Pressure-side oil filter (T140) - Page 3 - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums
» Main Menu

Discussion Forums
 » Twins
 » Tiger
 » General
 » RAT

Features
 » Blogs

Motorcycle.com Links

Contribute
 » Photo

Motorcycle Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Classic, Vintage & Veteran For Coventry and Meriden Models. Anything pre-Hinckley goes.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 06:41 PM   #21 (permalink)
Powerbike
Main Motorcycle: '74 T140V Chop

Well, that is fair enough! I don't think about classic Triumphs that much to be fair as I've never had one.

Mine is a mashup and I have a stainless tank. Nothing to worry about there, my tank is always perfect!

Yeah, the top tube being exposed to air probably means a filter off the bottom is a good idea. Even so, I'd still probably just whack a metal screen in then filter post engine.

Do you actually get rust in the top tube then? Surely you'd have an oil mist stopping that?
loxx101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 07:01 PM   #22 (permalink)
Moto Grand Prix
Main Motorcycle: Triumph TR7

Other Motorcycle: T140
Extra Motorcycle: Most of another T140
Well here's my thinking, mad or sane: Most Jap bikes, European bikes, cars & truck wear their engines out at a noticeably slower rate than most British bikes. Most Jap bikes, European bikes, cars & trucks pump their engine oil through a decent filter before it goes into the crank etc. That's what the KR system does, and that's why I like it...
JohnA is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 07:31 PM   #23 (permalink)
Supersport 400
Main Motorcycle: Triton 650

It doesn't matter much whether you put yer filter on the return or feed line, as long as you put one in somewhere. Theory dictates the feed line is best, except in my opinion I would not want the restriction of cold oil thru the filter at startup. So I go with a return filter, which I reckon covers most of the filtration needs in a simple way.
One then uses modern detergent oils, and I'd suggest oil and filter changes at 2000 mls max
Dave
koan58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 07:46 PM   #24 (permalink)
Powerbike

But where do these other engines pump? Do they have a wet sump? Do the pumps suck from the tank?

Putting a filter in pre pump could restrict flow.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 11-23-2012, 07:48 PM   #25 (permalink)
SuperSport
Main Motorcycle: 1978 Bonneville T140V

Quote:
except in my opinion I would not want the restriction of cold oil thru the filter at startup.
Agree with this when a brand-new filter needs to be saturated with oil before it will flow.

Other than that, I disagree!

Last edited by Morris the Cat; 11-23-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Morris the Cat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 08:25 PM   #26 (permalink)
Supersport 600
Main Motorcycle: 1970 Triumph T100C

Other Motorcycle: 2000 NTB
Agreed. Of course, a well tended machine ought not have any filth anyway, so whether one mounts it fore or aft ought not matter much. The biggest concern I would have (as was previously noted with mounting a filter on the supply line) would be whether it is restricting the needs of high RPM oil supply. I'd want to fit a proper analogue oil pressure guage (not simply an idiot light) to ensure adequate flow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxx101 View Post
I can't see how this method could possibly be better than cleaning oil on the return line though?

Surely, as somebody else said (can't find the post to quote for a second) if you put clean oil in the tank, there's no crap in the tank. If you put the filter after the tank but before the crank, you are cleaning clean oil. The crank/engine in general is then making the oil dirty and dumping it back in the tank. Now you have a dirty tank which NEEDS cleaning before it enters the engine. It's basically a solution for a problem that wouldn't exist if the filter was on the return (due to oil being as soon as it's dirty rather than let it sit in a tank).

Engineering wise it's cool. Looks nice, something different etc. Practically it's no different other than having the tank as a "dirty" part of the loop.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:42 PM   #27 (permalink)
Supersport 600
Main Motorcycle: 1970 Triumph T100C

Other Motorcycle: 2000 NTB
I am currently engaged in a full frame-off resto on a mate's 1979 T140D. Despite the bike's questionable history and the tremendous amount of sludge I found in the oil-bearing main tube (and a fully clogged screen that had ripped open) there is surprisingly little rust inside, and no scale to speak of. That said, the fact that over time small particules will enter into the engine without taking necessary steps to prevent this are prominent. I've been mulling the idea of mounting strong computer hard drive magnets in the main tube, and had initially thought that in order to avoid clearance issues, I might fit a filter boss INSIDE the main tube, enabling a spin-on filter to mount flush with the bottom of the frame. If I were a better metal fabricater, I'd do just that, but sadly I'm not, and will need to make use of bits and bobs commercially available. Either way, I've not gone to this much trouble not to mount something up, but I've got to decide the best route.
This is a fully enthralling thread.
Cheers-
Quote:
Originally Posted by loxx101 View Post
Well, that is fair enough! I don't think about classic Triumphs that much to be fair as I've never had one.

Mine is a mashup and I have a stainless tank. Nothing to worry about there, my tank is always perfect!

Yeah, the top tube being exposed to air probably means a filter off the bottom is a good idea. Even so, I'd still probably just whack a metal screen in then filter post engine.

Do you actually get rust in the top tube then? Surely you'd have an oil mist stopping that?
Old 11-24-2012, 04:46 AM   #28 (permalink)
Powerbike

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegaze View Post
I am currently engaged in a full frame-off resto on a mate's 1979 T140D. Despite the bike's questionable history and the tremendous amount of sludge I found in the oil-bearing main tube (and a fully clogged screen that had ripped open) there is surprisingly little rust inside, and no scale to speak of. That said, the fact that over time small particules will enter into the engine without taking necessary steps to prevent this are prominent. I've been mulling the idea of mounting strong computer hard drive magnets in the main tube, and had initially thought that in order to avoid clearance issues, I might fit a filter boss INSIDE the main tube, enabling a spin-on filter to mount flush with the bottom of the frame. If I were a better metal fabricater, I'd do just that, but sadly I'm not, and will need to make use of bits and bobs commercially available. Either way, I've not gone to this much trouble not to mount something up, but I've got to decide the best route.
This is a fully enthralling thread.
Cheers-
If I were on the filter on the feed line kind of guy I would totally steal this idea! Sounds ace.

You could easily just buy a bit of tube, weld a plate to the top of it and weld a fitting in the middle of the plate facing into the tube. Cut the bottom of the existing oil feed bit off the bike and whack it in! Would be fairly easy really.

As I say though, I worry about oil feed so I'll do it on the return.

Just to note, I have a fitting where the bloke before me had a pressure gauge coming off of where I believe there used to be an oil pressure switch? Looks pretty cool down there. Nice cheap mod
Old 11-24-2012, 08:49 AM   #29 (permalink)
Team Owner
Main Motorcycle: T140 E

Other Motorcycle: 56 Plunger Tatty Cub
Extra Motorcycle: CZ winter bike
what you're suggesting is exactly what a "Charlie's" filter is.

It's a B25 filter (that was considered for the T120'40 apparently) shoved up the bottom of the tube.

I had an incident (partly my fault) where the rust from the unused part of the frame was washed down into the main tank. The Charlies filter caught the stuff but a post pump filter would have been too late.
DAVE M is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 03:57 PM   #30 (permalink)
Powerbike

Worrying stuff! I'm not rather pleased that I am using a stainless tank...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter your valid email address, that can receive an automated confirmation message. Otherwise, you won't be able to gain full access.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.