AAA warns E15 gasoline could cause car damage - Page 2 - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums
» Main Menu

Discussion Forums
 » Twins
 » Tiger
 » General
 » RAT

Features
 » Blogs

Motorcycle.com Links

Contribute
 » Photo

Motorcycle Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Biker Hang-Out The Biker Cafe' at the end of the Universe. C'mon in, we talk everything about motorcycles on Earth and beyond.


Sponsored by: Motorcycle Accessory Discount Superstore

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 09:47 AM   #11 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium
Site Supporter
Pole Position
Main Motorcycle: 2010 Bonneville T100
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA USA
Posts: 3,504
Other Motorcycle: 2007 150cc Retro-scooter
So don't buy E15. Pay attention to what goes into your tank. The same arguments got made about removing lead from gasoline too. Why should your old vehicle have control over the rest of the country uses?

If ethanol is so bad, why is it used for some kinds of racing?
__________________
There is a fine line between "hobby", and "mental illness"
Owenbrau is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-01-2012, 09:50 AM   #12 (permalink)
HAP
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I find the entire argument, both sides, regarding E15/E20 fuel to be ridiculous. It is not about finding an alternative for existing and future autos/bikes but the non science, political/money making that selects what is to be supported.

Argue all you want about good vs evil in this quest but when your food bill doubles over the next ten years any savings in fuel costs will look like chump change. IMHO only.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 10:01 AM   #13 (permalink)
Banned
SuperBike
Main Motorcycle: 1965 650 T120R
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Jackson California
Posts: 1,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owenbrau View Post
So don't buy E15. Pay attention to what goes into your tank. The same arguments got made about removing lead from gasoline too. *Why should your old vehicle have control over the rest of the country uses?

If ethanol is so bad, why is it used for some kinds of racing?
Please tell us all what to do when some states DO NOT require pumps to be labeled as to what is flowing through them except for them to say 87 Oct,89 Oct and 91 Oct.

*Because millions of us bought and paid or build our Vintage Bikes and Vehicles with hard earned cash and often times a lot of long hours and more with the intent of not wanting to buy a newer vehicle or bike ever again. Then again some of us are just old school and make out things last as long as possible so we have the funding for other projects. Some even save up that way to send their kids to college, or a trip once a year out of state or any number of things. We watch our funding wisely so we do not have to be pressured in to buying a new bike or vehicle just to keep up with the new tends.As said though some of us were just raised old school. It is a dying form of a much easier way of life.
Chuck95642 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 11:52 AM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
Formula Extreme
Main Motorcycle: T100
 
Dan McGrath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: South Brunswick, N.J.
Posts: 858
Other Motorcycle: basket case Honda Scrambl
Get the Ethanol out of the fuel.
Dan McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 01:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium
Site Supporter
Pole Position
Main Motorcycle: 2010 Bonneville T100
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA USA
Posts: 3,504
Other Motorcycle: 2007 150cc Retro-scooter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck95642 View Post
Please tell us all what to do when some states DO NOT require pumps to be labeled as to what is flowing through them except for them to say 87 Oct,89 Oct and 91 Oct.

*Because millions of us bought and paid or build our Vintage Bikes and Vehicles with hard earned cash and often times a lot of long hours and more with the intent of not wanting to buy a newer vehicle or bike ever again. Then again some of us are just old school and make out things last as long as possible so we have the funding for other projects. Some even save up that way to send their kids to college, or a trip once a year out of state or any number of things. We watch our funding wisely so we do not have to be pressured in to buying a new bike or vehicle just to keep up with the new tends.As said though some of us were just raised old school. It is a dying form of a much easier way of life.
Then work to require them to post it. Fact is, most vehicles handle even E15 just fine, including our modern bikes. Buy from sources that you know what you are getting. But don't blame ethanol for political decisions. States that don't require marking do so because of pressure from fuel venders fearing the prejudice against it.

Your old bike does not justify banning a fuel that my new one handles just fine. Why should those relatively few vehicles dictate what everyone else uses? Because you are "old school"? That's a ludicrous argument.

The sourcing of ethanol is a different issue. End corn subsidies, and switch to non-food crops. The tech is there, no one does it because of the subsidies for corn.

Making insults does not help your argument. Quite the opposite, actually.
__________________
There is a fine line between "hobby", and "mental illness"

Last edited by Owenbrau; 12-01-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Owenbrau is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 02:03 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned
SuperBike
Main Motorcycle: 1965 650 T120R
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Jackson California
Posts: 1,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owenbrau View Post

Making insults does not help your argument. Quite the opposite, actually.
What is an insult to one is blunt truth to others.
Chuck95642 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 02:56 PM   #17 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium
Site Supporter
Pole Position
Main Motorcycle: 2010 Bonneville T100
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA USA
Posts: 3,504
Other Motorcycle: 2007 150cc Retro-scooter
Get a horse then.
__________________
There is a fine line between "hobby", and "mental illness"
Owenbrau is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 10:53 PM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Member
SuperBike
Main Motorcycle: 2011 Tbird
 
BMK9251's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 1,672
Other Motorcycle: 2011 Tbird
Extra Motorcycle: 2011 Tbird
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owenbrau View Post
So don't buy E15. Pay attention to what goes into your tank. The same arguments got made about removing lead from gasoline too. Why should your old vehicle have control over the rest of the country uses?

If ethanol is so bad, why is it used for some kinds of racing?
Many 2012 vehicles cannot use E15 because of the combustion temperatures and damage to fuel system parts. I am a consultant to the automotive industry and experts were not consulted before making this fuel as to it's damaging effects on more than 70% of the nations current automotive fleet. They need to phase it in over a longer period of time. So, people who do not understand the technical aspects of this type of national change should not be allowed to make the decisions to use it. Very simple really. The damage litigation will be huge.
BMK9251 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 12:11 AM   #19 (permalink)
Mockerator
Site Supporter
Team Owner
Main Motorcycle: 2006 Thruxton
 
jonkster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 5,125
Other Motorcycle: 1971 T120
Extra Motorcycle: Ossa 6 day replica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck95642 View Post
*Because millions of us bought and paid or build our Vintage Bikes and Vehicles with hard earned cash and often times a lot of long hours and more with the intent of not wanting to buy a newer vehicle or bike ever again. Then again some of us are just old school and make out things last as long as possible so we have the funding for other projects. Some even save up that way to send their kids to college, or a trip once a year out of state or any number of things. We watch our funding wisely so we do not have to be pressured in to buying a new bike or vehicle just to keep up with the new tends.As said though some of us were just raised old school. It is a dying form of a much easier way of life.

cheers Chuck! Brilliant idea!

You have given me a corker of new justification I can run by my wife to explain the large amount of money and time I have sunk into my '71 Bonnie and my old ute and old valve radios (and numerous other old pieces of technology and machinery etc I keep restoring and cluttering the shed with because she won't allow them in the house ).

It isn't about me and what I enjoy dear! Honest!

I am only doing it to save us money!



wish me luck
__________________
stumble trip stumble trip
jonkster is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 12:21 AM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Member
Commentator
Main Motorcycle: 72 Bonneville T120RV
 
triumpt120rv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 9,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owenbrau View Post
Get a horse then.
Original "old school" ride.
triumpt120rv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter your valid email address, that can receive an automated confirmation message. Otherwise, you won't be able to gain full access.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
summer gasoline coloradobob Classic, Vintage & Veteran 15 03-31-2012 06:17 PM
What type of gasoline do you use? Decker Twins Technical Talk 58 06-17-2009 01:30 PM
Gasoline is getting really bad. TOMKRILL Twins Talk 56 08-07-2007 12:40 AM
City Gasoline vs Country Gasoline dawgfan Twins Talk 7 06-19-2006 06:51 PM
What Gasoline does everyone use and why? BillyRaff Twins Talk 23 05-09-2006 10:16 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:58 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Forum Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum Ninja H2 Forum Ducati Scrambler Forum Kawasaki Ninja 250SL Forum

Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.