Pressure-side oil filter (T140) - Page 2 - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums
» Main Menu

Discussion Forums
 » Twins
 » Tiger
 » General
 » RAT

Features
 » Blogs

Motorcycle.com Links

Contribute
 » Photo

Motorcycle Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Classic, Vintage & Veteran For Coventry and Meriden Models. Anything pre-Hinckley goes.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2012, 07:11 AM   #11 (permalink)
World SuperBike
Main Motorcycle: Triumph TR7

Other Motorcycle: T140
Extra Motorcycle: Most of another T140
When the gearbox outer cover is fitted you can't see anything different from standard except the pipe to where the oil pressure switch used to go (the switch is relocated to the oil filter housing), and of course the oil filter under the swinging arm. As you say, the oil receives more cooling from airflow around the filter. Additionally, the system holds about half a pint more than standard. The only drawback I'm aware of is that, on later models with neutral indicator light, the switch has to be removed and the hole for it blanked off so that the earlier oil pipes block can be fitted (the later type block has one of the pipes at an odd angle to clear the neutral switch, and this gets in the way of the new oil lines). Personally I don't care at all about losing the neutral light - never had one before so I won't miss it!
JohnA is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2012, 09:10 AM   #12 (permalink)
Powerbike
Main Motorcycle: T140E 1979

Other Motorcycle: Yes
What sort of price is one of these units? Can you still have an oil pressure gauge/light connected?

Cheers
tribsa1954 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2012, 12:35 PM   #13 (permalink)
SuperStock
Main Motorcycle: 1968 T120 UK.

Other Motorcycle: French Army Cub, T20 SL
Extra Motorcycle: BMW 650 Dakar.
You send your timing cover and its about 165 including return postage. Yes you can retain the oil pressure switch.
Dr Fene is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2012, 03:55 PM   #14 (permalink)
Powerbike
Main Motorcycle: T140E 1979

Other Motorcycle: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Fene View Post
You send your timing cover and its about 165 including return postage. Yes you can retain the oil pressure switch.
Many thanks Dr Fene for the info.
tribsa1954 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2012, 11:05 AM   #15 (permalink)
World SuperBike
Main Motorcycle: Triumph TR7

Other Motorcycle: T140
Extra Motorcycle: Most of another T140
Kirby Rowbotham's website is easily found via Google. It has a little info plus his email & phone number etc. He's very helpful. He also offers services not mentioned on his website such as Commando superblend bearing conversions - I got a set of these as well, very reasonably priced.
JohnA is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2012, 11:59 AM   #16 (permalink)
SuperStock
Main Motorcycle: 1968 T120 UK.

Other Motorcycle: French Army Cub, T20 SL
Extra Motorcycle: BMW 650 Dakar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentUnicorn View Post
I had not even heard of it till now. It is interesting. Another advantage i think is that the oil gets a little cooling on its way to the engine. That can't hurt. The plumbing looks to be somewhat out of the way visually. Sure would like to see what is done on the inside of the cover.

m

IMG_4456 by drfene, on Flickr

IMG_4455 by drfene, on Flickr

IMG_4454 by drfene, on Flickr

IMG_4453 by drfene, on Flickr
Dr Fene is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 04:28 PM   #17 (permalink)
Supersport 600
Main Motorcycle: 1970 Triumph T100C

Other Motorcycle: 2000 NTB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Fene View Post
I'm curious as to whether these bits can be fitted by customers, instead of parting with the cover and having the fitting service rendered.

Also, I must admit that I'm not terribly fond of those push-in style fittings for a number of reasons. I imagine it would not be difficult to fit more reliable fittings, and for this reason, especially, I'd rather give drilling the case a go personally.

Thanks for posting all of the good information on these systems. All in all, it seems to be a well thought out product.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:34 PM   #18 (permalink)
Supersport 600
Main Motorcycle: 1970 Triumph T100C

Other Motorcycle: 2000 NTB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Cafe Racer View Post
I researched this issue and decided the return line filter is superior as it catches the oil at it's hottest, dirtiest condition straight from the crancase and filters all the bad stuff out before it gets pumped back to the oil tank and dumps sludge in there.

I too fitted a return line filter onto my 1970 T100C. It worked the trick, and cost me all of an hour's worth of time and less than $20.00, including the filter. It was a prodigious unit, designed for oil filter relocation on competition vehicles.

The arguement that many make about catching debris on the supply line was duly noted prior to my fitting it up, but like you, I surmised that any offending debris would only miss one cycle, and that if the machine was kept clean, it ought never be an issue. I had never considered the notion that mounting it on the return side might not keep the filter constantly submerged in oil, but I genuinely wonder how important that really is, fundamentally.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:40 PM   #19 (permalink)
Powerbike
Main Motorcycle: '74 T140V Chop

I can't see how this method could possibly be better than cleaning oil on the return line though?

Surely, as somebody else said (can't find the post to quote for a second) if you put clean oil in the tank, there's no crap in the tank. If you put the filter after the tank but before the crank, you are cleaning clean oil. The crank/engine in general is then making the oil dirty and dumping it back in the tank. Now you have a dirty tank which NEEDS cleaning before it enters the engine. It's basically a solution for a problem that wouldn't exist if the filter was on the return (due to oil being as soon as it's dirty rather than let it sit in a tank).

Engineering wise it's cool. Looks nice, something different etc. Practically it's no different other than having the tank as a "dirty" part of the loop.
loxx101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 06:19 PM   #20 (permalink)
SuperSport
Main Motorcycle: 1978 Bonneville T140V

The OIF setup originally was designed to use most of the frame tube as an oil reservoir, for cooling.

Testing proved an return side oil 'frothing' condition and the filler location was modified to a lower position- at seat height.

So now we have 40% of the oil supply vessel subject to rusting due to atmosphere and age.

How much of this will enter into the sump is anyone's guess.

How much is there is also questionable?

My money, and my bike is on the 'Charlies' filter!

If a cigarette ash falls into the tube- it will be filtered out before getting into the motor.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter your valid email address, that can receive an automated confirmation message. Otherwise, you won't be able to gain full access.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.