Cross Country on my T100? - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums
Air Cooled Twins Talk Discussion of Hinckley Triumph Twin related matters and topics.

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium
Site Supporter
SuperSport
Main Motorcycle: Bonneville T100 SMQ SE

Cross Country on my T100?

Got a need to be in Ottawa end of next month (April)....from Vancouver. Should I even be considering this on the Bonne? Too early in the season for weather issues?

Google says 4500 KM's (46 hrs) taking the all Canada route (don't need any Border crossing non-sense thank you).

I can take my time...no need to push it.

2013 T100 Steve McQueen; +NH Togas; -SAI; -O2; +Breathe; +TTP#3; +Avon RoadRiders; +Iron&Resin Sidebag; +Kisan Auto-Off Indicators & BrakeLight Flasher; +MatchlessClueless LED Brake & Indicators; +LED 3000 Lumens Headlamp; +DeCosse Keyless system
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 11:14 PM
Formula Extreme
Main Motorcycle: '07 Bonneville Black

Other Motorcycle: '78 Kawasaki KZ750B
Extra Motorcycle: '06 Speed Triple
The Bonneville is more than capable of doing the trip.
The question is..........are you?

Rex
Tornado99 likes this.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 03:53 AM
Formula Extreme
Main Motorcycle: 2015 Triumph Thruxton

Other Motorcycle: none
Extra Motorcycle: none
Isn't it still winter in Canada in April?

TTP Tune#3, NH Toga's, Bitubo shocks, D9 bracket, sonic fork springs-90kg, 19 toother, smoked blinker lenses, FP stealth levers, Dime City steering damper, Motone brake relo bracket, gaiters, front fender stay, shock bolt dress up, OEM grab rail.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 06:12 AM
Formula Extreme
Main Motorcycle: 06 Speedmaster

Other Motorcycle: 01 Sprint RS (Sold)
Your bike would love the trip and do it with ease. As long as you have appropriate gear for the weather you should be fine also. With the strange spring we have though I would think you should be prepared to hole up for a couple of days if the weather takes another of its winter again, or yet as in your case, turns.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 10:28 AM
6t
SuperSport
Main Motorcycle: The one that I am on

Other Motorcycle: 2002 Bonneville America
Extra Motorcycle: Honda RC30
I did Halifax to Barbour Alabama in October on my T100 for the vintage races. Weather was miserable coming back up, cold (well not Eastern Canada winter cold but West Coast Canada cold) and was not pleasant. It's gonna get colder when you get closer to QC. The motorcycle is up for it, just can't imagine it would be fun droning along the Trans Canada and if you take the side roads there probably won't be much open or much to see at that time of year.

2002 T100 Anniversary. Lucifer Orange no more, "Scrambled"
Brakes and suspension, various Scrambler parts, speedo/tach in headlamp .
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 02:35 PM
World SuperBike
Main Motorcycle: '17 Thrux R

Other Motorcycle: '02 Bonnie
My first question is, have you ever driven that route in a car, even in the summer? If you have, you're familiar with mile after mile of straight flat road. It doesn't get even remotely interesting until you get to Ontario, and even that part of the Trans Canada is not what most people would call great motorcycle roads. Throw in some stretches that are potholed from severe winters, and frequently through the prairies winds strong enough that they take a lot of energy to ride through. Add the distinct possibility of a snowstorm that can even happen in May. I think you'd be lucky to make it through the mountain passes in BC/Alberta this time of year much less the rest of the way.

But don't let my lack of enthusiasm stop you. Bad decisions make good stories. Post up your ride report with pics.

TR: NRC FEK, Pazzos, CRG's, BC blinkers, Rizoma. '02: Ikons , Intiminators, tubeless PR4's, Superbrace, Dom T's, FCR39's, 813-S cam, ARK, 520 chain, NB mini guages, Lucas & Euro, TR mirrors, Pazzos, Bates, Spencer Saddle, ...and a centerstand.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium
Site Supporter
SuperSport
Main Motorcycle: Bonneville T100 SMQ SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve betts View Post
My first question is, have you ever driven that route in a car, even in the summer? If you have, you're familiar with mile after mile of straight flat road. It doesn't get even remotely interesting until you get to Ontario, and even that part of the Trans Canada is not what most people would call great motorcycle roads. Throw in some stretches that are potholed from severe winters, and frequently through the prairies winds strong enough that they take a lot of energy to ride through. Add the distinct possibility of a snowstorm that can even happen in May. I think you'd be lucky to make it through the mountain passes in BC/Alberta this time of year much less the rest of the way.

But don't let my lack of enthusiasm stop you. Bad decisions make good stories. Post up your ride report with pics.
Never driven x-country...something always wanted to do. But I see your point of the route not being terribly interesting. Weather is a big concern and combined with crossing the rockies...likely too much for this Hombre.

I do hope to make out to Alberta this season...I want to visit Drumheller and other dino-related sites.

2013 T100 Steve McQueen; +NH Togas; -SAI; -O2; +Breathe; +TTP#3; +Avon RoadRiders; +Iron&Resin Sidebag; +Kisan Auto-Off Indicators & BrakeLight Flasher; +MatchlessClueless LED Brake & Indicators; +LED 3000 Lumens Headlamp; +DeCosse Keyless system
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 03:34 PM
SuperStock
Main Motorcycle: 2014 Bonneville

Other Motorcycle: A second 2014 Bonneville!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve betts View Post

^ What he said ^

"The two most important days of your life are the day you are born, and the day you find out why" -Mark Twain
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 11:03 PM
Supersport 400
Main Motorcycle: 2007 Blk&Red Triumph T100

Other Motorcycle: '86 Red 883 Evo Sportster
Extra Motorcycle: '81 Red GS450E Suzuki
You might want to rethink border crossing and take a route through the northern US. To avoid traffic along the south end of Chicago which is not a problem if you are accustomed to busy city freeway traffic, you can take the high speed ferry across Lake Michigan from Milwaukee to Muskegon, MI if the timing will work for you; starts April 28. Unfortunately the coal and steam powered SS Badger ferry from Manitowoc, WI to Luddington, MI does not begin until May 19. You could take one of these on your return trip. The Milwaukee ferry transported our car too. The SS Badger is large enough to hold semi-trucks as well as cars.

The prices for transport are quite reasonable.

Certainly you can have your bike transported on either of these.

By the way, I often see Canadian trucks here in WI.

Last edited by Ntnbutrbl; 03-18-2017 at 11:29 PM.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 12:42 AM
Team Owner
Main Motorcycle: Bonneville black 2007

Other Motorcycle: Honda CBR600RR
Extra Motorcycle: Honda CB500F
April could be a bad time of year for that trip? The weather still not predictable out in the Pacific. That can blow in some bad stuff?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply
All posts must adhere to Forum Rules

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter your valid email address, that can receive an automated confirmation message. Otherwise, you won't be able to gain full access.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode