Grand Prix 125
Main Motorcycle: 2007 T100
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Eugene, OR
Other Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F800ST
Grip replacement--a story
Just thought I'd post my experiences last night replacing my stock grips for Kuryakyn Iso-grips on my 2007 T100...I couldn't find a thread that explained how it was done, so here goes. I took a few pics with my cell phone...I'll post them later tonight.
On the clutch side, I first took a metal shish-kabob skewer and ran it between the grip and the handlebar, until I could see it poking out the other side just a bit. Then, I took a second skewer and ran it through the same way on the other side of the grip. I took a little WD40 and sprayed it in the gap made by the skewers, turned and pulled and removed them. It really didn't take much pressure at all...I think the metal skewers agains the metal handlebar really helped.
The iso-grips are two different diameters for the clutch and throttle side, so make sure you use the right one (the clutch side is smaller). The iso-grip package comes with a 1 1/2'' plastic spacer due to the different in length between the iso's and the stock grips...their instructions are to cut the spacer roughly in half and use it one half for the clutch and the other for the throttle side. However, I did not use the spacer on the clutch side. After testing the grip in place on the clutch side, I didn't feel any space or give in the rubber on the grip near the end of the bar, so I chose to leave the spacer off. I used about 1/2 of one of the included "black widow" glue tubes on the bar, then slide the handlebar into place. Despite the "warning" about instant adhesion in the absence of air, I had about 15 seconds where the grip could be adjusted...I rotated it a bit so it lined up the way I wanted, and done.
The throttle side was a much bigger PITA. I used the same method to remove the throttle side grip as the clutch side, though you need to slip the skewers in between the black plastic throttle sleeve and the grip (not between the sleeve and the handlebar). Just a little WD40 in the gap that the skewer creates and rotation clockwise and the grip slid off pretty easily. Now you just have the exposed throttle sleeve. When I first attempted to slide the iso-grip into place, the diameter of the grip rubbers was too small to slide over the sleeve. I had to sand the grooves on the throttle sleeve off completely (the horizontal grooves across the sleeve as well as the 4 "placeholder" grooves near the end of the handlebar). Even then, after rubbing some WD40 on the plastic sleeve, the iso-grip wouldn't slide into place without extreme effort, and the rubber would stick out from steel in the grip, which I think would compromise the integrity of the rubber over time, was uncomfortable, and looked like crap.
I ended up sanding down the inside of the grip rubbers with a burnishing attachment on my Dremel, just enough so that the rubbers wouldn't stick out once the grip was in place. Even after using the Dremel on the rubbers, it still took a lot of effort and a little WD40 to get the grip into place, but once there, it looked and felt great. I did need to use the plastic insert on the throttle side as there was definitely some give in the rubber towards the end of the handlebar without it.
Finally, for better or worse, I decided not to use any glue on the throttle side. I used a silver Sharpie to place a small dot on the grip itself and on the housing so that they align. I'm going to ride this week and monitor any shifting of the grip relative to the starter/kill switch housing. If there's any at all, I'll remove the grip and use glue to keep it in place, though at present, it takes two hands and a ton of pressure to get the grip to move at all, so I'm not expecting to need to do so.
Grips are now in place...I went on a ride last night and rode to work this morning...the grips feel great and the iso-grip rubber is much more forgiving than the stock. I could see riding all day with these!
Like I said, I'll post some pics when I get home.