Originally Posted by welshrob
1. In your location, can you ride without a helmet?
2. If you are allowed to ride without a helmet in your state, do you feel like you are ever alienated by other bikers, if you CHOOSE to wear one?
3. If you have a helmet law, do the cops enforce it rigidly or can you ride around in a Davida pudding basin or SOA type skull cap,or some non approved novelty helmet, ie the Biltwell, as per my avatar?
4. If you live in a state where you don`t have to wear helmets, are there any encouragements or media campaigns, or pressure to wear one?
1. Yes. A rider can go helmetless if he or she is older than 21 and has more than two years of riding experience or has completed an MSF course. Riders on learner's permits must wear a helmet.
2. No. Most of the riders I know wear always wear a helmet.
3. As long as the helmet has the following, it's legal:
- Name or identification of manufacturer
- Precise model designation
- Month and year the helmet was manufactured
- A “DOT” sticker can be centered on the back of the outer shell of the helmet.
4. I've never seen one but then I've never paid attention to it, either. I wear my helmet regardless. During the MSF course, they really preached the use of helmets, which is to expected in a safety course.