Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

My new Scooter! $100 barn find...sort of

40K views 365 replies 38 participants last post by  Tripps 
#1 · (Edited)
Score! Been looking for a scooter for a few months and just picked this up for next to nothing. No title, key or paperwork or any kind but it has spark and good plastic, that's worth the money right there. Not sure of the year but it's a Honda Elite 150 so it can only be one of four years that they made them. If I can't get it running I can easily make money on the plastic and parts. 3K miles, only problem with the plastic is a scratch on the front fender and a broken turn signal which can be repaired. This the very cool, flip up headlight model. It'll be coming in the house tomorrow so I can work on it at my leisure.

I'm not worried about the lack of paperwork unless it turns out stolen. I can register it and get a title in either VT or NH not sure which but it's easy enough from what I've read.
The used exhaust will sell on eBay for more than I paid so if I can't get it running it'll be parted out. I hope I can get it running though. Sounds like it could be as simple to fix as a cheap CDI unit from what I've read online today.

See less See more
#318 ·
I wave at scooters, but they rarely wave back, different culture, I guess. I rode through Binghamton on my way to Jersey earlier this week, I forgot how pretty the country was around there, and to be honest, how far it was.

#319 ·
You should have let me know you were passing through, I'd have ridden with you for awhile. It's a good 5 hour ride from there to here I'd guess.
You're right, most scoots don't wave for some reason. I'm not sure if it's because they don't know about the wave or if it's just because they're rugged individualist that don't need to conform. I'm guess the later. I've heard of some scoots getting the "pullback" wave. That's when a motorcycle starts to initiate the biker wave but then realizes it's a scooter and pulls his hand back to the bars without completely finishing the wave. I've yet to experience that yet but am looking forward to my first one.:D

#320 ·
I think mostly scooterists just aren't expecting the wave, because they get snubbed probably 9 out of 10 times by motorcycles. Since they aren't looking for it, they probably realize late that you are waving, and then think "oh ****" and can't get the wave off before you pass. Seriously. Speaking from experience.

#324 ·
No kidding. Focus is really important the faster you go on those tiny wheels. I have one stretch of 4 lane (45mph) that I go full throttle (around 60mph) on every day. It's clean pavement but there are expansion joints on a bridge that give me quite a jolt. I don't wave when I'm full throttle that's for sure. I'm scared to take a hand off the bars at those speeds.:eek:

#326 ·
I wouldn't have had time, Jim, I had to drop my bike in Jersey, my bud followed me, and be home the same day, we slabbed it all the way, 17 hour round trip. Work the next day. :( I shouldn't really say rarely, re scooters, but less often than motorcycles, surely.

#340 ·
Scooter thread will NEVER die!

Sooooo. Today I got the Tiger put back together and took it for it's first ride of 2014. Awesome as always. Tons of power and just fun to ride. I ride my DR650 all winter so that's all I've ridden since November I think. Love the DR also, lot's of fun and a tractor I know I can count on. So what's this got to do with scooters Jim you're asking? Well, I put the battery back in the Aprilia scoot and took it out for it's first ride, right after the Tiger. Smiles per mile???? It still kicks the DR and Tiger in that category. I'm never going to be without a scooter....ever.Might be without a big bike if the Tiger ever bites it, and the DR won't last for ever and might get replaced with a DRZ or who knows what but the scooter will always be there. Preferably 150-250 max. I'm hoping the Aprilia is around for a long long time cuz it kicks ass for a tiny little machine.

ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY SCOOTER!!!

the Ape is hidden behind the others but will rule the world when asked to abide.

#341 ·
Stairway To Heaven?

Today I saw a guy riding a scooter with a six-foot aluminum step ladder that he flipped upside down with the top of the ladder resting in front of him on the foot board. The ladder was at a slight angle slanted towards the rear at the top (aerodynamics?) and he held it up with his head poking out around the 4th and 5th step with the side rails resting on his shoulders. To add to the surrealism, he was wearing a WWII German military helmet.

:eek:

#344 ·
For me it's nice having the storage for groceries and beer. That space between your feet can carry a case of beer.
If you're a weekend DIY renovator the scooter is great for Home Depot runs. You can park right beside the entrance doors and get in and out of there quick. I almost looked for excuses to run out of materials just so I could take a break and take a cool-off ride to the Depot.

P.S. Don't park near the Tradesman Entrance-tons of screws and nails on the ground.

#352 ·
Yep. It's 2-stroke, a 2004 model, before they switched to 4-stroke. Now they even have automatic LOL. Not my cup of tea, but I guess good for those who can't shift or don't care to. Personally, I like the 2-stroke too. Nice and smokey. I don't have a picture handy (I'll grab a current one and post it at some point), but it is silver and looks pretty much like this one, except without the cutie and with more than a little rash:

#356 ·
That's awesome, Jim, and a great color, what are they asking?

Side note- I'm looking at 2 different Dr650s, local and semi local, I may have one this week.

#357 ·
I asked Jess from Boston to go by and have a look at it. You remember she has the Ural side hack and the Tiger along with the Thruxton. What better test rider to send to the scene. I don't really have room for it but the price is right ($3500) and it's basically new. If someone buys it out from under me for posting here I won't loose sleep but I think it belongs here. I'm gonna wait to see what Jess has to say tomorrow. It'd be a great ride home on that thing. Probably 2 day trip at 45mph.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.