What to look for when buying (98 t595) - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums
» Main Menu

Discussion Forums
 » Twins
 » Tiger
 » General
 » RAT

Features
 » Blogs

Motorcycle.com Links

Contribute
 » Photo

Motorcycle Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Daytona Deliberations For owners and riders of Daytona 900, 955, 1000 & 1200

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2012, 12:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Powerbike
Main Motorcycle: 98 T595

What to look for when buying (98 t595)

First off... What a misleading model designation lol.

I may be looking at a 98 t595 as a trade for my 600cc sport bike...

I'm utterly unfamiliar with these Daytonas having only seen new Triumphs at the dealer or a few Daytona 675's at the track.

What should I be looking for as model specific issues?

Also... How much of the S3 can be bolted on? Thats what'd I'd rather have
Ahks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2012, 02:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Site Supporter
Nova
Main Motorcycle: Custom 955 Speed-Tona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahks View Post
..... What should I be looking for as model specific issues... How much of the S3 can be bolted on? Thats what'd I'd rather have
Look at typical cycle stuff that go for any used bike: tires, brakes, wheel bearings, suspension seals etc;
Motor itself pretty reliable
Some minor electrical issues that are inexpensively resolved (search on ground block)

To latter part of question pretty much all s3 parts bolt on directly - I think only part that won't are turn signals mount on radiator
DEcosse is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2012, 08:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium
Site Supporter
Pole Position
Main Motorcycle: 1998 T595

Ahks, There have been many Daytona to Speed Triple conversions so there's many that can help. You can also sell the un needed Daytona body parts to offset the conversion cost somewhat.

There was only one problem associated with a fairly small percentage of '97 and early '98 Daytonas and that was a failed fourth gear. Primarily it failed pretty early at low mileage and a redesigned gearset came online at engine number 57946. Engine numbers are usually a little higher than the VIN sequence (LHS of headtube) so it's an easy verification. The ground block can be replaced, if needed, inexpensively.

At this point there are more issues related to age than specific model issues, primarily with rubber hoses in the gas tank and the rubber vacuum lines. Otherwise it's just basic used vehicle items.

Brad

Last edited by bradtx; 10-26-2012 at 08:06 AM.
bradtx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2012, 09:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Powerbike

Exactly what I was looking for guys. Thanks.

Weathers turned crap here already so not sure when I'll get a chance to look at it.

Not sure if it's worth trading to an older bike with more miles on the clock from a bike that has proven to be utterly bullet proof... but that gen of daytona/s3 has almost everything that I find attractive in a bike
Old 10-26-2012, 12:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Site Supporter
Nova

If you really want a 'naked' Speed Triple, why not hold out for one rather than convert a Daytona?
(although the performance is higher)
Used OEM S3 parts (like the headlights and top triple clamp) are not that readily available on EBay and new is expensive.
Just a caution
Old 10-26-2012, 01:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Powerbike

1. Availability. I see so few bikes that match my wants in the Detroit area that I'd be willing to make a concession.

2. I like projects. And probably wouldn't do a vanilla s3 conversion

But I have yet to see this thing with my eyes and talk to the owner face to face. Bikes are purely recreation for me and are thus almost purely an emotional thing rather than logical

Sent from my MB860 using Motorcycle.com Free App

http://www.customfighters.com/forums...0&goto=newpost
Old 10-26-2012, 02:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Site Supporter
Nova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahks View Post
.... I see so few bikes that match my wants in the Detroit area ...
Go Giants!!!!

I see what you mean - just took a look on CraigsList for Detroit Metro for Triumphs and there is pretty much NOTHING .........
Old 10-26-2012, 06:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Powerbike

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEcosse View Post
Go Giants!!!!
Game 1... watching Verlander flop like that... so depressing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEcosse View Post
I see what you mean - just took a look on CraigsList for Detroit Metro for Triumphs and there is pretty much NOTHING .........
Anything not Harley or Japanese I4 is rare and at a premium in this area Really not a fan of the bike culture here.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Powerbike

Well I just went and looked at and test rode the bike...

The power is impressive, and scary. The torque is nice. The plastics are in decent shape...

Its got a wunoff brand undertail exhaust... Like this one http://i.imgur.com/9xRvg.jpg

It stalled while warming up, is that normal?

The owner says it has "cams" in it, according the previous owner... unknown make, model, spec.

The owner says the PO also installed an aftermarket header... no way to verify that at this point.

It seems to run great, if loud but it has what appears to be a cheap integrated tail...

It doesn't feel as refined as my Honda. I didn't expect it too
But not sure what to expect and not sure what I'm thinking about the deal at this point.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium
Site Supporter
Pole Position
Main Motorcycle: 1998 T595

Ahks, My '98 will stall during warm-up sometimes, but not usually. There are very few aftermarket cams or exhaust systems available for these engines. There were some developed in England for a race series early on so I'm curious as to who's cams are in the engine and I'm not familiar with that exhaust. Any, at least most, tuning issues can be resolved with TuneECU.

Brad

PS These gen1 engines are mechanically noisey, just in case that caused alarm.

Last edited by bradtx; 10-27-2012 at 07:12 PM. Reason: ps
bradtx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter your valid email address, that can receive an automated confirmation message. Otherwise, you won't be able to gain full access.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.