall-on-Hudson on 218 is my favourite Espresso shop in the area, friendly folks and they have pastries as well as sandwiches. I haven't been up to the Motorcycle museum yet, but will soon.
Arden Valley Road (as mentioned earlier) in Harriman SP is a good ride too, but seems to have suffered damage during TS Irene. Watch for gravel in the road on the turns and some good sized potholes along the centre-line of the road. You will pop out on Route 17, which becomes Route 32 in the Monroe/Harriman area. If you travel along route 32 north of the Woodbury Commons outlets, you will find the Black Forest Inn and some pretty authentic German food! Further north on 32 in Newburgh is the Motorcycle museum, so it's a good route with nice scenery, open stretches and some worthwhile break stops.

I think within the month, I will tackle the Hawks Nest along Route 97 from Port Jervis to Hancock. I live near 9W in Orange county, but if there are any takers for the trip. let's meet up and check it out.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTigNYC View Post
I'm going to outline the basic 9W route because I realized that ello ello just moved here and might not even know to do this.


One of the most common classic routes out of the city is palisades to 9W. I usually get off the palisades at exit 2. A great desination for this ride is the motorcyclepedia museum in newburgh. Storm king highway is on the way (the exit is roughly 6-7 miles after the bear mountain traffic circle) There are some nice meetup/ lunch spots along the way too. A fantastic new place that I recently discovered is at 243 9W, just south of piermont. It's called "The Market." It opens at 6:30am daily and has great gourmet food and coffee. There is a grill right next to it called "the filling station" and they have fantastic burgers, fries and beer. the grill doesn't open until lunch time. Here are some shots.










Just north of this, a short way up 9W you will find Piermont, NY. This is a charming little town on the hudson with a few restaurants and a coffee shop called Bunbury's. The place is popular with bicyclists because of the nearby routes.


Bunbury



Finally, up north towards the end of the route (just after storm king highway) is a town called Cornwall on Hudson. There is a nice coffee lounge called 2 Alices Coffee located at 311 hudson st..

2 Alices Coffee Lounge



Motorcyclepedia is at the end of this route (which I have outlined on google maps below). This is probably the most impressive motorcycle museum in the northeast. I've been there twice and was stunned and the size of the collection. Definitely worth a visit.

To get back to the city you can either cross the Hudson using the newburgh-beacon bridge and ride down 9D (which will bring you past Cold spring which I mentioned in an earlier post), or just retrace your steps.

Overall, you could probably find a worse way to spend a weekend afternoon.


http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Ne...2,3,4,5,6&z=12
Stef G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 09:05 PM   #13 (permalink)
Forum Liaison
Site Supporter
SuperBike
Main Motorcycle: XT1200Z
 
BlackTigNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: new york city
Posts: 1,539
Other Motorcycle: Duc?
Quote:
Originally Posted by boudiepitbull View Post
^^^an excellent little local guide to the area you created there BlackTigNYC!

I also love Gate Hill Road off the Palisades Pkwy into Harriman (turn right off the exit ramp...Exit 15 I think). After you've played in Harriman for a while go all the way down 7 Lakes Drive to the circle and take Long Mountain Road to 293 thru West Point's old artillery ranges, cross 9W and take 218 along the cliffs and the Hudson River into Cornwall-on-Hudson. Turn left at New York Military Academy and you'll go into downtown Cornwall and find an awesome pizza restaurant. Cross the Bear Mountain Bridge on the way home and take Rt. 6 to 9/9A to 100 to home on the Taconic or Saw Mill. In Harriman be sure to do Arden Valley Road. It dumps you on 17 but you can always turn around and do it again from the other direction!!!
Yes, seven lakes drive and arden valley road are fantastic twisty offshoots. I think it's becoming clear to ello ello that there is actually some great riding very close to the city
BlackTigNYC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 09:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
Forum Liaison
Site Supporter
SuperBike
Main Motorcycle: XT1200Z
 
BlackTigNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: new york city
Posts: 1,539
Other Motorcycle: Duc?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef G View Post
Very nice route! Passes right through my hometown up by West Point. For a breather, there's a small coffee shop under Rockwell Cycles (Triumph, Ducati, Bimota dealer) on 9W in Fort Montgomery about a mile North of the Bear Mountain Bridge. 2 Alices Coffee Lounge in Cornwall-on-Hudson on 218 is my favourite Espresso shop in the area, friendly folks and they have pastries as well as sandwiches. I haven't been up to the Motorcycle museum yet, but will soon.
Arden Valley Road (as mentioned earlier) in Harriman SP is a good ride too, but seems to have suffered damage during TS Irene. Watch for gravel in the road on the turns and some good sized potholes along the centre-line of the road. You will pop out on Route 17, which becomes Route 32 in the Monroe/Harriman area. If you travel along route 32 north of the Woodbury Commons outlets, you will find the Black Forest Inn and some pretty authentic German food! Further north on 32 in Newburgh is the Motorcycle museum, so it's a good route with nice scenery, open stretches and some worthwhile break stops.

I think within the month, I will tackle the Hawks Nest along Route 97 from Port Jervis to Hancock. I live near 9W in Orange county, but if there are any takers for the trip. let's meet up and check it out.

great suggestions. Funny that you mention the black forest Inn. Last year i met up with some friends there before a long weekend ride down route 6 in Pennsylvania which is a whole other story. But I've never eaten there. I love good German food though, so I may try it out soon.

I would definitely be interested in doing hawk's nest with you, let me know when you are going to do that
BlackTigNYC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 09:16 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
Powerbike
Main Motorcycle: 2007 Daytona 675
 
divino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: NY,NY
Posts: 307
i can't wait for the next nice weekend.

will plan to get to those routes.. i love gun hill to 7 lakes
__________________
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles."~ Hunter S. Thompson
divino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 10:00 PM   #16 (permalink)
New Member
Minitwins
Main Motorcycle: Triumph Thruxton
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Hudson Valley, New York State
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTigNYC View Post
great suggestions. Funny that you mention the black forest Inn. Last year i met up with some friends there before a long weekend ride down route 6 in Pennsylvania which is a whole other story. But I've never eaten there. I love good German food though, so I may try it out soon.

I would definitely be interested in doing hawk's nest with you, let me know when you are going to do that
I just called up the Black Forest Inn to confirm their hours on weekends. They open at noon on Saturday and Sunday, and serve from the dinner menu (which is great in my humble opinion and has items like Bratwurst and Weisswurst that make a fine lunch). They have German beers on tap and by the bottle. They did warn me that reservations for groups larger than 3 people is advised on weekends (but I've never needed reservations so I take that with a grain of salt).
I'm glad you want to come on the Hawk's Nest trip! Let's look for a Saturday soon. My Bike is in the shop for its 500 mile service this week so I should be fully ready for a good long ride to get it nicely broken in. I'll keep in touch.
Stef G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 10:46 AM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member
SuperStock
Main Motorcycle: 2010 Triumph Speed Triple
 
nycebo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 292
Extra Motorcycle: 1998 BMW R1200C
Hawk's Nest? In.
nycebo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 10:47 AM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Member
Powerbike
Main Motorcycle: 2007 Daytona 675
 
divino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: NY,NY
Posts: 307
can i come?
__________________
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles."~ Hunter S. Thompson
divino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2012, 12:30 PM   #19 (permalink)
New Member
Minitwins
Main Motorcycle: Triumph Thruxton
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Hudson Valley, New York State
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by divino View Post
can i come?
Sure! Open to all. Just have to get a good weekend. This one looks to be rained out.
Stef G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2012, 06:34 PM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Member
Pole Position
Main Motorcycle: 2009 Victory Vision
 
Silverado57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: New Jersey USA
Posts: 3,827
Other Motorcycle: 2008 Victory Vision
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycebo View Post
Hawk's Nest? In.
FYI, they're doing road work on Hawk's Nest and it's down to a single lane with a temporary traffic light at each end.

Bummer.
__________________
Kevin
Luceo Non Uro
NJ USA
Silverado57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter your valid email address, that can receive an automated confirmation message. Otherwise, you won't be able to gain full access.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Demo rides at Triumph City (Milwaukee) this weekend! d0nut Triumph, Models & Dealers 0 05-04-2011 11:28 AM
What are you doing right now, give or take, say, an hour? Irishguy Biker Hang-Out 695 07-25-2010 11:07 PM
Spent the last hour looking... Need HELP! PROMOD1385 Speed Triple Forum 1 08-06-2008 03:28 AM
$$ Per Hour? Cynr1023 Biker Hang-Out 10 09-12-2007 04:01 PM
Fun and games for an hour Speed Triple Forum 9 06-18-2004 08:47 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:45 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Forum Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum Ninja H2 Forum Ducati Scrambler Forum Kawasaki Ninja 250SL Forum

Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.