Head is on!
Today, went to see Steve at M&S and picked up a couple of PRT seal cups.
The cups measure 0.015" thick so when added to the crush measured without them, which was 0.025", that brings the total crush up to 0.040" which is at the top of the spec. Very pleased with the outcome, although it was more of a challenge getting here than I had anticipated. Most of the delay was driven by somebody using later model parts as mentioned previously.
With the head on, I installed the new socket head valve lash adjustors with the original nuts.
Then decided to take a break from assembly and spruce up the rockerbox inspection caps. They were a bit beat up so I pushed the displaced metal back where it belonged along the slots with a small hammer, then made a HDPE collar so I could hold the covers in my lathe by the treads and went to work on them. First was a quick smoothing with 220 grit paper and then bead blasted them for a nice uniform finish. Then back in the lathe and started polishing with various grades of sand paper, ending in Emery paper. Hit them with a little Mother's alum polish and a paper towel while still in the lathe and then finished them off on the buffing wheel. The slots are still far from perfect, but with the high polish, it is not that noticeable.
I had ordered new Inspection cap Locking Springs, but did not like how they fit. Hole was closer to the rear edge than OEM. But then I compared them and could see that the OEM would stack nicely on top of the new ones and provide twice as much locking force. So I installed a stacked pair for each inspection cover.
The top two rockerbox bolt are now grade 5, 1/4"-28 SAE bolts since I had to helicoil the head. Original bolts were a special bolt with a smaller size hex that is twice as tall. I may eventually make a set of bolts to emulate the OEM bolts. But for now, bolts from my stock will suffice. I machined 4 each 1/4" washers from standard washers and zinc plated them to match the boss diameter on the rockerbox, provide full contact and no chance of digging into and dishing the aluminum bolt face on the rockerboxes.
Here are pics of the finished work.
Double lock springs on the rockerbox Inspection Caps. Fiber washers compliments of the local hardware store.
1/4"-28 Grade 5 bolts and reduced OD washers for the rockerboxes.
Here's the engine in the frame. Yeah, I know, lots of engine pictures. It's just that it looks so GOOOOOOOOOOOOD back together and in the frame.