Knife Carry - Page 14 - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums

Biker Hang-Out The Biker Cafe' at the end of the Universe. C'mon in, we talk everything about motorcycles on Earth and beyond.


Sponsored by: Motorcycle Accessory Discount Superstore

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #131 of 189 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 11:56 PM
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Formula Extreme
Main Motorcycle: 2014 Scram "The Crow"
 
Draeger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 587
Other Motorcycle: 98 Honda Valkyrie
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMC View Post

What I do have training in is usage of a firearm. If you are looking for a self-defense tool, then I would look into purchasing a firearm and more importantly, training in the usage of that firearm, and a carry permit. My standard carry gun is a Glock 26. It's a compact little firearm and holds 10+1 rounds of 9mm. Also, as others have said, knives work better close up and most folks don't realize how much ground most attackers can cover before you draw your gun. So as I originally stated, if you're afraid, beat feet. If you decide to go with a gun get lots of training and remember, your first thought in a dangerous situation should still be: get the hell out of there.
That's all great... but for those of us who live in jurisdictions where we can't carry a CCW handgun, we have to consider other options.

Knives are the oldest, most reliable, and most proven weapon in the history of humankind. (ok, maybe the wooden club is older).

Countless million 'victims' have protected themselves with a knife over the centuries. I suspect many of them were completely untrained. And as anyone who is familiar with the Tueller Drill knows, having a gun in close quarters against a determined knifer is no guarantee of security.

You can carry a knife in virtually any jurisdiction on the planet and get away with it. I'm not saying that it will always be legal, but I can tell you for certain that if you are for some reason patted down by a cop and he produces a knife you at least have a chance to explain it is for peeling the apple in your backpack. If he finds a gun... well, they don't make very good apple peelers.

I live in a jurisdiction where I don't need to carry a gun. Small town, very peaceful, and I'm not involved in any sort of criminal activity or affiliation. That alone will keep me out of 99% of problems.

For the other 1% I've been training in H2H combatives for 20 years as a hobby and in knife defense for just about as long. And if you've ever tried to disarm an 'untrained' woman with a knife in an adrenalized training scenario you know exactly how hard it is. It's usually impossible to do without getting cut ... meaning at the very least the attacker will leave their DNA all over the scene.

Someone at church last week asked if anyone had a knife because they had to cut some plastic ties around a package. When I produced mine they said "I knew you would have a knife! What do you carry that for?" I just looked at them and said "I'm opening YOUR package for you because you didn't have a tool to do it!?!?!"

Why WOULDN'T you carry a small, useful tool that could potentially save your life someday?

What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Draeger is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #132 of 189 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 06:42 PM
Lifetime Premium
Site Supporter
Grand Prix 500
Main Motorcycle: 05 Harley Superglide
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Palmetto, Florida
Posts: 145
Other Motorcycle: May trade for new 900ST
Extra Motorcycle: 05 Suzuki S40
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draeger View Post
That's all great... but for those of us who live in jurisdictions where we can't carry a CCW handgun, we have to consider other options.

Knives are the oldest, most reliable, and most proven weapon in the history of humankind. (ok, maybe the wooden club is older).

Countless million 'victims' have protected themselves with a knife over the centuries. I suspect many of them were completely untrained. And as anyone who is familiar with the Tueller Drill knows, having a gun in close quarters against a determined knifer is no guarantee of security.

You can carry a knife in virtually any jurisdiction on the planet and get away with it. I'm not saying that it will always be legal, but I can tell you for certain that if you are for some reason patted down by a cop and he produces a knife you at least have a chance to explain it is for peeling the apple in your backpack. If he finds a gun... well, they don't make very good apple peelers.

I live in a jurisdiction where I don't need to carry a gun. Small town, very peaceful, and I'm not involved in any sort of criminal activity or affiliation. That alone will keep me out of 99% of problems.

For the other 1% I've been training in H2H combatives for 20 years as a hobby and in knife defense for just about as long. And if you've ever tried to disarm an 'untrained' woman with a knife in an adrenalized training scenario you know exactly how hard it is. It's usually impossible to do without getting cut ... meaning at the very least the attacker will leave their DNA all over the scene.

Someone at church last week asked if anyone had a knife because they had to cut some plastic ties around a package. When I produced mine they said "I knew you would have a knife! What do you carry that for?" I just looked at them and said "I'm opening YOUR package for you because you didn't have a tool to do it!?!?!"

Why WOULDN'T you carry a small, useful tool that could potentially save your life someday?
You bring a knife, i am bringing BEAR SPRAY! A legal, stand off weapon!
cwood is offline  
post #133 of 189 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 08:07 PM
Lifetime Premium
Site Supporter
Team Owner
Main Motorcycle: 2013 Street Triple R
 
BKK Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NOVA
Posts: 5,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogtired View Post
Lee, the police here know only too well when it comes to a drawn knife V. gun issue, you need a hell of a large space to have an even chance with a gun. And that is with the gun in a holster on their hip, and not under a jacket or in a pocket. I am betting I could cover 15 yards and tap you on the shoulder before you could draw your weapon.

Same with trying to get a knife out of a pocket.

Just saying.
Dog,

The LAPD studied this and found the distance was more like 21 feet, or almost 7 of your meters.

I'm sort of new around here, so I'll give a little of my CV: I'm a retired U.S. Marine (Reserve), and have been a federal LEO for the last 21 years. I've been trained in just about every weapon from an entrenching tool to a 155mm howitzer (some more, some less). A knife as a defensive weapon is really only a good idea when it's very long and fixed to the end of a rifle. It's a great offensive weapon when stealth and surprise is necessary, but other than that it's better left for cutting boxes or dressing game. That being said, this is one of my favorite carry tools:



Unfortunately, since I am left handed, it's a little inconvenient to deploy the blade on the Skeletool. So, when the latest farkle for the bike shows up in the mail and speed is a necessity, I recently got one of these:



It has a reversible pocket clip, and the locking/unlocking mechanism is fully ambidextrous.
BKK Jack is online now  
post #134 of 189 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 08:29 PM
Lifetime Premium
Site Supporter
Supernova
Main Motorcycle: 2011 Sprint GT 1050
 
DaveM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Brisbane Australia
Posts: 23,103
Other Motorcycle: 2004 Daytona 955
Extra Motorcycle: Previously - Many
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Carbon View Post
Dave,I can just picture that big blue smiling face going, mine mine mine!
that avitar makes me laugh
Well sorry but now it's a little green Martian
DaveM is offline  
post #135 of 189 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 08:51 PM
Senior Member
World SuperBike
Main Motorcycle: 2013 Speed Triple
 
Cburt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 2,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draeger View Post
Someone at church last week asked if anyone had a knife because they had to cut some plastic ties around a package. When I produced mine they said "I knew you would have a knife! What do you carry that for?" I just looked at them and said "I'm opening YOUR package for you because you didn't have a tool to do it!?!?!"

Why WOULDN'T you carry a small, useful tool that could potentially save your life someday?
Priceless.
Cburt is online now  
post #136 of 189 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 10:24 PM
Senior Member
Site Supporter
Pole Position
Main Motorcycle: 2010 Bonnie Black MAG
 
BrewDudeBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Johns Creek Georgia
Posts: 3,502
Other Motorcycle: Dreaming of an Explorer
Extra Motorcycle: Dreaming of a KTM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKK Jack View Post

Unfortunately, since I am left handed, it's a little inconvenient to deploy the blade on the Skeletool. So, when the latest farkle for the bike shows up in the mail and speed is a necessity, I recently got one of these:



It has a reversible pocket clip, and the locking/unlocking mechanism is fully ambidextrous.
I am a lefty too and have been looking for a knife like that. But $210? Maybe have to wait for Christmas....

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

BrewDudeBob is offline  
post #137 of 189 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 10:31 PM
Lifetime Premium
Site Supporter
SuperBike
Main Motorcycle: 2009 Daytona 675
 
leemadinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Riverside, California
Posts: 1,717
Other Motorcycle: 2008 America
That's not a knife . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLS3RGesIFQ



Lee
leemadinger is offline  
post #138 of 189 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 11:31 PM
Banned
Commentator
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Doggone
Posts: 9,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKK Jack View Post
a 155mm howitzer
In am guessing you can't get a permit for one of those...
Dang, nice toy!
dogtired is offline  
post #139 of 189 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 09:26 AM
Lifetime Premium
Site Supporter
Team Owner
Main Motorcycle: 2013 Street Triple R
 
BKK Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NOVA
Posts: 5,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogtired View Post
In am guessing you can't get a permit for one of those...
Dang, nice toy!
They're also not well suited to pocket carry. 'Tis a shame, because as an artillery officer, that's the one with which I have the most training/experience.

"If it's worth killing, it's worth overkilling."
BKK Jack is online now  
post #140 of 189 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 07:30 PM
Senior Member
SuperBike
Main Motorcycle: '06 Speed Triple
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NorCal
Posts: 1,748
Other Motorcycle: '96 Adventurer Cafe Racer
Extra Motorcycle: Not any more
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewDudeBob View Post
I am a lefty too and have been looking for a knife like that. But $210? Maybe have to wait for Christmas....
I'm not a knife expert so I can't tell what specifically makes the SOG worth $210, but I'm pretty sure something like my simply spyderco endura would work pretty well left handed since the clip is reversible. It's certainly easy enough to open one handed, if perhaps not as fast as some designs. On the other hand, it's only about $60.

http://www.knivesplus.com/spydercokn...p-c10psfg.html

Don
'06 Speed Triple
'96 Adventurer Cafe Racer
and a bunch of other stuff
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
zelatore is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options
All posts must adhere to Forum Rules

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter your valid email address, that can receive an automated confirmation message. Otherwise, you won't be able to gain full access.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do you carry a knife? ruger Biker Hang-Out 183 06-10-2012 01:52 AM
ST transmission :like a hot knife through butter sql-lover Street Triple Forum 8 05-06-2012 02:25 PM
Pocket Knife ElPaso Biker Hang-Out 36 11-14-2007 01:35 AM
knife cafecruzin Biker Hang-Out 5 06-12-2007 03:15 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome