Last Friday night, I was alone, except for a bottle of cheap Shiraz. I thought it would be a good idea to start hacking up the stock Thruxton fender that was living beneath my bedside table.
I had most of the tools I needed...
- a hacksaw (blunt)
- electrical tape
- a rusty file
- a sanding block
I marked out the rough shape of the cut I wanted to make on one end of the fender. I then took to it with the hacksaw and cut to the line of the tape.
Once cut all the way through, I taped the off cut to the other end of the fender and marked a line to match its size and length.
Both cut ends ended up being fairly dissimilar from one another in terms of shape, so I took to them with a file, so that I could reshape them, measuring and re-taping the lines so I could check the shape as I went. After a bit of a filing and inhalation of powdered plastic, I had the shape I was after.
I then used a medium/fine sanding block and smoothed out the edges ready for paint.
I took the fender to the local paint shop and matched a tinned paint colour to the colour of the fender. I bought a small paint brush and touched up the edges of the fender and left it to dry.
And now, after spending $11 on a tin of paint, a brush and a new sanding block after I lost my old one, I have a newly chopped fender!
2011 Triumph Thruxton
Triumph gel seat, TORS, Ikon 7614 shocks, de-snorkelled, FEK, 1" clip ons, bar end mirrors, 17T front sprocket, O2 sensor elimination, de-activated AI, 150/70 rear tyre, 110/80 front tyre.
My other love, my design business