Main Motorcycle: 04 Thruxton
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: North GA Mountains
Other Motorcycle: 05 Tiger
Davida Helmet Review
I just picked up a used Davida Classic Jet Helmet size large, and goggles. My head measures 58-1/2 to 59mm so Iím typically in a large, or XL helmet. Now this is the first time Iíve had an open faced lid on my noggin since I was a kid playing with go-karts so weíll say a good 25+ yearsÖ All of my other helmets for cars, boats, jet skiís, etc have all been full face, so I was a little apprehensive about trying an open face helmet, but since itís hotter than the pit of Hades I figured Iíd give it a shot for some local rides and what not.
So here are my thoughts:
- Cost. I bought her used, and the price was right about the same as buying a new cheaper brand helmet.
- Flat out LOVE riding with the open dome lid on.
- The Goggles are just flat out the BOMB for riding at night.
- Tight but firm fit, once I learned how to actually wear it.
- I am flat out shocked at how quiet this helmet is when Iím riding.
- A tad tight on the top/front of my noggin, but once I realized if I put that portion of the helmet on my head first and then rotate it onto my head the feel fits well.
- The leather liner doesnít breathe real well. While the open face gives you more air flow for the front, itís mucho less on top. I was riding down the road and felt sprinkles on my face; I thought it was the car in front of me washing their windshield that is until I pulled the helmet off realizing the top of my head was covered in sweat. Iím going to try a dew rag to see how that goes.
- She lifts up a littleÖ Not much more than an 1/8 of an inch (about the same as some of my open helmets) although it feels like more, but once I got used to it there was no real issues.
- The strap doesnít have the little snap like my new helmets so the loose strap rattles around my neck, Iíll sew on some Velcro and it should be good to go.
Overall Iím very happy with the helmet, and while I wonít be trading it in for my full face version anytime soon I will be wearing it for local rides, and some of our bike nights. Not when Iím trying to push a little up in the mountains.